“This is a tough review considering we...”

The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #10 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
santa rosa ca
“This is a tough review considering we...”
Reviewed 27 July 2010

This is a tough review considering we purchased thru Priceline for a 4 star hotel, which meant Hyatt, Citizen, or one other well known chain. Unfortunately we gambled and got the Citizen at $85 for one nite.

Location of venue was a duality. Within walking distance of gorgeous capitol building and gardens and young LOUD clubs, in a rather historic district, but total turnoff of urine scented sidewalks around the corners, homeless passed out folks at funky store entrances and lots of real estate in foreclosure except for liquor stores. However the hood is moving toward gentrification with a few hip coffee shops. One warning: there's a lovely inviting park directly across from valet parking. Taking our morning walk in search of two places staff told us to go for java and good breakfast on Sunday, we giddily entered the park to get to our morning destinations across the way only to find ouselves in the land where the likes of us shan't nit be well accepted accept for possible panhandling, pickpocketing, purse snatching or God only knows what. Once we hit the center of the park a nice policeman cruised up and stayed present as we found our way to the quickest exit pathway.

The clincher when we arrived the recommended eateries.....they were both closed on Sunday. Sigh. Expected 4star hotel staff to know these little details. So upshot of good news - walked back to hotel (not thru lovely park) and ate a spectacular breakfast with excellent service all with reasonable costs.

Now onto interior hotel experience: steep $25 mandatory valet parking but considering at least 4 valet staff for such a small hotel, there's a payroll math issue to deal with. Very helpful and polite at all times.

All staff were lovely even if info given was erroneous. Website indicated late nite limited room service as did guest book info in room but at 11:30, ravenous after attending long day concert were told "no room service". Not even vending machines except for your own pricey honor bar. So staff directed us to late night eatery Cosmopolitan--a block away open til midnight. Got there at 11:50 and they were firm about closing it up. Next choice - 7 blocks away - keeping in mind the seedy unknown neighborhood, so practically jogged to get to Ma Jongs, connected to incredibly loud dj club but with decent fresh Asian food. A godsend. Except they share their restrooms with the club so ya had to be carded to use the loo. After laughing at bouncer until I realized he was not laughing back (after all, I'm 53 for godsakes) I gave him my license to proceed to the ladies room only to walk into a small open space filled with 20 somethings dressed to the nines with as little fabric as possible, all wearing 5" heals and making funny snorting sounds while waiting to use a stall. I knew it was not gonna happen in time for MY needs so revsited bouncer, got license, ate quickly prepared food as quickly as possible, boxed up leftovers, and we headed home, enjoying the full moon over the gorgeous Capitol building, finding a sad homeless man who looked like he could use a good meal, tucking it next to him and getting back to hotel around 1:30 am.

Final note on room assignment. I've been told hotels are not advised as to how reservation is booked, ie Priceline, expedia, etc however I had to wonder. We were pleased to get a room, queen bed on 13th floor, but weren't prepared for ummm....the size or decor. Visualize walking into a large walk in closet, perhaps 9x10 with only room for maybe a semi queen and only room for one nightstand. The bathroom was just slightly smaller than the bed area. To top it off this teensy gnome room was wallpapered with with huge thick stripes of brown and beige but not to be outdown by the checkered headboard against the stripes. We literally fell down on the bed laughing our butts off at the insanity and chutzpah of attempting and actually pulling it off! The concept of taking such a small closet, decorating it rather crazily and actually selling it! Room 1310. Avoid at all costs. If it had been more than one night we woulda fled for our sanity but at least we had a comfy (by the way to management: beds are delish comfy but breaking down to begin sleepers rolling into middle without trying - sign to buy new beds). But sheets and bedding was top notch otherwise.

So while we considered it edgy, unexpected, certainly NOT 4 star hotel (I'll take that issue up with priceline), it still was a cozy (and then some) place to lay your weary body at the end of a long hot day.

Would not return there ever, but live and learn. Sometimes Priceline is a fantastic win, but it's sure a gamble, even more so in this economy. Think we will stick dependable Marriott proprties in the future.

Cost wise: room 1310 should mhave run around $50. Priceline gouged us, and I'm sure Citizen would have to have gouged even more. Live and learn.

2 Thank sassyshar
Citizenmanagement, General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 29 July 2010
Thank you for your comments and observations, we will use them to focus our training efforts and as a great opportunity to improve our level of service. There is indeed a revitalization occuring in downtown Sacramento with the blocks around the hotel undergoing a transformation into a urban destination.New businesses are opening as early as this fall. The area is well patrolled, as you experienced, and quite safe. We always urge our guests to book directly with any hotel they stay at as there is a much higher level of communication which occurs and room assignments can be tailored to fit guest needs much more so than when booking over an opaque, third party, site. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our bed package, all the beds are less than a year old and we receive many compliments on the sleep experience they provide.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
New York
Reviewed 21 July 2010

