“Pleasant Surprise”

The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #7 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed 9 September 2009

We found The Citizen Hotel because of a link for a package deal for things to see and do in Sacramento on the California Railroad Museum site. Confirmed reputation on TripAdvisor site.

Great decor and service from the staff (valet, bellman, front desk). We would stay at the Citizen again. Dinner at the Grange was delicious. They claim that all ingredients are local.

Only one complaint. Internet is not free. Considering Motel 6 has free WiFi, why not an upscale property?

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection

Reviewed 7 September 2009

Very happy with our recent stay. Conveniently located 2 blocks from Sate Capital and within a short walk to all other museums. Old Town Sacramento, is located about 10 blocks west, but a very easy walk. We will definitely consider staying at the Citizens Hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank sanchoCalifornia
Reviewed 17 August 2009

As someone interested in state politics and the workings of Sacramento I fall hook line and sinker for this hotel and its concept. The remodeled building is reminiscent of the lobby of the hollywood tower hotel attraction at Disney's California adventure. It makes for a cool experience.

The staff is warm and gracious, the rooms are nicely detailed and the location is great. There are some noise issues when they have a wedding going on on the 7th floor patio but that isn't much of an issue for me. Had a great stay here.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2009

The Citizen Hotel's website is effusive, evocative, and unabashedly narcissistic in proclaiming the hotel's importance and exclusivity. Don't believe it. My partner and I stayed here while attending a wedding in Sacramento. The noise problem in the hotel is unbelievable. The walls are very thin and there was a large, loud party in the next room that continued until 4 a.m. even after we called the front desk, twice. The "guests" next door ignored the security guard's visit after our first call. The front desk downstairs simply ignored our second call. They seemed to think it was just kind of amusing.

At check-out the next morning we were offered a significant discount on the cost of our room, which we gratefully accepted. It was the absolute least they could have done, and to their credit it was proactive and they seemed sincere. But to be honest I would have just preferred a decent night's sleep. Never ever again will I be tricked into staying here by the flashy website full of silly, affected nonsense. This hotel has major issues to work on if they are really in the business of providing people with a place to sleep. They seem to want to be the hippest place in town and the actual "hotel" is an afterthought.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
blarkin, Assistant General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2009

Jaybos,

Thank you for the comments regarding the noise issues you experienced while staying with us in July. I apologize that the neighboring room did not respect the quiet hours of the hotel and also for the fact that we apparently did not react in an appropriate manor. I have reviewed the situation with our security staff as well as our overnight front desk team to make sure that we handle situations like this better in the future. I am happy to see that your bill was adjusted for your inconvenience as it should have been. I hope that the bride and groom had a wonderful wedding experience and that your overall Sacramento visit was enjoyable despite the issue you had. We strive to be a fun, comfortable and upscale boutique option for the city of Sacramento. The staff works hard to provide top notch customer service and I am confident that we come through with every promise and item that we advertise on our website. If your travels ever bring you back to Sacramento, please feel free to reach out to me.

Reviewed 15 July 2009

We spend a Saturday night at The Citizen and enjoyed our stay. The staff was extremely pleasant. We stayed in a room with a queen bed and although it was small, it was fine for us for one night. We were on the 3rd floor and when/if we go back, I'll ask for a room on a higher floor. There was a wedding at the hotel while we were there and a sign posted at the front desk alerting us to the event and possible noise. We didn't find the wedding noise a problem although the street noise was a bit loud. Finding two sets of ear plugs in the bathroom when we checked in was a little bit of a warning, although we didn't use them. It would have been nice to open the windows at night but it was too noisy (not the hotel's problem though). Check in and check out was a breeze. We had drinks at The Grange bar and bar staff were very pleasant. All in all, we enjoyed The Citizen and the price was just right for an overnight getaway. We'll go back.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2009

This was my second trip to the Citizen Hotel. I thought I would give them one more chance. They have valet parking and some how a valet never touched my suitcase-either trip. Each time I had to wait to check in and check out. If they had two people at the desk the second one would leave when I arrived.
The rooms are nice and comfortable and clean....although on my second stay a previous traveler had left food in the refrigerator.
The restaurant setting is lovely. The food and service are just OK. We had an issue when the waiter billed our credit card and then when checked out we noticed it was also charged to our room.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
blarkin, Assistant General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2009

I am following up to your comments in regards to your stay here at the Citizen Hotel. I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know where we fell short of your expectations.

I have followed up with all parties involved, both at the hotel and in Grange in order to retrain the staff on areas in which we can improve our level of service. I am confident that the improvements have taken place so that yourself and other guests do not have similar issues in the future.

We have an incredible hotel and restaurant here at the Citizen. While I am confident that we do a great job a majority of the time, unfortunately we still have moments where we fall short of our guests expectations. As we continue to build or systems and train the staff in the infancy of our business, I can only promise you that we will constantly make the necessary changes needed to improve. Your feedback will help us do just that.

Thank you again for your candid feedback!

Reviewed 23 April 2009

I travel quite a bit, and this is one of the nicest boutique hotels in which I've ever stayed. The decor and theme are outstanding! The location is great, and the staff is wonderful. I do not recommend room service, but there's really no need -- the Grange restaurant is OUTSTANDING. There is no need to stay anywhere except the Citizen when in Sacramento. I am not giving the hotel 5 stars because the rooms are a bit small-- otherwise, this hotel is one of my favorites!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business