“Both exalting and frustrating.”

Courtyard Sacramento Midtown
Ranked #22 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Our room was spacious, clean, quiet and comfortable with king-sized bed and faultless control of room temperature. Appointments were high quality. Bathroom and shower exceeded expectations. Front desk staff was welcoming and helpful. Parking in the hotel lot cost $8 daily. The hospital complex was not our destination, but the hotel could not be more convenient for anyone visiting the hospitals. Because of remodeling, guests were warned that water in rooms could be interrupted -- and it was. At 10:30 a.m. on a Saturday. Very poor timing. Most disappointing was the lobby walk-up counter 'restaurant,' called the Bistro. The food was overpriced and unappetizing; service was inconsistent. No alternative restaurants were within walking distance.

Room Tip: Our room was near the elevator, but noise was no problem.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lamblf
Aaron S, General Manager at Courtyard Sacramento Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I appreciate the compliments regarding our guestroom and our Front Desk staff. I apologize for the inconvenience of the water interruption - our renovation is expected to be finished later in May 2014 and we certainly do not expect more challenges with the water once it is completed. I am also sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our Bistro - we expect all of our food and service to be excellent at all times. I have shared your comments with our management team for review and future action. Thank you for staying with us and I hope that you will visit us again the next time you are in Sacramento.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

This hotel is desperately in need of updating...and I understand they are in the process of doing that. It can't come too soon to this hotel. I have stayed in a good number of CY hotels and the room we stayed in was at best early nursing home. Mysterious dark stains on the carpet, while the room was clean, it still smelled. Good location but the Marriott updating machine can't arrive at this hotel too soon. Until it is updated, I would pass.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Aaron S, General Manager at Courtyard Sacramento Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Thank you for staying with us at the Courtyard by Marriott Sacramento Midtown. As you mentioned in your review, we are currently undergoing a full renovation of all of our guestrooms. Our first set of newly remodeled rooms was just completed and we are really excited about them. Our renovation work continues - we hope to be completely finished in late April or early May 2014. I hope that you will come back and visit us again and experience the new rooms for yourself! I am confident that the new rooms will meet or exceed your expectations.

Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your feedback.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I have stayed here many times due to its closeness to the hospital and not having to pay for parking. So I was very surprised when they now charge for parking and had raised the price for those of us having family members in the hospital. The bed was not very comfortable and room outdated and smelly for the price you are paying for this hotel. Makes me sad, I use to be very comfortable in this hotel and this time was very disappointed. The staff as always extremely courteous and helpful, always a good experience. I am staying again for a week this next week and I am going to find another hotel to stay at that is not as expensive and will serve breakfast. I never minded paying the extra because of the convenience to hospital, now cannot justify it since you now are paying for parking at the hotel and raising their prices.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kim K
Aaron S, General Manager at Courtyard Sacramento Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our property. Regarding the comments that you shared about our guestrooms, I wanted to share that our property is currently undergoing a full renovation of all guestrooms and hallways. We expect the first of our new rooms to be available in just a few days and for the full renovation to be completed in late April or early May. I am confident that you will be pleased with the newly designed rooms once they become available. If you have a chance to contact me directly, I would be very pleased to discuss your other comments (I can be reached at 916-455-6800). Thank you again for taking the time to write a review - I hope that you will give us another try and experience our new rooms.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

As always, Marriott staff are the best at what they do! One night, I had a little personal emergency, and headed down to the front desk for some help. At 9pm, the lady who had been there all day, was helpful and professional, and solved my problem promptly, handing me the items that I needed.
Though I was happy with the customer service I received, I found the room very average and a little dated, though clean and large. The lobby was much more modern and had obviously been renovated recently.
One of the biggest problems was the location. When my co-workers and I arrived at the hotel in the middle of a Sunday afternoon, we found the main restaurant closed for renovation, and no where else on site to eat lunch. There was a small snack bar in the lobby (we found out later they served breakfast) but it was closed too. My co-workers and I were so surprised. Then we found that there were no restaurants within walking distance. The front desk staff offered to call a cab for us, and it took the cab about 20 minutes to arrive, and then another 10 minutes to the closest restaurant. If you are sick or visiting a sick relative, this is the place for you as there are a bunch of hospitals right near the hotel. If you are in town for a convention downtown at the convention center, get ready for a long wait for cabs, a 10 minute/$15+ cab ride each way, and nothing to do in the surrounding area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank teachertraveller17
Aaron S, General Manager at Courtyard Sacramento Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you for your review of the Courtyard Sacramento Midtown. First of all, thank you very much for the kind words about our staff - we're very fortunate to have a great team. Regarding the guestroom looking a bit dated, I am very excited to tell you that our property is currently under renovation - all of our guestrooms are being fully redone with new carpets, furniture, etc. - I am confident you will be pleased with the changes on your next visit. Lastly, I would like to apologize regarding the restaurant availability and the wait for the taxi - typically taxis arrive at our Hotel within about ten minutes of being called. Our Bistro serves breakfast, lunch and dinner Monday through Saturday and breakfast and dinner on Sunday. I will share your comments with our team for review. Thank you again for your comments - we hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the future and show you our new guestrooms!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I choose this hotel for it's location, being close to UC Davis Medical Center, and stayed two nights.

