“Beautiful hotel with a great atmosphere in a nice part of town”

The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed 27 October 2010

I was really impressed with every aspect of the Citizen: The decor is reminiscent of the 1920s and beautiful inside; The room was excellent with an incredibly comfortable bed; The staff were very helpful, and seemed to know what I needed before I did. My only slight reservation was that the parking (or rather, the valet location) was a bit difficult to find at night, and I had to lap the block a couple of times before I realized that the stand for the restaurant was also for the hotel, but once I found it the process was completely smooth.

The restaurant attached to the hotel had amazing food that was very well prepared.

A great value for a great room. Definitely worth it if you find yourself in Sacramento.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 October 2010

stayed only 1 nite, there for a wedding and reception. everything was very nice, clean and comfortable. room was small but nice, bed was good, nice TV. wife thought the room needed more lighting. the staff that worked the wedding reception were GREAT. very nice, professional and helpful. food was good, i guess from the restaurant. would stay again if in downtown SAC. valet parking good but $25.00 per day.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The staff was helpful from the time we stepped on to the curb in front of the hotel until the time when we departed and they assisted us in packing our bicycles and bags into the car. My friend and I were riding a 55-mile organized bike ride and were afraid we were not going to make it back in time before check-out but the hotel accommodated us and said they would allow us a late check out of 2pm - luckily we finished our ride by Noon and checked out in time. The hotel is directly across the park, close to the train station and a ride away from our bike starting point at Discovery Park. I will be recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My husband's family is from Sacramento and we have now stayed at the Citizen twice as a stop between San Francisco and Tahoe. We love the history and the quirkiness of the hotel. The restaurant is great. The roods are well decorated with fabulously large bathrooms and great sheet quality.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2010

I don't write reviews, but I look at them when booking places. Alls I have to say is STAY HERE, STAY HERE, STAY HERE. AMazing stay, amazing people, best time of our life....... for our anniversary. Trust me---- stay here!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2010

I booked two nights at the Citizen prior to reading some of the Tripadvisor reviews and and as I drove down J Street I had visions of street crime going on around the hotel and a room so loud from nightclub noise I would be unable to sleep.

What I found was a pleasant surprise.
As we pulled up to the curb we were greeted by a very friendly and pleasant valet who removed the bags from my trunk and took my keys, then a porter was kind enough to load my bags onto a cart and walk me directly to check in.

Yes, Valet Parking cost 25 bucks a night.
However I am yet to stay at a hotel that offers Valet parking for less then 15, and normally the less I pay the longer I have to wait for my car. There were no less then four valets anytime I walked past the main entrance and not once after I called down from my room to ask for my car was it not waiting for me by the time I reached the lobby.

Personally I would sooner pay ten bucks more for good valet service, then have to stand around waiting for my car.

The Check In process was fast and friendly; we arrive prior to the standard check in time but they had no problem getting us a room and having our bags brought up to it right away.

The room itself is "small" per say, but from some of the other reviews I was expecting a closet with a bed in it. The room is slightly smaller then what I would have expected from a Hilton or Marriott however the additional room is normally used for a chair and sitting area by the window I wouldn't have used anyway.

The functional space was wonderful, and the room was certainly large enough for a few days. Another review mentioned a lack of drawers or chest of drawers and that is if anything the only item I can complain about, however I made use of the shelves within the Armour so it wasn't a total loss.

I had to pay 7.95 for the wireless internet, but it was fast and I had no issues connecting or staying connected.

The washroom is small, and had only a shower but the shower was excellent in the sense that the shower head was large and the room within the shower was enough for me to be able to turn without banging my elbows on the walls.

The room was nicely decorated in a classic sort of boutique hotel manner which made it feel very warm and inviting, the climate control was also very good as the unit did not have a vent aimed directly at the bed and did not sound like thunder when it was starting up.

The Bed was wonderful;
Soft with a series of large pillows of varying firmness.

The "night noise" which was a common complaint didn't seem to be all that present and I was on the sixth floor. The second night around 4AM there was some sort of loud argument occurring in the street which lasted a few minutes but aside from that and the off police car I was rarely able to hear much in my room. I was there during the week however so I cannot speak for the weekends.

The neighborhood itself seemed to be on the tail end of a redevelopment, I was able to walk about eight blocks either way along J and not feel uneasy about the area I was in, the park across the hotel also had a Rib-Fest going on which was a nice surprise upon returning from business one afternoon.

The gym facilities at the hotel were also wonderful; I got up there once and found all the machines to be in good working order, clean, and plentiful.

Considering my other options in downtown Sacramento, and other hotels in the area I have stayed at before I found the Citizen to be head and shoulders above the competition, and will return on my next trip into town.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Citizenmanagement, General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2010

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and experienced the character and ambience that the Citizen embodies. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 8 August 2010

We stayed at the Citizen Hotel to attend a wedding at the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament. *Excellent* location in regards to the Cathedral; it's only a couple of blocks away (3-5 min walk).

As far as first impressions go, the Citizen delivers a classy and presentable one. The lobby and reception area is nicely decorated, reminiscent of the "old but renovated" style of some of the hotels in downtown San Francisco.

We were given a Deluxe King room on the 11th floor, overlooking the Plaza Park. Yes it is by no means large, but cozy enough for the two of us. About the size of a decent master bedroom. Amenities are adequate and I love the Mac Mini. TIP: You have to pay to use the Internet access on the Mac or Wifi for your laptop, *but* you can watch YouTube videos on the Mac for free. The shower curtain does need weights, so watch where the shower head is pointing when you turn on the water, or you'll end up creating a neat little water feature behind it. :)

The Grange restaurant is great for breakfast, and yes try the Monte Cristo for something hearty and tasty. Separate review for the restaurant to follow.

Valet parking is $25/night and quite convenient and has in/out privileges. We didn't check how much the city garages were to park overnight. One thing though, if you're out late (say past 11pm), the curb in front of the hotel can only fit about 3-4 cars. If there is only one valet working at the time, you may end up double parking to get service (or he may tell you to drive around the block once or twice).

All in all a classy experience and well worth it if you're attending a wedding or event in downtown Sacramento.

P.S. Why is the Starbucks nearby closed on Sundays?!?

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Citizenmanagement, General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2010

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. It was great to see you enjoyed your stay especially JoieConnect, our new media system powered by an Apple Mac Mini. Next time you visit, please try Temple Coffee, located beside the hotel on 10th street. It's been voted best coffee house in Sacramento for several years now!

Mark J. Mathews