“Nice but bring your ear plugs”

The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed 15 June 2011

The hotel is beautiful, but there is a reason the hotel supplies ear plugs in the room. You can hear anyone walking on the tile floor in the hallway or opening their room door down the hall.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank lynstersf
Citizenmanagement, General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2011

Dear lynstersf,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review about your experience. We are glad you liked the hotel. Regarding the noise level, Based on your feedback and other guets input we are installing carpet in the tile hallway which was on the floor you stayed on. This will eliminate the noise issues you experienced. We anticipate the carpet being installed by mid July.

Thnak you again, we look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed for 3 nights and found the Citizen Hotel to be a delight. Friendly, helpful staff comfortable bed in a beautiful room with terrific view of the California State Capital.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank MarieC80
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I stayed at the Citizen Hotel for one night while attending a business meeting in Sacramento. It is a lovely boutique hotel that is close to the convention center and the State Capitol Building. I had a small but well appointed room. The shower was large and the room was very comfortable for one person. The room was a standard king-size bed room but it would definitely be a bit small for two people. I would suggest requesting a larger room or junior suite if you are a couple or two people traveling together. The hotel was quiet and it was easy to sleep. I had a great breakfast at The Grange restaurant in the hotel. I have eaten there before while in Sacramento and I always enjoy my meal. Overall, this is a great hotel and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Barbie726
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We had a great experience staying at the Citizen Hotel. It's a very charming, old building that has been nicely renovated. All common areas and the room are tastefully decorated with political themes, for example quotes on the elevator walls, protest photos in the hallway, a political cartoon hanging up on the bathroom wall. The room was very clean, equipped with helpful amenities such as robes and coffee/tea maker, the bed and linens were comfortable, and the toiletries were good quality. It is within short walk to many restaurants (the hotel restaurant The Grange is very good), the Crest Theatre which shows independent films, and the capitol building. The only negatives are charges for room internet service (although a short time period in the business center is free) and parking although it's such a convenient location we walked and took cabs to get around.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jana1389
Reviewed 5 May 2011

This was a business trip and the hotel was perfect. The room wasn't huge but everything was there. Loved the scent of the bathroom extras. Very nice staff and service

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank nancy118
Citizenmanagement, General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2011

Dear nancy118,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and tell of your experience at our hotel. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit!

Mark Mathews
Managing Director
The Citizen Hotel

Reviewed 15 April 2011

I had to visit UC Davis for medical tests and we decided to make it a mini-vacation with a nice hotel. Mission accomplished. This hotel is gorgeous, and the decor makes you feel like you're in The Untouchables movie. Conveniently, there is an ATM on-site (but it's downstairs in this kinda creepy basement area).
The valets open the door every single time you get near it; I'm a smoker and had to go outside several times that day/night; it was nice to have them there when I went out for a smoke at 4am.
When we arrived we were upgraded to a King from a Queen without even having to ask, as that was what was available on the higher floor we requested (to be away from traffic noise--12th floor, nice views and quiet). Opening the windows to get air in the room was nice, and there was a thermostat on the wall, which is a godsend because I get too hot/cold very easily. Blackout drapes worked like a charm for an afternoon nap.
We ate at The Grange and the waiter was great and the food excellent. Highly recommend the butterscotch pudding--it sounds odd in a fine-dining situation but they elevate it accordingly and it was fabulous!
Oddly the WATER in the room was wonderful. Every time I washed my hands they felt so CLEAN. I don't know if they have soft water, but that was my guess and it was good enough that I went home and leased a water softener.
As mentioned in other reviews, the rooms are small. It's a hotel, you're probably there to sleep, not to do calisthenics so I'm not understanding what everyone needs all that room for. It's cozy and I appreciate that.
The only not-great parts: Shower, no bathtub in our room, with a shower curtain, which can be a bit peskier than shower doors. Also, there's no counter just a tiny shelf, so doing hair/makeup was a bit challenging, but was made up for by the awesome magnifying lighted mirror provided.
The blowdryer is in a fabric bag hanging with the robes. It was hard to find, so there's your tip--that's where it is. We couldn't find it so we called the desk and they brought one up. I felt silly and ended up with two when we figured out where the darn thing lived.
Alarm Clock: My husband couldn't figure out how to set it (we're starting to sound pretty dumb, maybe you'll have better luck) so he unplugged it. ...it has a battery, so unplugging it didn't work and the alarm went off at 4am.
Room Service Menu: It was more limited than most I've seen and we had to call down to the desk because we couldn't find it in the room--because it's not in the room, it's on the television. Speaking of things on the television, the check-out feature wasn't working. BUT we called down to the desk and they checked us out in about one minute over the phone, so that's okay.
That's all just me nitpicking though, and all the problems we ran into the staff addressed immediately--they were great. Overall great hotel, absolutely fantastic restaurant and we will definitely be back because my husband thinks it would be neat to play a game of chess on the board in their lobby. Now that you know where the blowdryer and room service menu are and about the alarm clock, you should have a perfect stay!

Room Tip: 12th floor was great--nice views and quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Corinakitty
Reviewed 12 April 2011

This hotel is a fun, historic, and generally a nice place to stay. After staying there on vacation last summer with the family and liking it, I went back for a weekend conference at the convention center. It wasn't as good this time
- bathroom smelled strongly of men's aftershave
- in-room amenities weren't fully stocked: there was only one coffee with cafeine, no pad of paper or pen, bathroom supplies sparse (next day much better after i said something)
- Saturday night there was a lot of noise - apparently from a wedding - that went quite late
- staying on 13th floor the elevator was wacky
- breakfast at the Grange was expensive and so-so (go next door to the coffee shop or wak a few blocks to one of the many diners or coffee shops in the area - dinner was again excellent and enjoyable at the Grange. good food, good service at night.

Room Tip: The rooms are small and a bit funky - its historc
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Gringacriolla
Citizenmanagement, General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2011

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am so sorry that some aspects of it were not up to par. I appreciate the feedback and will share it with our team so that we can improve ourselves and our guest experience.