I stayed there for two nights for a meeting at the Convention Center. Very good service and rooms are comfortable, clean and quiet. I heard their restaurant is one of the best in town, but did not have a chance to try. I am very happy with my stay there.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Perfect accomodations in the heart of Sacramento with nicely furnished rooms. The Grange Restaurant attached one of our favorites.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I stayed with a friend from July 7th to July 8th in The Citizen and I have to say: It wass a good stay. Very friendly staff, nicely decorated boutique style rooms. Rooms were rather small (like you would expect in a boutique style hotel), yet very clean and quite. The friend I was with had another friend in Sacramento who happened to know management. So we found a bottle of wine in the room as a personal present which was nice, too. We got a little confused by a welcome card that was adressed to someone else - probably since the friends friend did not know my name byy then. Still, something like this should not happen in an upscale hotel. I have to admit I am a little into such small things and so I kept watching: a) Front Desk beiing questioned on that card for a another person had no idea b) Valet Parking staff (next to entrance) was very engaged in opening doors for people entering the property but failed to notice people coming out of the property completely c) a plate on the building states some CA state health warnings about materials used in the (historical) building (asbestos?) which is not stated anywhere within the hotels own advertising as far as I noticed. So I admit these to be minor issues. They did not really lower the overall good impression of The Citizen. Still, these issues along one last thing keep me from giving maximum points. This last thing is that I was under the impression that the location - as premium it might be has an issue in nighttime: There is not much nightlife going on at all. So options for going out are limited from my point of view. Still I would recommend this hotel as a Sacramento homebase for a couple of days. I would not want to spend a whole vacation there...

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Rancho Santa Fe, California
Reviewed 23 June 2010

I was looking forward to reserving a room at this hotel; I clicked on their website for specials at the Sacramento Citizen Hotel. It advertises "History Package" rate from $179.00 and even though all sizes of rooms display (king, double, suites) absolutely no rooms were for $179.00. I called the 800 reservation number and they were no help and transferred me to the hotel directly. The person at the front desk said she couldn't help either and suggested I call back in the morning to talk to a reservations person. I told her we needed to finalize the plans tonight because the reservation was for the following night. I told her where to look on her own website for the information that was being advertised to the customer and she struggled to find the information. I had to tell her step by step where to find the specials listed for her own hotel. Then when she finally came to the page and saw the information, which she didn't dispute was exactly as I stated--an advertised rate from $179.00 for the "History Package"--she said I agree that's what it said but I can't help you--you can call my manager in the morning. I told her that's OK I wil book a room at the nearby Embassy Suites which doesn't engage in false and deceptive advertising. The closest rate offered was $50.00 more per night than the advertised rate.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Citizenmanagement, General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 25 June 2010
Dear pdbrsf,

I certainly apologize for the confusion regarding our summer Road Trippin promotion. The promotional language indeed states that rates start at $179 and go up from there. In investigating this I agree it is confusing, especially if our rates have gone up, due to increased demand, during the time you are trying to book your stay. This is what happened in your case which meant the lowest rate of $179 was no longer available. We are now changing the pricing on this promotion to a flat $179 based on availibility. I appreciate your feedback as it allowed us to improve ourselves and correct this issue.

Mark Mathews
walnut creek, ca
Reviewed 19 June 2010

The hotel concept is great- small boutique hotel with cool interiors and great downtown location. Not many like these in Sacramento. We spent $200 for a suite and asked to have a quiet room as we had to get up early. The room was far from the elevators and other rooms- However- the room was across the street from a night club. 2AM and still booming base from across the street with drunk people yelling- didn't sleep at all. After several calls to the front desk, they offered a "sleep room" in a quiter location and I could leave my stuff in the other room for the morning. How ridiculous that I had to have a SLEEP ROOM separate form mine. SO in my PJs and barefeet at 2am I walk up the stairs to the quieter room which is right in front of the elevators and staircase! After 2 hours of on/off sleep from the elevator noise, I went back to my own room and at 4am the noise outside was finally gone. Up at 7am to a knock on the door when the overcharged room service was 30 minutes early and terribly cold. Worst oatmeal I have ever had. Out by 8am to my meeting... They did comp the terrible breakfast, but come on- that was the worst sleep I have ever had and no discount on the room!
The worst part is that this is our second time to the hotel. The first time 2 years ago, it was quiet, but the room was dirty and the towels were dirty (much cleanier this time). Swore we would never stay here again, but was a special event for us and wanted ot give it another try.
NEVER AGAIN! I do not know where we will stay, but not here- Good luck!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Citizenmanagement, General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 22 June 2010
I apologize for the poor experience you had. A good night's sleep is a hotel basic and I am very sorry that you suffered through that. We are working with Sacramento's noise enforcement department to address the problems being caused by the nightcluband hope to have resolution soon. It has been a sporadic problem and we will continue to address it until it is resolved.
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 18 June 2010

The Citizen offers up boutique quality rooms with great amenities--fluffy towels, nice fixtures, and good quality bath products. I loved the decor and slept like a rock. The hotel has a great vibe and location. Now the not so great--a soup and salad off the room service menu, three pieces of limp lettuce and a saucer of almost inedible cold soup, ended up at $38. And I got a 0.15 charge for the privilege of putting the room on my credit card.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your room service experience. I apologize that it did not meet the quality we strive for and will address the problems you experienced with the team to prevent then from happening again.