“Friendly Tasting But Overpriced Wines” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 26 things to do in Rutherford
Las Vegas, Nevada
112 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 393 helpful votes
“Friendly Tasting But Overpriced Wines”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

It amazes me that this place doesn't require an appointment because the tasting room is so small that even 6 guests make it feel crowded. The tasting room is really just in the chilly barrel room so you get a nice ambiance (but bring a sweater, it's cold in there)! If you like big red wines, you should try to stop in for a tasting.

Our hostesses were very friendly and seemed to be having fun pouring the wines. One even entertained us with a couple of songs on her guitar. The tasting was a little too leisurely for me so be sure to allow at least 45 minutes for your tasting. There are no seats in the small tasting room so be advised that you must stand for the duration of your tasting. The hostesses were professional and answered all questions about the wine (no matter how elementary or advanced). I was also impressed when we finished our tasting they asked if we'd like to revisit any of the wines (nice touch).

The wines themselves were very good but great gooly moogly were they OVERPRICED. I'm sorry but none of the wines tasted like they should be priced over $50 - $60 max and there were some super pricey bottles (in the $150 + range) that didn't warrant their price tags. I'm not saying the wines were bad, they were just overpriced. And there's not much I hate more than an overpriced wine!

The tasting is $20 per person (sadly, that's a "normal" price for a wine tasting in Napa Valley these days) but at least it includes a very nice souvenir wine glass. We shared a tasting (no problem to do this) and I gave my glass to a nice newlywed couple who were tasting next to us. I believe they did waive the tasting fee if you purchased wine, but it had to be a fairly expensive bottle.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank moviegal226

Ann Arbor, Michigan
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Good wines not good service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

We visited Pina since it was off-the-beaten path. Pina is very small, and the tasting room is really more of a storage area than an official tasting room. While we enjoyed the charm of the smaller winery, there wasn't enough space to accommodate all of the tasters. The two servers also seemed either really flighty or half-inebriated. Pina is a place to go to taste some good wines but not if you really want to learn anything about them.

Visited April 2014
San Jose, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Cabs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

One of my favorite wineries in the valley. Their cabs rock! And I've had the really REALLY expensive cabs in the valley but, Pina's cabernet's are as good, if not better, at a quarter of the price.

If you're looking for a tour, or your in a large party or you're looking for a fancy winery, this place is probably going to disappoint. It's literally a garage aside of a hill. Like I said, if you want top notch cab (without the tourist trap feel of cabs) visit Pina. Hopefully, Clair's working to pour your flight. Enjoy.

Visited April 2014
Grover Beach, California
3 attraction reviews
“Best Cabs in the Valley”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

It was so refreshing to visit a winery that was an actual working winery! The owner was there to talk to about his wines and Lesley (behind the bar) knew the family history so well I thought she was part of the family. She said she was Friday/Saturday, but did feel like part of the Pina Family. It seemed busy for a Friday, but we tasted 5 wines for $20. They were the best and biggest cabs I'd tasted all week! Then she refunded me the tasting fee when I purchased each of the cabs we tasted. It was a wonderful experience. Fun, Fun, Fun... I'm so happy that our driver took us there!

Visited November 2013
Reno, Nevada
628 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 418 helpful votes
“The staff was crocked”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We arrived late in the day on Saturday after calling ahead for a reservation. This is definitely a smaller winery and that's part of the charm. There were 2 gals working the tasting room. They both seemed drunk and a bit clueless. The majority owner stopped by briefly to say hello-nice touch. Buying wine was a task as it was near impossible to get either of the girl's attention. We did eventually make a transaction and I think we will love the wine but it was a bit ridiculous. I'm hoping this is not the norm and still recommend this winery.

Visited October 2013