“Interesting building and tour”

California State Capitol and Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
US$39.00*
and up
Sacramento Scavenger Hunt Adventure
Ranked #3 of 170 things to do in Sacramento
More attraction details
Owner description: This 19th-century granite building, modeled after the U.S. Capitol, is home to the California Legislature and houses a public museum.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a great place to visit. The building itself is very interesting and beautiful. The history is also interesting. The tour takes you through several areas and you learn a lot, not only about the building, but the history of the area, of California and its political past and present. Definitely worth a visit. The park grounds around the capitol building are also nice.

There are newer reviews for California State Capitol and Museum

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I was attending a conference in SAC, staying in the Hyatt, and had some free time therefore I decided to stroll the Capitol grounds and take a self-guided tour of the Capitol building. For a History geek like me and being from out-of-state, this was a great way to spend 75-90 minutes! I ended-up catching the last tour of the day. It was very informative and I felt like I learned a lot about Cali in a short amount of time. Best part it's all free! Be sure to walk the beautiful park surrounding the building!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The State Capitol was disappointing for me personally, after having seen other State Capitols set on large grounds, landscaped with beautiful gardens. This State Capitol was set among drought starved greenery (maybe a bad time to visit or even a bad year) and the building itself had the requisite dome, pillars and endless offices stretching out on either side. I did not go inside but managed to get a few architecture pictures from the outside. This visit is recommended for those who are collecting visits to various State Capitols as part of a hobby but there is nothing compelling I found from the outside.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

The capitol building is very impressive. 1/2 historical museum, 1/2 modern government at work. Many of the historical office rooms have been left as they were originally. Very nice capitol grounds. The capitol mall is pretty walk to Old Sacramento and then on to the Raley Baseball Park.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Although born and raised in central California, I had never been to the state Capitol. On a recent 6 state road trip, my husband and I decide to stop and see it. The building was beautiful, both inside and out. We didn't take a guided tour - instead opting to wander through the halls on our own. We were pleasantly surprised at how open to the public it was. There were only a few areas that were "off limits," and there was plenty of posted information for us to read. I'm sure a guided tour would have provided more detailed and personal history, but I don't think it was necessary. As we explored the building, friendly staff and security were happy to answer our questions and direct us toward points of interest.

On a side note, we were very pleased to see the government doing it's part to conserve water. Although the surrounding gardens are still very pretty, many areas are not being irrigated and the fountains are dry.