“Not bad for the price”

Ranked #51 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Hawaii
“Not bad for the price”
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Was a little reluctant to stay due to poor reviews. Wanted to judge for myself and just needed an overnighter. Close to fast food and next to IHOP. Continental breakfast juice waffles,bagels, coffee. First stay we came in late and were put on second floor or opposite side of elevator; inconvenient when carrying luggage. Room clean and comfortable bed. Second stay we again were placed on third floor opposite side from elevator. As soon as we walked into room, it smelled like smoke in non-smoking room. We called and were placed in room next door 302. While showering I noticed a used washcloth in shower and used bar of soap and bits of hair in tub. We called front desk. So they moved us to 303. After checking it we moved our bags once more. Front desk was very apologetic and said they don't know who's using the rooms. Probably won't be back but price is right if you're on a budget.

Room Tip: Ask to be near elevator if have kids or luggage
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Hula22
QualitySacramento, General Manager at EconoLodge Sacramento North, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Thank you for staying with us. While I'm glad that you were so impressed with our breakfast and location, I'm sorry about the initial difficulty with your room. Our cleaning staff is meticulous, so this is quite unusual for us. Still, I'll be sure to address your comments. However, it's good to hear that we were able to find a room that worked for you. Thank you for reviewing us. We hope to see you next time you're in Sacramento.

Regards,
Raneeka, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Aberdeen, Maryland
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Stayed here a couple times and each time it has been a great experience, and for the price - excellent. Misty at the front desk and the nice lady who is the manager are the best and great service is worth a lot more than you pay for the room.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank JKSUSA
QualitySacramento, General Manager at EconoLodge Sacramento North, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
We're glad we could make you feel at home! Misty really is a delight to work with. I'll let her know that you were so impressed with her service. I know she'll be happy to hear it! Thanks for the kind words. I'm sure we'll see you next time you're in Sacramento!

Regards,
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 16 July 2012

There are nicer hotels in the area and you pay from $60 to 150 MORE per night to stay at them. So if you are looking for ambiance, luxury feel and a big breakfast go to one of those. If you are looking for a clean room, comfortable bed and is inexpensive, this is a very nice place to stay. The furnishings are shabby, but clean. The bathroom was very clean and worked very well. They even have nice shampoos/soap. The breakfast was okay and much more than I expected for what the room cost. Because of the negative reviews, I was prepared to inspect the room and ask to be switched if there were problems. But, there were none. There was no evidence of unsavory people hanging about. They do offer pet friendly rooms - I can't say what those are like.

Room Tip: Three stories, there is an elevator - we asked for 3rd floor thinking it would be quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank RioVistaMomma
QualitySacramento, General Manager at EconoLodge Sacramento North, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Glad to hear that you were pleasantly surprised! Thanks for giving us a try, and for your review. We hope to see you next time you're in Sacramento.

Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I needed a place to stay last week in Sacramento, while I waited for my next travel nursing assignment paperwork to clear. The manager was very professional and helpful, and the staff helpful. I didn't use the pool, so can't speak to its condition, but there was usually someone using it when I walked by. Ended up staying for 6 nights, and saw no questionable activities, even though the room was on the back side of the motel, where the drug dealers and hookers are reported to hang out. It was nice and quiet. Having said that, I would advise anyone staying in this price point level of motel in a city this size to keep their kids supervised at all times, and not be surprised if some of their temporary "neighbors" are not folks they might invite to Sunday dinner.

I had just driven to California from the East Coast, and stayed at Quality Ins the entire trip, as I am VERY picky about my sleeping arrangements, and their beds are very comfy; plenty of pillows and the sheets are SO SOFT!! That said, I had just seen a piece on the Today show that morning about the places in ANY motel room that you should always wipe down, and had picked up a package of wipes when I stopped at the store that day - and I was glad I did. I have to agree that the carpets are filthy - vacuumed, but frayed and filthy. And since I travel with my cat, I never know what condition my room will be in, but this was the first QI that smelled like pee every time I walked into the room. I have bad sinuses and impaired sense of smell, so it didn't bother me as much as it might have if I had noticed after I shut the door, which I didn't, so I didn't complain.

I did notify the front desk shortly after I checked in that I had needed to wipe down multiple areas in the room out of precautions in most cases, but while doing so I found a single stray hair in the sink and a smear of makeup on th counter. The clerk apologized profusely, and since the manager subsequently agreed to adjust my room rate, which they then held at that lower rate while I stayed 6 nights instead of the originally intended 1 or two nights.

And I'm not sure what the problem was with the breakfast - it was at the high end of what's generally provided for complimentary breakfast at this level of accommodations: bagels, english muffins, an assortment of cold cereals and oatmeal, OJ, apple juice, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, a small offering of fresh fruit, sausages and a make-it-yourself waffle iron. This was the first QI I've stayed at that didn't have fat-free milk, but there was plenty of whole and 2%.

All in all, I felt quite safe during this unexpectedly extended stay, and my travel budget certainly appreciated the break from spending too much on a room while I waited for my next assignment (and next paycheck) to begin. It's very conveniently located to the I80, Ihop, Carl's Jr., Taco Bell and McDonald's. If they install some new carpeting and clean more thoroughly, I'd upgrade the rating.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
We always appreciate when our guests take the time to write such thoughtful, detailed reviews. Your safety is our first priority, and we're glad to hear that you felt comfortable, especially since you were traveling alone. We know that there is always room for improvement, and you left some fantastic feedback for us to consider. In fact, we're in the process of replacing our rugs. They should be in perfect condition for your next stay. Thank you for staying with us, and for your honesty. We'd be happy to have you back next time you're in Sacramento!