Parking was OK I guess although it would have been nice to have some spots reserved for check in, there are reserved spots for restaurant take out. As soon as the lobby door opened I was hit with the smell of stale moist air. Lobby looked clean and modern, but a bit odd having a large open space that included dining tables and a bar. Check in was easy and the desk agent was pleasant.

I got to my room and wow it smelled funky, I was way too tired to try and get another room, luckily after a few minutes my nose was fried enough to not notice anymore (of course I had to repeat the acclimatization every time I left and came back.) The room was clean, decor looked old and worn out. There is a board in the lobby showing details and materials that will be used in a refurbishment this year. The beds were saggy, rutted out and just worn out. The bathroom and closet doors looked oddly out of place. I know it's common in hotels, but to they really have to position giant mirrors so that I can watch myself sitting in bed watching TV? I mean on the ceiling maybe (just kidding.)

The first night was fairly quiet, and I was exhausted so I didn't notice much noise. Day two was totally different. At about 2am hotel staff delivered my receipt under the door, in an attempt to make sure it made it under the door the tossed it through with enough force that it flew up and made enough noise to startle me awake. Then the room next door was either hanging pictures or some other activity that cause an hour or so of banging on the wall, followed by doors opening and closing and people running down the hall. As a result I got to sleep somewhere near 4 and was awoken at 7 by people getting ready for their day, I could actually hear a conversation in an adjacent room.

There isn't really anything in the neighborhood other than the hospitals, a drug store and a fast food place about a half mile away, so plan ahead or use the facilities at the hotel.

Overall it was average, not the worst place I've stayed. The proximity to the hospitals (UC Davis, and Shriners) can't be beat. The hotel could benefit from some adjustments or changes to their air handling system, or just cracking the windows for a few hours.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
KFinerman, General Manager at Courtyard Sacramento Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Thank you for your review of the Courtyard by Marriott Sacramento Midtown. I appreciate that you took the time to review our property and share your feedback. Our team works hard to have a clean and enjoyable Hotel for all of our guests and I apologize that you were disappointed with your stay - I will share your comments with our management team for future action. Our property will be undergoing a full renovation of all of our guestrooms and hallways starting February 2014, and I am confident that our new guestrooms will meet or exceed your expectations. We hope to welcome you back to the Courtyard Sacramento Midtown and look forward to your feedback on the new rooms!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

This Courtyard was one of the better ones I've stayed in. I'm very grateful to Zachary for his excellent service and dinner suggestions. Lobby was beautiful, room clean, and quiet. Situated in the UCDavis area, just 10 minutes from downtown and great restaurants. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here over Thanksgiving as it was the closest Marriott to US 50 and my wife's family. While we didn't have need of the hospital if you do, this is a perfect place to stay. Getting to the hotel is a bit tricky as you end up going practically in a circle; we ended up coming in the back way. Once we figured it out we ended up turning a block sooner and it was much easier.
The food in the "bistro" was forgettable; we ate breakfast there every morning (no restaurants conveninely located) and it wasn't even free. (Despite the fact it said crisp bacon on the menu, you have to emphasize what crisp bacon actually is to get it crisp, otherwise it's pretty limp.)
As is usually the case with Marriott's, the bed was very comfortable. We had a nice room with a window that opened, always a plus. The lobby was very pleasing and I liked the individual desks for checkin; it felt more personal.
Lastly, I wish they had recycling; I hate throwing my papers away. Supposedly there was aplace near the lobby but I never found it, but somehting in the room would be nice. (Even something easy to find in the lobby would be good.)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family