“Avoid wedding noise, and you'll be fine”

The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #10 of 80 Hotels in Sacramento
Chico, California
“Avoid wedding noise, and you'll be fine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is an excellent hotel. It is unfortunate that it gets so many bad reviews because of the noise. I asked at the front desk about that, and they were very clear: Some rooms are noisy, because they are directly above the bar area and the reception area for the weddings. They gave me a room far from that, on an upper floor, and is was very quiet.

The hotel is charming. It is the opposite of the corporate, generic hotels that populate the rest of the city. I enjoyed my stay here thoroughly, and the staff was VERY friendly and professional.

I work with musicians who perform regularly at the Crest theater, which is right around the corner in a very easy walking distance from this hotel. Perfect location for attending a show there.

Room Tip: If you are not with one of the wedding groups, ask for a room in the quiet part of the hotel, and th...
1 Thank PeterBerkow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Nacogdoches, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My experience at the Citizen Hotel was a good one. The room service staff were excellent and I enjoyed getting a $5 food/beverage voucher for each night that I didn't have the room cleaned! I put those to good use in the restaurant downstairs. The staff were always smiling and friendly and helped out with requests in any way they could. The convention center was in easy walking distance and the hotel is located in an area that felt safe. I did not experience any of the noise issues that others have reported in the reviews, so that must depend on room location. I paid for the "faster" internet, which was probably a waste of money, so just opt for the slower, cheaper option. Overall, I would stay here again and would recommend it to others. Oh, they do allow dogs which I found adorable but could concern someone with an allergy.

Florida USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Heritage hotel, rennovated and well-maintained; lots of special touches associated with the period it was originally built. Great staff in all departments, knowledgable, friendly, quickly responded to any requests (eg, extra hangers, non-feather pillows, etc). Well-located, just 3 blocks from convention center, bus and taxi rank in same block. The Grange restaurant, on the hotel property, has a gourmet menu, great ambience; it also provides the room service to the Hotel for very reasonable prices. Our room, on the 12th floor, facing the City Hall, was quiet, spacious, just fine (not often do I get a huge bathroom with 3 large wood-frame windows). The only downside to my 6-day stay was the internet and in-room wi-fi. Apparently their provider was doing some updating, and there were "problems" that caused it to go down often and without warning--however, when it came time for me to check-out, the daily charges were removed from my bill, for which I am thankful. All-in-all, a great hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms high and on the back side of the hotel may be quieter from the usual city street noise and nea...
2 Thank savanna47
Oxford, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I'm visiting Sacramento for work and chose to stay at The Citizen Hotel instead of the normal Sheratons and Hyatts as I prefer less of a chain feel with hotels. I cannot fault the service from the staff. Absolutely second to none. The room (I had a corner room on 5th floor) was absolutely adequate in size and I loved the fact that I had views from two angles of the city being in the corner. The bed is amazing! The cushions are to die for.

So everything has been good, but the big problem if you're travelling for business is the absolutely DIRE Internet connection. Not only does this hotel charge $10/24 hours, which mostly nowadays you get for free, the connection is appalling. The speed is slower than my old dial-up 10 years ago and very unstable. If you're paying that much, you don't expect to have the network crash on a regular basis.

If this hotel can get themselves sorted with the Internet connection, it will be a proper 4/5. I'd say it's 3.5/5 at the moment.

Room Tip: Corner rooms like 534, 634 etc. Quiet and a bit more light.
1 Thank ahparker
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

There are a number of things I enjoyed about this hotel, but I will try to be brief. First off was its location. I was able to catch a bus right in front of the airport that left me within feet of the entrance to the hotel. The bus was $2 and took the exact same route any cab would have. Just like that I saved over $35. Next was the assistance with check-in. The staff was extremely friendly and conversational. My room wasn't ready as I had arrived around noon, but I was able to leave my bags securely in a room. When i returned my room was ready and since I had joined the Joy club I was greeted with a bottle of wine on ice. The room was very spacious, beds were super comfy and the cleaning every day was great. I liked the fact that they gave you the option of keeping your sheets so as to conserve water.

I was here for a conference and the food we had catered for us was delicious. Don't tell them, but I also grabbed a few extra bags of Mighty Leaf tea's! All in all the service was spectacular, given the conference I attended we has a special rate that made this a knock-out choice. Should I visit Sacramento again I would highly recommend this hotel.

Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff, good bed, well decorated small rooms. Only downside was slow expensive internet wifi in room. Good restaurant for breakfast each morning. My 5th floor room did not have a noise problem as others have mentioned in their reviews.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

The service was great, the parking required either a long walk or valet which worried me. The entire hotel as well as the room had so much character with such a story to tell behind it. The breakfast at the restaurant was the best omelet I have ever had in my life!!! The room was very clean and classy with crazy tall ceilings, and the bed was very comfortable. I accidentally booked the wrong date for our stay on Expedia which states that there are no refunds, the hotel clerk at the front desk took the time to talk to Expedia about my mistake, had them issue a refund(even though they were not required to) and also book me a new room. The customer service and atmosphere is outstanding, I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple