“Very friendly, cute hotel.”

The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #10 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Sacramento
“Very friendly, cute hotel.”
Reviewed 23 May 2012 via mobile

Very friendly, cute hotel. Used the hotel for business travel. Guests rooms and conference space. Definitely, we will use this location again.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Conferenceguru

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I typically stay at the Hyatt when visiting Sacramento but we wanted to try something different. We booked at The Citizen and very happy we did. Our visit was for a special occasion to gather with family. I sent a message to the GM to see if it would be possible to get a high floor with a view and explained this was a special event (15 year anniversary). I received a prompt response from the GM telling me that he had taken care of everything and they were looking forward to our arrival. Nice! :-)

Upon arrival we were greeted by very friendly door staff that made our check in and car valet a breeze. Within a few minutes we were in our room, and what a great room! The GM had booked us into a high floor with a view as requested and the room was very clean and comfortable.

The neighborhood has a Starbucks and it is very easy to walk to the Capital as well, which was nice since we had our little dog with us. The park in front of the hotel does have some homeless issues, but what city doesn't in this current economy?! Sacramento has always seemed to have an odd mix of suits & homeless mingling together in harmony on the sidewalks. We felt safe and had no issues walking around the neighborhood. Additionally the door staff are so pleasant and welcoming, making it that much more pleasant.

We are very happy that we have found The Citizen and will certainly stay with them again next time we have reason to visit to Sacramento. Excellent staff, wonderful comfortable rooms.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Citizenmanagement, General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear Joseph R,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. The team always loves to hear when our guests have a great experience and I appreciate and I look forward to sharing this with them. If you are a coffee fan there are 2 outstanding local coffee houses in teh neighborhood as well. Temple at 9th and J street is a Sacramento institution and Broadacre Coffee next to the hotel on 10th street is getting rave reviews.

Thank you again and we look forward to your return

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I travel to Sacramento most weeks for business and am privileged to stay at the Citizen Hotel. I love the combination of old, beautifully restored architecture and modern comfortable rooms. More important, every single person who works at the Citizen (in a range of roles) consistently goes above and beyond to make my stay comfortable. They greet me like family, smile with real warmth and connection, stash my bike, recommend bike paths, remember and prioritize the room features I prefer, immediately fix their rare glitches and respond patiently and supportively to my more frequent ones. I feel so lucky to be able to stay there and to interact with these fabulous indivduals!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Citizenmanagement, General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 20 May 2012
Dear Ms. Lee

Yhank you for making the Citizen your home away from home. I know your business requires you to visit Sacramento almost weekly and we really appreciate you choosing The Citizen Hotel as your home base. As always we look forward to your next visit!

Reno, Nevada, United States
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Great place to stay. Room was very clean, great view of downtown Sacramento, and staff was great. I would recommend this place to anyone. One of the nice touches in the hotel was all of the political cartoons and sayings around the hotel, very funny. I would say the only thing we found wrong with the hotel was the noise from the streets of downtown, just ask for a room on one of the higher floors.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors, much quieter from all of the noise from downtown.
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

1 Thank hiimkat67
Reno, NV, USA
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I loved the Citizen Hotel. I will not stay anywhere else in Sacramento. The location is perfect. There are lots of places to eat, drink and hang out nearby. I had a view of the Capital out my bathroom window and the place just oozes old school sophistication and charm. It was quiet in the room depite being right in thr center of everything and all of the staff were pleasant and helpful. Also, the bed and bedding was excellent. I definitely recommend the Citizen.

1 Thank RaynaB73
Citizenmanagement, General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear Nevada_Travelers,

Thanks for the great reveiw and for making The Citizen your hotel of choice when visiting Sacramento. We really appreciate your business!

Santa Maria, California
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed one night here in the business district of California's capitol city. The hotel has wonderful service from the moment you step out of your car. Valet parking is only $5 more than parking yourself and you have unlimited check in/out of parking with no add'l fees. The check in desk is located in a very cool looking "library" and I felt like a NYC tourist inside this building checking out all the details of each room and floor and reading the quotes in the elevator. Our guest room was on the 13th floor (not scary) and roomy. Two beds were very nice and comfortable but this is where I gave one less star because I have a thing about fabric headboards in a public hotel, though clean, just not my thing. The bathroom was awesome (especially for two women sharing a room) two sinks on a large marble slab with plenty of room for all our "stuff". A real hair dryer is provided, not one of those in wall ones that sucks your hair in from both sides. The fridge was stocked with auto payment feature (would have liked a space for my left overs or my own personal waterbottle but not that big a deal for one night). Coffee maker and nice soaps, provided robes too. Internet (with keyboard) and movies are available on the tv for a daily charge so we did not use that but if you are travelling with kids you can access your Netflix streaming from there fyi. The restaurant "The Grange" was very good, cool ambiance and the waitstaff was very friendly, helpful and entertaining. The food was perfect and we ended up eating more than we planned and liked it! We were even able to enjoy another glass of wine and take it up to the room with us no fuss.
Getting a cab out front was easy and not far from Old Town Sacramento (touristy) and walking distance to a mall (but not the best one around). The capital building is very close too. Most mom and pop places in this area are closed on the weekends, this area is more happening on the weekdays fyi.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank hikingbee
Citizenmanagement, General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear hikingbee,

Thanks so much for staying with us and completing a review. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay. The 13th floor is typically a great floor for female travelers due to the size and natural light in the bathrooms. On your next visit check out Midtown, only a short walk away. That area is more active on weekends and during the evening.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Boutique hotel in a 1920's building downtown, beautifully redone, clean comfortable room with very tall ceilings made the room feel much bigger. Felt very upscale and friendly, very attentive staff. I liked that it wasn't a chain, great restaurant in hotel. No spa or pool, but I wasn't interested in either.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo