“Romantic older hotel downtown”

The Sterling Hotel Sacramento
Ranked #39 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Reno, Nevada
“Romantic older hotel downtown”
Reviewed 17 October 2011

My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary. The hotel has quite a unique history dating back many years. We stayed in the Huntington Suite and while it was ok for a one night get away, it had many issues that would have grown tiresome quickly. The TV's cable box had serious issues making it near impossible to switch channels. The shelf stereo's audio didn't work despite powering it on and checking wires. The bathtub drain plug didnt work well, it constantly leaked. The bed itself was just ok, not great not bad. Breakfast the next morning was basic, nothing hot. Aside from all these issues, the hotel has a nice romantic feel to it. It's location is convenient to the downtown attractions. We probably wouldn't stay here again, but also wouldn't discourage future guests.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Jetsgopro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Woodland, California
Reviewed 10 October 2011

My husband and I stayed here recently for our anniversary. The first issue was that they lost our reservation. Luckily I had a printed reservation on hand, but unluckily the Master Suite we had reserved had been given to somebody else. The person working the front desk was barely apologetic, tried to assure us that the Jr Suite was "the same just slightly smaller and much less expensive" and he begrudgingly gave us 10% off. The room had dirty carpet, the bed was not comfortable, the sheets and blankets were scratchy, the A/C caused the walls to vibrate which made the furniture touching them rattle, the antique furniture would have been nice but was all scuffed up and there was an unpleasant odor to the whole place. The only saving grace was the bathroom was very nice (jacuzzi tub and marble). When we checked out, the man working the desk was much nicer than the first and he told us to tell mention our experience if we booked again and they would probably give us a deal. The master suite would have been $224 after tax, we paid $213 for the Jr suite... definitely will not "book again".

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda C
Arnold, California
Reviewed 19 September 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Sterling Hotel in early July. We stayed in the best suite which was very large, nicely appointed and the marble bath was luxurious! (I did think it was unusual to have plastic cups, and the towels and sheets were rather threadbare and frayed. This did not take away from our experience however.)

The worst part of our experience was the bed. We paid the full fare for the room (nearly $200 per night!) and really did not get the good night sleep we felt we deserved. When we suggested that at least a topper should be put on the bed, the comment was made " then new sheets would have to be purchased". With what we paid for the weekend, the hotel could have easily afforded both!

The staff was excellent and this is a beautiful hotel. We will stay again but will request a room with a good bed above all other amenities!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for one with a good bed. Some of the rooms do , but others do not. Our bed sagge...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank twangy_91262
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 18 September 2011

The stay was quite pleasant, with a nicely appointed and classically furnished room. I liked its reserved charm in its appointments. With Victorian furniture and marble bathroom, the room had a certain level of elegance. The hotel was sufficiently away from the freeway and train station that I did not hear any noises during the night to disturb my sleep. The only quirk was the two separate shower heads and multiple faucet handles that were not intuitive in their functions/controls. Also, being in the heart of downtown Sacramento and as it traces its origin as a private mansion of the past, it does not have its own parking area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Mountain View, Ca
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I tried to cancel a reservation here early in the morning (10 am), but they still charged me a whole night's stay. A penalty I could understand, but not a full night's stay. Don't make a reservation here unless you are prepared to give them a full 48 a hours notice if you have to cancel otherwise they will keep every dime of your money!

Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
sterlinghotelsac, Front Office Manager at The Sterling Hotel Sacramento, responded to this review, 28 September 2011
It is standard practice for hotels to charge one full night's stay when a reservation is cancelled within a certain time period. Due to the small size of our facility we require cancellations to be made 48 hours in advance so we have the opportunity to sell that room.

This cancellation policy is clearly outlined on our website, over the phone, and also in all confirmation e-mails that are sent out.

This particular reservation was booked online where there is an additional box that must be checked stating that the cancellation policy has been read and understood before the reservation can be finalized. The cancellation policy is then reiterated in a confirmation e-mail.
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Not only did I stay in this hotel for two nights, my wife and I also held our wedding reception here.

Review of hotel and room:
The hotel itself is very nice. It is a classic Sacramento Victorian mansion and retains many of it's original traits. While it feels old (in a charming, elegant way), it is very clean and fairly quiet. The location is great - within walking distance of most of what downtown Sacramento has to offer. The free wireless internet was easy to connect to and worked great. The hotel staff was nice and extremely helpful (which was very much appreciated, especially since I had loads of beer/wine/decorations to move in and around the hotel/ballroom for my wedding on Saturday). I stayed in the Huntington suite Fri and Sat nights. This is the master suite and I must say it is huge! The bathroom is almost the same size as the bedroom, and includes a jacuzzi tub, dual sinks, a huge shower with two shower heads, and a separate room for the toilet. The bed was large and comfortable, and the mini fridge and sink in the bedroom were a nice bonus. Everything about the room was great, and it was spotless. The continental breakfast was basic but adequate. The room price (although discounted because we blocked most of the rooms for the wedding) seemed fair when compared to other downtown hotels.

Review of wedding reception venue:
Overall, the wedding reception experience was good, not great. We booked the Sterling for our wedding reception a year in advance. Within that year, we must have spoken to 3 or 4 Sterling hotel wedding planners, as they continually changed (quit, fired? I do not know). We were originally promised the use of their outdoor patio for our appetizer hour, but then a restaurant moved into the property, and we were told that this was no longer an option. Luckily we were able to use the walk-in cooler of the restaurant to store our wine/beer/champagne the day of the wedding, which was very nice. The ballroom itself is very nice and in great condition. I loved the built in bar which we definitely utilized. The room layout, including dancefloor, DJ booth, cake table, sweetheart table, guest sign-in and gift tables, and buffet tables, along with 12 guest tables worked out perfectly and did not feel too cramped. We had 90 or so guests for reference. The Sterling also had an employee, Steven, help us with anything we needed, from moving tables to dragging beverages between the walk-in and the ballroom. He was awesome! After getting tossed around and originally feeling like the day would be a disaster, the Sterling (with the help of our caterer, florist and DJ) really made the event come together. I really appreciate everything they did to make our wedding reception unforgettable!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Meis1212
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The staff were wonderful and really made us feel at home in the hotel. I booked it for a work trip and brought my husband along for our anniversary, so it was both business and personal. My favorite part was the wine and cheese hour held on Tuesdays. They served wine and the guests and staff sat around and visited, helping us to grow our list of places to eat and see.

The hotel is old but serviceable. The bed was better than some Holiday Inn beds I have slept on, and we did not have any noise issues, even though there was a graduation party staying in the suite above us.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business