“Worst Courtyard Ever”

Courtyard Sacramento Midtown
Ranked #21 of 83 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed 9 June 2010

As a Marriott Gold member, I stay at a lot of Courtyard hotels, and this is by far the worst Courtyard I have stayed it. While the public areas are decent, the actual rooms are ratty, worn out and in need of renovation, with paper thin walls so you can hear all the neighbors. The furnature is nicked up, worn and outdated. The coffee pot is 10 yrs old, and forget about a flat screen TV - this one is a 10 years old big tube. The king room does not have a sofa like most Courtyards (replaced by a small wood chair and mismatched ottoman). There is no dresser in the bedroom (it is in the alcove outside of the bathroom). The bathroom has an outdated toilet that would not flush properly, and shower had mold in the caulking. Internet was slow and underpowered (signal strength in middle of second floor was low). There are no restaurants nearby except the one in the hotel. I cannot think of any pluses for this place, except free parking and its proximity to UC Davis Med Center and Shriner's Hospital. However, colleagues of mine stayed at the brand new Best Western across the street on Stockton Blvd, and were much happier. If you want to stay at a Marriott property, the Courtyard near Cal Expo is a much better choice. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank drichrx

Reviewed 21 April 2010

I checked in to this hotel ar 1:30am after getting my son situated at the UCD Med Center after a motorcycle racing accident. I was very tired and promptly went to sleep. Family members staying in another nearby hotel came to pick me up at 5:30am to get to the hospital before my son was taken into surgery. I checked out at that time, which means I was there for barely 4 hours. When I get home I got a call from my bank that they were charging me over $800 for this stay. I called the hotel and they stated that there was smoking in the room and therefore the additional $697 charges were for special cleaning of the room. I have tried in vain to get some type of satisfaction with their manager as I am myself a chemotherapy patient and am a non smoker. I am not a rich person, I am a senior citizen with limited income, and because of this hotel will not be able to afford my medications for the next month.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank cdawncrane
Reviewed 5 April 2010

What an awful experience! The staff were generally very pleasant, but there was just so much they could do in the face of this place. My room had no clock nor working ironing board, and after I ran out of toilet paper I couldn't get any more. Not a big deal, but the people next door having all-night loud sex--or high on drugs or whatever they were doing--was beyond anything I'd ever dealt with in a hotel or motel. Unreal. The staff made one phone call to them to tell them to try to quiet down, but it did no good. They kept screaming and making constant noise all night until they gave up around dawn. When I was being kept up at 2am (the night before an important appointment at the medical center) I thought I'd at least iron my clothes. Not. The ironing board was broken. The room seemed to be missing all sorts of things. Not a comfortable place to stay. I wouldn't wish that horrible night on anyone. Unfortunately, I'd stayed here before and had had less than optimal experiences previously as well. Since it's so convenient to the Medical Center where I need to go, I thought I'd give them another chance. Never again. This was a deplorable place to stay. On top of it, I had another guest scream in my face because I was rushing to my car through the lobby (after I'd been kept waiting all morning for a roll of toilet paper that had never materialized and had to leave, late for my appointment and with a full bladder). It was completely startling and out of proportion to any perceived thing I might have done. All I could figure was she must've had an atrocious night too. Either that or most of the people there were high on something. This place seemed to make everyone miserable.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank My_cats_servant
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Great hotel to stay for hospital appointments. We were able to walk to the hospital from the hotel. We were tired from flying and jet-lagged so we appreciated the on-site restaurant. The food and service was excellent. We traveled with two teenagers, so we appreciated the very large room with a kitchenette. There were four of us and we were not cramped for room. The price was a little steep,but the convenience of the location made it worth it. There were no hospital "special rates" left so we had to pay full price for the room. The room was very clean, bright and welcoming!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 January 2010

I stayed in this hotel about 4 years ago and it was fine, except that I remember hearing more traffic from Stockton Boulevard than I expected with an interior (courtyard) room. Now, based on a very recent stay, I have to concur with those who say the rooms are getting to be a bit too long in the tooth. Also, the rooms with adjoining doors - which is most of them - are far too noisy, reminding me of the dreaded Marriott City Center rooms in Oakland. I requested a quiet room and it took a few tries - and transfers - to get a calm room. Even then the soundproofing between floor and ceiling is minimal, which made the guests upstairs sound like a herd of wild elephants (apparently a lot of repeat guests seek top floor rooms because of this).
Oddly, the fans in the bathroom work in some of the rooms but not all of them - and not in the room I wound up occupying. And at the end of the month of December, the sheets were laid out for summer sleeping - odd. The bed itself was hard, which discouraged all thoughts of staying for an additional night. Finally, the toilet was not too clean for a business hotel.
On the plus side, the area is quiet especially if you can get a room at the front or east side of the hotel. And if you can handle plain hospital food, it's a short walk over to the UC, Davis Medical Center cafeteria for dinner, coffee, etc. In the end, though, I doubt that I would stay here again. It may be a comparative bargain but I'd rather spend a bit more and stay at a Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Great Staff, Spacious King Suite with kitchen, great pool and hot tub and right next to UCDavis Med. Ctr.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2009

We stayed in this hotel after winning it on Priceline.
It was the first hotel of our stay and we just got of the airplane.

Just used the room for a good night sleep and we liked it
The room was clean and the staff was nice.

We didn't care about the location because we left Sacramento the next day.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple