“Rooms are cozy (smaller size) but the staff are large at heart!”

The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
San Jose, California
“Rooms are cozy (smaller size) but the staff are large at heart!”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Have stayed here many times, every staff member I've ever encountered have been friendly and helpful. This particular visit I'd like to acknowledge Lupe and Blaine at the front desk, who made my brief interactions with them pleasant ones.

The rooms can be a bit small but the location of the hotel is excellent, both for state business and nightlife. I received an upgrade to the suite this time around, and while it is a larger room, you definitely can hear some street noise if it's a weekend. But a little white noise helped me sleep so no complaints there.

I've eaten at the restaurant both for brunch and dinner in the past, and have been pleased with the food. It's nice to have 24 hour valet service, and the valet staff always offer directions and assistance. I've stayed at many of the Joie De Vivre Hotels, and Citizen is in my top 3. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Nathan B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
El Segundo, California
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I enjoyed my stay in this turn of the century feel hotel with all the feelings of the early days in Sacramento. A friend of mine told me that each room had an umbrella, and it really came in handy the day I stayed there. It is very close to the major State offices and saves on parking and travel, since everything is within walking distance. The most friendly people are the bell hops, who are quick and professional. We only had to wait 30 seconds for our cab to the airport, since they congregate right at the hotel. If you're doing business at CalEPA, I would certainly stay here, and try the breakfast, which is large and filling!

Room Tip: Try to stay in rooms below the 13th floor, as only one elevator goes that high; besides, some of us...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Steve T
San Francisco
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The Citizen Hotel was just such a pleasant surprise for me. It was a professional conference situation which can often be hum drum and run of the mill with service, food, facilities, room amenities etc. But, this blew my socks off. Not only is it a gorgeous old historical building (and every staff member was always offering a new tidbit about its history whenever we chatted). The entire staff from registration, to housekeeping, to catering, to bell staff were amazing, polite and made me feel like a hundred bucks. I have lived within 60 miles of Sacramento since 1979 and have stayed a couple of places there but this was over the top and I would certainly stay there again. And, the Grange restaurant was wonderful. But there are so many great places within walking distance. Just a great place to stay to enjoy what Sacramento, the state Capitol, has to offer.

Room Tip: I cannot imagine a bad room in the place. I am guessing overlooking the Capitol would be great.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Boomer2047
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

The political theme is everywhere (classic political editorial cartoons, quotations about politics in elevator, do-not-disturb sign is a play on legislative phrase). Love it or find it corny. We liked it. Lobby feels like a library, but is a little hidden back from the front door. Neighborhood feels a little "transitional," but rooms are comfy. Ours was a corner room, rather small, with tiny armoire, but bath was huge. Good staff. Good service. Great attached restaurant! Within a block of great hip street of restaurants & bars and Capitol.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Foodtwosome
Fair Oaks, California
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Although we live in the Sacramento area, I've always wanted to stay in this hotel. We had the chance - to celebrate our 30th anniversary. The room was much larger than I expected for a hotel of this age (built in the 1920s). Great soundproofing - although our room faced the street, we couldn't hear any street noise (maybe being on the 12th floor had something to do with it).

The front desk service was courteous and efficient. Although they'd forgotten to add parking to our room, it was taken care of quickly - I didn't have to run back and forth between the valet and the desk.

And being next door to the Grange (where we had dinner) is an extra bonus.

A number of other locals I've spoken with were envious. They've always wanted an excuse to stay there.

So glad we chose this hotel for our celebration.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan W
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 28 February 2014

my husband and I stayed there recently on our way to Tahoe

Very cool decor. Very comfortable and the restaurant is amazing

The room and bed... took me back to my Ritz Carlton experience. But the service, far exceeded any service I have received at any hotel. Customer service excellence.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sara W
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed at The Citizen last month on business. Okay, not great. Returning next week and decided it was easier to just stay here again, but apparently you can't get ahold of anyone to make a reseration. I tried to make a reservation via the website and it said "The hotel is closed" (as in no longer in business). I then called the hotel directly, the national reservation number, and even the loyalty club phone number, but could never get anyone to take my call. Either they are closed, or they no longer want my business. Either way, four tries to make a reservation is just unreasonable so I'm going elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Seattletravel88
blarkin, General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for your comments. I apologize that you had a difficult time making a reservation. I have checked our site and there seems to be no issue in general to book a room. It may be that you selected a stay date in which we are sold out or closed to arrivals based on the high occupancy in the hotel. Please reach out to me directly at 916-492-4422 or at blarkin@jdvhotels.com so that I may assist you in making your reservation. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Brent Larkin