“Fun bar”

Rochester, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun bar”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Was there Saturday night, saw the mermaid and the merman, fast service. A little crowded, but not too bad.

• Visited April 2013

Dublin, California
“If you're here for the mermaids, you're better off at Disneyland.”
Reviewed 8 July 2012 via mobile

I drove from the Bay Area to see the merfolk, called ahead, and was told 8 would be a possibility on a Saturday night. I arrived early, paid an ungodly sum to park at the Hyatt, and ordered what I thought was the $5 house white special. (It was neither $5, nor special.) 8 rolled by, then 8:30, then 9, and at 9:15, my date and I had to leave (we're not 20something).
This establishment absolutely knows when the mermaids are scheduled. If this were Vegas, you'd show up on time for the Treasure Island pirate show and be rewarded, right? I've been wanting to do this for over a year and I'm disappointed. It's a lovely place, the drinks and service are fine, but if you're coming from out of town to see the mermaids, you won't get an honest answer about their show times. Of course there's a schedule somewhere, but this place somehow thinks they're adding to the mystique by keeping it under wraps. The valley tries so bravely to be edgy, but 20 years after I've moved away, it's still missing the mark. I really hope this place makes it and capitalizes on the kind of revenue potential and audience it could draw from insightful marketing. Meanwhile, I'll be saving my allowance to visit Ariel at Disneyland next summer.

2 Thank ARH_Miller
San Diego, CA
“Elusive mermaids & mermen”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We've gone three times, all on weeknights, and never saw mermaids but we did spend some time looking at the giant aquarium over the bar. During Happy Hour, most of the chairs are occupied but it's not crowded by any means. When you buy a drink, you are given a plate for the appetizers, which are all pretty standard, but tasty. There are bags of Fritos and a vat of chili to put on them. When the appetizers are gone, they're gone, so grab an extra taquito for later. There are drink specials that are about the same as anywhere else. There is no waiter service during Happy Hour, and each time we went there was a lone bartender trying to serve everyone. Good music- lots of (loud) classic rock that's not standard. We heard In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida for the first time in a long time! After happy hour, the place is pretty dead. We never did see mermaids, and the doorman told us that it costs them too much to have the mermaids if there aren't a lot of customers, so the best chances to see them are later in the week and on weekends after 9:00. WTH?

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Lakeside31
Jacksonville, Florida
“Fun St Pats Day”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Good value. We ate had a few beeers and a generally good time. The bartender was great and the bar menu just what we were looking for. Inexpensive good for a heavy snack. Almost a meal. Also got a free Guiness as the Guiness reps passed through and the whole house got a deal!!!

• Visited March 2012
st louis missouri
“Cool place to see.”
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I didn't eat here. We walked over to see the mermaid and the tank, had a cocktail and left. Techno music playing, different kinda vibe going on, not my kind of comfy place.

Visited November 2011