“Amazing Stay”

The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #7 of 83 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Love this hotel. I have stayed here twice, once for business and once for pleasure. This past weekend was amazing. Joe at the front desk was extremely helpful and the bartenders were spot on. Super location close to great restaurants and very easy to navigate to. Accomodations are typical of a historic hotel. Smaller rooms but with charm.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Very cool feel and great service. There is a good bar/restaurant, Grange, in the hotel. This place is a boutique with some serious style! The only minor downside is that the rooms are on the smallish side. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Having spent many years traveling to Sacramento on business I had always hoped an outstanding hotel would open near the capitol. I had high hopes when the Hyatt first opened (and it was good in the beginning), I had cautious hopes when the Sheraton first opened (they started out better than I imagined but eventually slid into typical Sheraton mediocrity). My wife had stayed here a couple of times for business and based on the reviews I agreed to try it. Well lo and behold I finally found the perfect place to stay in Sacramento. The rooms are eclectic and amazing, the location is superb, the staff are impeccable and charming including Joe at the front desk and the adorable Bell Girl (wish I could remember her name) and the awesome Lori in the Executive Offices who saved me when the computers in the Business Center were down, by letting me use her computer and scanning and printing documents for me. What a superstar! If i had to identify one small flaw, it would be the bath towels, they are like sandpaper, too rough for this old guy! But that's a very small issue at the best hotel in Sacto. Bravo Citizen, it's about time!

Room Tip: Room 500 is pretty darn terrific!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel a couple of weeks ago. The people at the desk were friendly and helpful. The room was small as expected but nice. Some of the trim was missing from the baseboard no biggie room was still nice. Bed was comfortable. They had nice tea and coffee downstairs. I didn't have the coffee but my mom liked it. On the first night I found out they didn't have turndown as I had come back to a dirty glass I left there. I'm used to having turndown but really no big deal. I called down for more conditioner to be delivered to my room if you have long or thick hair you understand one of those tiny hotel containers is just not enough. They were kind when I asked for more and had it delivered very quickly. As the person who brought the item was leaving I asked if they could remove a dirty glass for me. Next morning I realized they just left in the hall. I suppose it wasn't their job and maybe didn't know where to put it. But whoever was supposed to pick those things didn't get it well into late the next afternoon. I also noticed the same with items from other people. Again no big deal really. What I didn't like was that the toilet broke the second night and had to stick my hand into the back of it to flush it every time ugh gross! I let them know and they told me that all the toilets where to have that fixed very soon, might even have been that next week it was to be done. The next night I was going to take a bath but the plunger part of the tub was broken. I took a shower and water came out all over the floor(not because it was broken just didn't get the curtain all the way closed. Had a drink and snack at the bar the fist night. The bartender was horrible. Wasn't the drink he made just his demeanor. It was his last work day of the week for him I believe and I'm glad because I didn't have to see him again. I gave him a 20% tip which I usually do but after I wish I'd hadn't, not that
he cared, what's a few bucks. The next couple nights great bartender. Oh and yes it can be a bit noisy but all the rooms have earplugs I used them and they work. There is a yummy bakery around the block. It was a pretty nice hotel with a couple of hiccups. Would I stay here again probably, but just to see what available I might try a different one next time.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank diorandmore
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I had mentioned in my reservation that it was my husband's 56th birthday. I received an e-mail from one of their staff asking what they could do for us to make it extra special and asked what type of wine my husband liked. When we arrived, the front desk staff immediately said happy birthday, and when we arrived in our room they had a bottle of wine, card and a plate full of delicious sweets. When we went to the Grange Restaurant, they were aware as well! It was amazing how they made us feel special. The room was beautiful with a corner view, and the bed was very comfortable! We absolutely loved our visit and will probably return next year for number 57!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anne P
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Have stayed here many times, every staff member I've ever encountered have been friendly and helpful. This particular visit I'd like to acknowledge Lupe and Blaine at the front desk, who made my brief interactions with them pleasant ones.

The rooms can be a bit small but the location of the hotel is excellent, both for state business and nightlife. I received an upgrade to the suite this time around, and while it is a larger room, you definitely can hear some street noise if it's a weekend. But a little white noise helped me sleep so no complaints there.

I've eaten at the restaurant both for brunch and dinner in the past, and have been pleased with the food. It's nice to have 24 hour valet service, and the valet staff always offer directions and assistance. I've stayed at many of the Joie De Vivre Hotels, and Citizen is in my top 3. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Nathan B
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I enjoyed my stay in this turn of the century feel hotel with all the feelings of the early days in Sacramento. A friend of mine told me that each room had an umbrella, and it really came in handy the day I stayed there. It is very close to the major State offices and saves on parking and travel, since everything is within walking distance. The most friendly people are the bell hops, who are quick and professional. We only had to wait 30 seconds for our cab to the airport, since they congregate right at the hotel. If you're doing business at CalEPA, I would certainly stay here, and try the breakfast, which is large and filling!

Room Tip: Try to stay in rooms below the 13th floor, as only one elevator goes that high; besides, some of us...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business