San Jose, CA
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Thank God I only stayed here for one night!!! I came here with my church youth group for Acquire the Fire 2012. Since there were 28 people in our group, we had to have 4 people per room, which was 7 rooms in total. We raised money ourselves for the trip and hoped to get a decent hotel. I understand we couldn't afford a high-end hotel, so I guess we just ended up staying in this little shabby shack.
Originally, me and one friend had a room far away from the other people in our youth group. We switched with a family that came with our youth group from church, since we had to share our flat irons and clothes with our friends (they originally had a room with just them two), so we stayed with them to keep the number of people in rooms balanced again. We also switched rooms with that family because this hotel is in a semi-dangerous location (there was this guy [not giving out his ethnicity for a number of reasons] staring at me and my friend as we were switching rooms and trying to follow us. There were also some hookers and drug dealers across the street staring at us. The only positive thing about the location was the closeness of the fast food joints nearby; but even then, there were still some weird people there too.
I would also like to say the room was only OKAY. The shower squeaked a lot and the towels smelled like feet and felt scratchy. I had to carry my shoes around because I didn't want to walk on the smelly and sticky carpet. The bedspread had a sort of weird stain (couldn't make out what it was) so I had to take it off and wash my hands immediately. I only slept for about 4 hours (my average is 10) due to the constant noise of some people running through the halls and yelling across to friends. The next morning, my friends and I were getting dressed and doing our hair and makeup and some weird guy (again, not giving out his ethnicity) knocked on our door asking us for crack. This scared us so we locked the door and thankfully the curtains were already closed. About half hour later, I was done getting ready before my friends, so I thought I might as well get some breakfast downstairs. So I walked over to the lobby and there weren't very many choices for food. Instead, I just chilled with the other people from my youth group until we had to leave. At that time, we all walked over to McDonald's for breakfast.
My all around review? Meh... I give it about a 2 out of 5. Pretty crappy location with the exception of the fast food joints. Other than that, the rooms were pretty crappy when it . Me and my friend (in our original room before we switched) had a guest mattress bed or whatever the heck they call those and it was all full of crumbs and hair and it smelled like sweat. YUCK! I really have nothing much to say about this. But it's not a TERRIBLE place to stay, nor is it the best place to stay. But if there's nowhere else to stay or your other hotel is overbooked, then why the heck not? Go for it.

Room Tip: Make sure if you're going with a big group like I did, get rooms altogether on the same floor an...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank molly_medel
, General Manager at EconoLodge Sacramento North, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Thank you for giving us a try. Our first priority is to make sure that all of our guests feel safe. We have security on site and I would have happily sent them to your room. Please don't hesitate to ask.

I'm sorry that you were awakened by other guests. Again, we're happy to quiet them for you so you can get some rest. Did you alert the front desk?

The conditions you described are not up to our standard, and I will certainly discuss this with housekeeping. Thank you for your honesty. Although it was disappointing to hear about this, not knowing would have been worse.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

My family & I stayed there this weekend. We went for a softball tournaments. Pool was gross our coaches had to clean it out. The rooms were so dirty we went out & bought lysol wipe everything down. The breakfast gave everyone the runs. That's not even the worst part!! There drug deals & hookers that hang out outside!!!!!! Very scary place!! Think about it before they take your $$. I will NEVER stay there again. I wish I could have my money back!!

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at EconoLodge Sacramento North, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
I am sorry to hear about this. We take all of the necessary measures to ensure that our guests are safe. I want to make this right for you. Please call me at (916) 927-7117 if you'd like to discuss this further.

Oakland, California
Reviewed 17 June 2012

The room was unclean and the carpets were filthy and tattered(vacuumed but filthy non the less). The green bedspread had an old dried, stain that looked suspiciously like a bodily fluid. The bedding appeared lumpy and extremely uninviting. The bathroom looked wiped down instead of cleaned. The railings leading to the up stair rooms was filthy and had cobwebs. The trash basket had been used and for a non smoking room, it had an overwhelming smell of tobacco that reeked of some sort of air freshener, poorly masking the overall smell of the room. It gave me the creeps being in the room and after seeing the stain on the bedding, an overwhelming sense that something was crawling on my skin. Yuk!!The managerial response to our complaints were unprofessional and harsh. We were initially told that we could not have the charges reversed, even though we did not spend the night, because we had already checked in an hour before. After much drama and complaints of this writer still undergoing cancer treatments and another family member with asthma...threats of a lawsuit and proof that pictures had been taken, we were assured that the charges would be reversed. I have pictures, but are saving them for any legal action that may ensue if all of the charges are not reversed.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank debiglynn
, General Manager at EconoLodge Sacramento North, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us, as it allows me to address these issues. We take pride in maintaining a clean, welcoming hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your room. However, we did offer you another room after you voiced your concerns. We have since reimbursed you for the incident, and this should clear within three business days. While I'm sorry that you were disappointed, we have taken all of the necessary steps to uphold our high standards, and we stand by them. I'm glad that we have reached a resolution and I hope that all is well with you and your family.