“Good Dueling Pianos”

Cuisines: American
Description: Neighborhood bar, (916) 737-5770
Description: Neighborhood bar, (916) 737-5770
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We went on a Thursday night around 9pm and there was a mermaid swimming around for a couple of hours. The aquarium added a unique atmosphere. We had beer, so I can't comment on the quality of the well drinks, but the dueling pianos started around 10pm and continued for a couple of hours. They were pretty good and our group had a lot of fun singing along. I would definitely go back.

There are newer reviews for Dive Bar

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Waste of time. We went during happy hour, and it wasn't very happy. In fact it was empty. Literally just us! No mermaids, which is why we had gone. The bartender was very surly and rude when we inquired about them. Well excuse me - you choose mermaids for your shtick to draw in customers and then get bent out of shape when people ask about them.

1  Thank misticme
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

Go to see the aquarium. Drinks are average. Bar tender forgot my drink when he got distracted by the 21 year old girls. Very "hip".

A novelty.

2  Thank NorCalNic
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Was there Saturday night, saw the mermaid and the merman, fast service. A little crowded, but not too bad.

Reviewed 8 July 2012 via mobile

I drove from the Bay Area to see the merfolk, called ahead, and was told 8 would be a possibility on a Saturday night. I arrived early, paid an ungodly sum to park at the Hyatt, and ordered what I thought was the $5 house white special. (It was neither $5, nor special.) 8 rolled by, then 8:30, then 9, and at 9:15, my date and I had to leave (we're not 20something).
This establishment absolutely knows when the mermaids are scheduled. If this were Vegas, you'd show up on time for the Treasure Island pirate show and be rewarded, right? I've been wanting to do this for over a year and I'm disappointed. It's a lovely place, the drinks and service are fine, but if you're coming from out of town to see the mermaids, you won't get an honest answer about their show times. Of course there's a schedule somewhere, but this place somehow thinks they're adding to the mystique by keeping it under wraps. The valley tries so bravely to be edgy, but 20 years after I've moved away, it's still missing the mark. I really hope this place makes it and capitalizes on the kind of revenue potential and audience it could draw from insightful marketing. Meanwhile, I'll be saving my allowance to visit Ariel at Disneyland next summer.

2  Thank ARH_Miller