“Chic and Sassy Ultra Modern”
Review of The Greens Hotel

The Greens Hotel
Ranked #3 of 14 Sacramento B&B and Inns
Woodland Hills, CA
“Chic and Sassy Ultra Modern”
Reviewed 18 April 2011

I travel to Sac on business quite often, but was tired of the usual picks. Oooh...a new chic modern hotel? I'll give it a whirl! Check in was a breeze! The room itself was quite cute. Modern furniture gave it a cool look which was nice to show off. Modern furniture sometimes can have that "cold" look, but the Greens' seemed to be the aberration. The bed was super comfy. The bathroom was spotless. Only a couple of cons: this part of town in Sac is a bit sketchy (not horribly crime ridden, but I wouldn't feel too safe walking around at night). Also just wished they had offered a little breakfast foods.

Overall, a great deal for a clean, eco-friendly, easy on the eyes hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank karmanitrate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 4 April 2011

The Greens is, as discussed in other reviews here, a great deal. The very clean, eco-friendly, comfortable rooms were an inexpensive and funky crash pad for us during 5 nights of business in Sacto. Our room was spacious and somewhat spartan but we had everything we needed, including free wifi and an ironing board. Other guests ranged from tattooed hipsters to contractors. The biggest drawback was the inconvenient, actually nonexistent hours that the place was staffed during our stay. They are apparently trying to save $ by only having the office open from 9 am-9 pm. We weren't able to call for directions from the airport, or to use the pool and reading room (it is inside a locked lobby), and getting a receipt before our 5 am flight was a huge hassle. Once you track them down the staff are quite friendly and helpful, though. This is in a gentrifying neighborhood - think south Congress in Austin circa 1990, with pawnshops and homeless pushing shopping carts past indie art studio spaces. There's a fabulous panaderia down the street, but no decent coffee for miles.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank RachelR
thegreenshotel, Manager at The Greens Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2011
Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review / feedback after your recent stay at The greens hotel. We do apologize for any of the inconveniences caused. Particularly the fact that we have such limited hours at the office. We will take corrective measures and make sure the office is open longer hours and that the staff are more accessible. Its just that we are a financially struggling hotel and hence we are very frugal with our work hours. But I admit that we need to look out for our guests' comfort and needs too.
Hope to see you the next time you are in Sacramento.

Yvonne, Javier & Rick.
California
Reviewed 14 January 2011

artsy room, immaculate, extremely comfy bed. we stayed in room U. if it is typical of the $70 "superior" rooms, wow! the manager really cares about the guests, the rooms and the grounds. security is excellent so you don't have to worry about the "transitional" neighborhood. although they don't have a 24 hour desk, the night manager is always on call and was waiting for us at 11pm. we bad an unexpectedly perfect motel experience and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2010
Los Angeles
Reviewed 3 January 2011

My husband and I stayed here for New Year's Eve. We paid $70 for the "superior" room. Regular rooms go for $50.

Now, for htis money, you'd expect a pretty skeevy place. However, this place is awesome. Not fancy, but scruplously clean, and with amenities and finishings that you might not find in a room for twise the price.

The bathroom is marble with high end finishings. The shower was very low-flow, but I suppose that's what you get from an eco-conscious hotel in a water-starved region.

The bed was fluffy and deluxe, with very high quality linens. Really MUCH nicer than you'd expect for the money. In fact, we stayed in some expensive places in Napa valley earlier on this road trip, and the bed was comparable to the bed in any of them.

So: not fancy, but kind of hip and incredibly comfortable. I'd stay here again any time.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JoanneTravels66
Greenville, SC
Reviewed 15 October 2010

This is a smartly renovated hotel in a transitional part of Sacramento. The feeling is like a contemporary Inn and the staff is very helpful. I was here for a conference downtown and the commute was simple each day. I would definitely recommend this hotel for those who like interesting places to stay that are far from routine.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank SCTraveler864
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 14 October 2010

This hotel creates its own category: "budget cool." We had never been to Sacramento before and chose this hotel based primarily on TripAdvisor reviews. We were not disappointed. Our room -- which we got for the unbelievably low price of $70/nt -- was spacious and nicely appointed. The bathroom was great and the bed was very comfortable with nice sheets. As noted in other reviews, the area in which the hotel is located is transitional; while there is some development and the area doesn't feel dangerous, there aren't a lot of places you can reach on foot. (It was a short trip to Old Sac and midtown, though.) Because there wasn't a lot nearby, it would have been nice to have coffee available in the room or in the office.
This hotel is definitely a good bargain.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 October 2010

The Greens Hotel and staff made my first, solo and shotgun visit to Sacramento the best vacation decision that I could have ever made.

At first, even the big-city Chi-town gal (me) was a bit overwhelmed walking out of the airport to 90°+ weather, hopping in a cab and driving across the sprawling dried summer grasslands of Sacramento. But, it all changed upon my arrival to the Greens.

You walk up to the place and it's such a warm, modern and fresh take on an a classic motel layout. The patio is blanketed with Cali flora (think cacti, hearty shrubbery), trendy outdoor furniture and mostly shaded, thanks to the thoughtfully arranged aerial sheets of tarp pulled tightly and securely.

I fell in love with my room. Vibrant, avocado green walls make up room "V" (which I stayed in). Layers of light and heavy black curtains over the window give you the option of shaded/partial light to complete darkness (which I neeeed to sleep at night). The contrasting red furniture was such a stylish touch, the black-and-white patterned floral carpet was clean and cute and the crisp, white sheets pulled everything together.

The staff was amazing. Rick and Yvonne were unbelievably accommodating. I could not have dreamed up a more pleasant, hospitable pair. They were the comfort that I needed while I was away from everything that I knew (behind the scenes: I booked the trip to Sacramento because the band I wanted to see wasn't coming to Chicago this summer. I didn't want to visit some close small town so I visited the far-away small city instead). They genuinely wanted to make sure my trip was enjoyable and they succeeded.

Would I stay at the Greens again? Definitely! It was so refreshing to find a successful non-chain, environmentally conscious hotel to add to my much needed vacation. Thanks, Greens :)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo