“Nice place”

Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel
Ranked #13 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed 24 August 2014

my wife and i stayed here on our 20th wedding anniversary. The check in was check and efficient, staff were willing to help at any moment. We just had a cocktail and appetizer in the lounge before a scheduled dinner...service, drinks and food were great.
I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Robert R, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for your review. It is great to hear that our employees were able to provide outstanding service for you and your wife ! We hope to welcome you back for many more anniversaries!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is not an inexpensive hotel. In fact, it's a better-than-average full service Sheraton. I stayed in a King room, on the 23rd floor and had a great view from my window. The fitness gym is great, and the pool, even though is very, very small, shallow but still well-maintained and comfortable. This is a great place for business travelers, and it will make you feel like you're getting a break from being on the road. I didn't try the room service or eat at the hotel, but everything looked good. There's a huge bar in the lobby with nice seating that also serves food. The service was great too, especially the valet peeps. There is internet and wifi, but there's a daily fee for use. Nothing is free in the hotel except two bottles of water and the ice. So keep all the added expenses in mind.

Rooms are comfortable and clean, and the bed is your typical heavenly bed. Everything looked well kept. I liked the work table, and I especially liked that there were plenty of electrical plugs in logical locations that didn't require me to move furniture to access them. This has always been a pet peeve in older hotels. There was not a refrigerator so don't plan on storing any food. But hotels will usually rent you a fridge if you need one. So do check with the desk. I used the ice bucket to keep my drink cold. Temperature control system was nice and quiet. I didn't hear much noise from neighbors and I was there during two conventions, and the place was packed. The elevator was the noise. Curtains did a good job for shading, and DO make sure you close everything unless you want to wake up right when the sunrises. At least in the Summer months, it gets pretty bright.

Parking is ridiculous, and it's typical downtown area. Valet was $28 a night, and self park is $20, so it's really a small difference. Self parking is in a separate detached building across the street, so be prepared to lug your things back and forth. I opted for valet parking even though I didn't technically need it so much. I just liked the convenience. This was the only thing I disliked about the hotel.

Their elevators are pretty noisy, so ask for a room away from the elevator. I had the room next to it, and although on the weekends, it's less noisy, come Monday...those elevator bells will ding well into early morning. I loss some sleep from it.

There are great restaurants in Sacramento now, and there's plenty of choices if you're willing to drive ten minutes around the area. But you can walk to some wonderful restaurants from the hotel, but most cater to expense account dinners...so if you're not traveling for work, consider trying some of their other local places. I ate dinner one night at Magpie, and it was delicious and reasonable. There's a vegetarian restaurant within walking distance too called Mothers that was recommended. But they're closed on Mondays. I heard Bernardo's was good, especially for breakfast. Be careful walking around the area though. This is downtown, and one block will look brand new (near the hotel), three blocks later, it's super seedy. Then another two blocks another direction...it's fine again. Just think about that if you're traveling alone like I was.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank flannelpajamas

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We here at the Sheraton Grand are always striving to provide a comfortable and convenient experience for our guests. Your feedback will be shared with our team and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had stayed at the Grand Sheraton Sacramento shortly after it opened, and were looking forward to staying there again.

Much of the property was originally the Sacramento Public Market, and that grand structure has been incorporated into the hotel's design. The main part of the lobby, many breakout rooms, the restaurant and the bar are all enclosed within the old Public Market structure, and its history is visually obvious, from the front door at 15th St & L St entrance, to the atrium skylight, with interior ironwork.

We arrived at a busy time, but the reservations/check-in process went well. The hotel could use a few more stations, for active times. Though my wife is a Starwood Platinum member, we were not offered an upgrade, due to the occupancy of the hotel during our stay, and our being on a corporate rate for a meeting on the property.

Our room was very nice, albeit small. It was clean, and with a comfortable bed. The bathroom is small, but adequately appointed. The view was over the Convention Center, so while not bad, is nothing to wax poetic about. The hotel was quiet, comfortable, and all staff were very accommodating during our stay.

The general property architecture is its biggest draw, and greatest charm. The room that we occupied was just average for a Sheraton hotel. Still, our stay was pleasant, and we would stay there again. In the Trip Advisor hotel review details, there is a place for "A Classic Hotel," and really the answer is two-fold - yes (for much of the common area), and no (for the rooms). Still, considering the common areas, there IS great charm - just not in the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Robert R, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a "Grand" and eloquent review of our hotel! As a Sheraton, we strive to create a warm and inviting environment for all of our guests. Our connection to the historic aspects of our building is an ingetral part of the guest experience and it is great to hear that your experience was such a positive one. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed there to celebrate 22nd wedding anniversary. Extremely easy to find. The staff was more than helpful from valet to housekeeping. We got a room on the 22nd floor which made for an awesome view. Why only 4 stars? Self parking is a little further than I wanted to tote my luggage around. So we did valet. The large window allowed the rising sun to fill the room with the big bright "WAKE UP" reminder. There was a nice bar/lounge area that gave us some time to relax. It's within walking distance to the state capital. Overall I'm happy with Sheraton Grand

Room Tip: Depending on what you are there for,,,, ask for a high floor room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

We are so happy that you had such a wonderful experience at the Sheraton Grand hotel. Our goal is to provide a comfortable and warm experience. It is great to hear that you were able to enjoy our hospitality during your anniversary! We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The service here is outstanding! I traveled with my husband and six year old last weekend to attend a wedding. The valet guys are so helpful, polite and funny! Give those boys a raise! The location is great. The rooms were very clean. We had a great view on the 22nd floor. The beds were SO comfy!! I didn't try the room service, however i did try the breakfast buffet and it was just so so. I ended up getting a pizza delivered the first night. The pool is very very small but it was still fun. They have a pretty decent fitness center. Starbucks coffee in the rooms, as well as tea was great. Housekeeping was wonderful as well! Always remember to tip your housekeeper! Overall, great stay!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

It is wonderful to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience at the Sheraton Grand Sacramento. Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We hope to welcome you and your family back very soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The room and food was average. Hotel is in a good location. Not as good as other Starwood properties. Charged for small amenities like baby shampoo. Charges for internet. I didn't valet a car, but it looked like it took forever. There was a long line and people grumbling about it taking too long and making them late.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us regarding your most recent stay. We are disappointed to hear about your experience and your feedback will be forwarded to the appropriate managers. We hope to welcome you back and provide a more positive experience next time!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Having "Grand" in the name made me expect more than just an average downtown city hotel. The room was nice but nothing spectacular. The front desk staff and bellmen were all extremely helpful and are what really made the stay worth it. It is right across the street from the Convention Center so if you have a meeting there, you can't beat the location. As always, it amazes me that the very high priced hotels such as this do not offer free wifi in the rooms when pretty much every budget motel does that. While it is an ok place to stay, I will probably try one of the competitors should I need to attend another meeting at the Convention Center.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Robert R, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience and it is great to hear that our front desk and bell staff were able to provide you with helpful service. Your feedback will be shared with all of the appropriate teams.