“Comfortable Rooms, Nice Staff”

The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Oakland, California
“Comfortable Rooms, Nice Staff”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Overall this was nice place to stay, however the very noisy wedding on the outdoor terrace blaring horrible DJ remixes grew very old after the first two or three hours. The only saving grace was that the front staff told me at check in it would be done at 11. At 11 on the nose the music (thankfully) stopped.

The restaurant/bar had very excellent (and very expensive) drinks.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Otterrun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My fiance and I attended a wedding here and we were part of a room block. We were impressed with our stay overall especially for the rate we paid. The front desk was very friendly and the door guys out front always welcoming and very knowledgeable about the area. We also loved the location. Walking distance to many restaurants/bars and all the other touristy stuff in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
california
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Nice hotel with a great staff, very clean, room up to date, staff are wonderful, the only reason I did not give 5 stars is because of the dinning room the grange, the food is average at best but very pricy, I would stay at the hotel again but I would not eat at the grange.

Room Tip: Join their club and you get free internet and a bottle of wine in the room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Recently spent a weekend here, and was generally quite happy with my decision. The hotel itself is located right in the heart of downtown Sacramento, which is great for some on foot exploring of the old town and getting to bars and restaurants. The restaurant within the hotel (Grange) is also a really good bet - the eggs benedict are something special for breakfast/brunch.

The ambience is really enjoyable, with the hotel harking back to the grand old days - from the library (with playable chessboard) themed reception area, to the detailed rooms themselves replete with catch phrases and political cartoons around the them of government (The Citizen...get it now?).

My room was the standard one, and was comfortable and well sized. Again, the decor was impeccable, and there was space to set up a laptop and do some work. I did notice some noise from a nightclub outside at street level (I was 10th floor), but nothing that kept me up - I suppose if you're a VERY light sleeper it might've bothered you.

Overall, a whistle stop visit to Sacramento, so I can't give an opinion in relation to other hotels in the city, but I've stayed in a lot of hotels all over the place and this is one of the good ones. If you're in town and unsure where to book, I'd recommend The Citizen.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed here overnight for a wedding, and I have to say this is a plush and upgraded hotel, as you would expect from a Joie de vivre hotel. The check-in staff were polite and super helpful with my questions. The rooms were small but comfortable. The wedding venue was impressive, lots of windows to make it felt airy and open.

The only negatives were that there was a bar or club across the street from our room, so we heard the music bumping in the night. Also, the valet was expensive and a bit confusing. We came at busy time and I doubled parked because the drop off zone was packed with cars. I stood around looking puzzled for a couple of minutes trying to get the valet's attention, wondering how come no one is helping me. He finally told me that they could only take cars pulled over in the white zone. Thanks for telling me now. I had to drive around until the drop off zone was clear, but by that time I just parked a block away, fed the meter until it was 6pm and had free parking until the next day. Saved some money overall.

I would definitely stay here again, but I would plan my parking strategy better next time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
San Jose, California
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We had a great stay there for my wedding weekend with all of my bridesmaids and family. My now husband stayed there as well with all of his groomsmen. The staff was great, hotel was very clean, and beds were extremely comfortable! Getting ready in a 1 bedroom suite was great for 6 girls and the walls and decorations were awesome for pictures! We loved staying there for our special day!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Fairfield, California
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I've stayed at The Citizen multiple times, which says a lot on its own because I never stay the same place twice. I absolutely love it. It's in a great location. It's a 2 minute walk from K street, which has bars places to eat like Pizza Rock, there are night clubs.... Ect. Also it's within walking distance from the Westfield mall.
I've never had an issue staying here, the staff is friendly and helpful. When they have events you might here some noise (weddings) but it's quiet by 10 and you get no noise from the K street activity.
It's a great place to stay. I stay relaxing as soon as the valet takes my car. The bed is comfy, big pillows, not a lot of noise outside door.
Also very easy to get to from highway.

• Stayed April 2014