“Nice Enough for a quick one-night "budget"business trip to town”

Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel
Ranked #13 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Newtown, PA
“Nice Enough for a quick one-night "budget"business trip to town”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Hotel was in a decent location within walking distance to capital building and other sites. Far from the old-town. The rooms were dated but kept up. I was particularly shocked that the bed's mattress had seen better days and was collapsed in the center (years beyond it's expiry date really). I don't think flipping it over would have helped. I guess Starwood's Heavenly Bed does not apply to the Sheraton brand at this hotel. Perhaps I was just put in an old room that has yet to see a new bed? Doubt it though.

Breakfast service was great. Nice servers and good selection. Would try the Hyatt next time or another hotel before returning here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Robert R, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback will be shared with the appropriate managers so that we can strive to provide a more comfortable stay for our guests. We hope to welcome you back for a more pleasant experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Great customer service from the moment you pull up in front of the hotel. After checking in, the young bellman took us to our room, and then took us to the lounge on the top floor (even though we're aren't premier members or don't have a frequent traveler's account with Sheraton). We didn't stay long; just took in the view for a few minutes, and then went back to our room. But it was typical of the type of service we received during our short, one-night stay. Also, if you're going to visit the capital, it's in a great location.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Robert R, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
It is wonderful to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience at the Sheraton Grand Sacramento. Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We hope to welcome you back very soon!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

From the moment I pulled up to the curb and was approached by the Valet attendant, I felt like someone important. He answered my questions, offered help with bags, and wished me a good stay. The greeter in the lobby was engaging and seemed to sincerely care when he asked how my trip went. The front desk attendant was friendly and efficient. The room is spacious! Comfortable beds, plenty of fluffy pillows. LOVE the window seat!!! Not the best view from the sixth floor but still a nice spot to read or meditate in natural light. Room service was SUPERB! Call was answered promptly, order was repeated for confirmation, and an approx 30 min wait time was given. My ordered arrived in less than 20. Grilled cheese and tomato salad were DELICIOUS!! As was the fruit salad I had for dessert. Yes, I'm surprised. I've learn to accept that room service is convenient and expensive. But this meal, simple as it was, was worth its price! The room service porter was cheerful and most helpful! I will definitely return if I find myself in Sacramento again!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Robert R, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
It is wonderful to hear that our staff was able to help you thoroughly enjoy your experience at the Sheraton Grand Sacramento. Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We hope to welcome you back very soon!
Chico, California
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The hotel was in great condition, the room was very nice and clean and well kept. The staff at the front desk was helpful and moved everything right along even with the rush of people. Everything was pretty "okay" until I called room service for some chips and salsa and a couple beers. The lady who took care of me was so sweet and so genuine that my cheeks hurt from smiling so hard. They wanted us to try the local beer so they gave us the two beers that we ordered and a free glass of their local IPA, which was in fact very good. I later ordered another round of the local brew and the lady (whose name unfortunately is escaping me) was still just as excited and happy and sweet. She just made the whole experience for me. Also, when we had paused the movie that we purchased to sign for room service the movie messed up, so we called down to the front desk and they were very pleasant and happy to reset it for us. This was my first time at this hotel, but I would definitely go back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BluntKate
We are so happy to hear that you had such a positive experience at the Sheraton Grand hotel. Our goal is to provide a comfortable and warm experience and it is great to hear that our staff was able to provide that! All of your feedback will be shared with our team. We hope to welcome you back soon!
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed 24 August 2014

my wife and i stayed here on our 20th wedding anniversary. The check in was check and efficient, staff were willing to help at any moment. We just had a cocktail and appetizer in the lounge before a scheduled dinner...service, drinks and food were great.
I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Robert R, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for your review. It is great to hear that our employees were able to provide outstanding service for you and your wife ! We hope to welcome you back for many more anniversaries!
San Francisco
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is not an inexpensive hotel. In fact, it's a better-than-average full service Sheraton. I stayed in a King room, on the 23rd floor and had a great view from my window. The fitness gym is great, and the pool, even though is very, very small, shallow but still well-maintained and comfortable. This is a great place for business travelers, and it will make you feel like you're getting a break from being on the road. I didn't try the room service or eat at the hotel, but everything looked good. There's a huge bar in the lobby with nice seating that also serves food. The service was great too, especially the valet peeps. There is internet and wifi, but there's a daily fee for use. Nothing is free in the hotel except two bottles of water and the ice. So keep all the added expenses in mind.

Rooms are comfortable and clean, and the bed is your typical heavenly bed. Everything looked well kept. I liked the work table, and I especially liked that there were plenty of electrical plugs in logical locations that didn't require me to move furniture to access them. This has always been a pet peeve in older hotels. There was not a refrigerator so don't plan on storing any food. But hotels will usually rent you a fridge if you need one. So do check with the desk. I used the ice bucket to keep my drink cold. Temperature control system was nice and quiet. I didn't hear much noise from neighbors and I was there during two conventions, and the place was packed. The elevator was the noise. Curtains did a good job for shading, and DO make sure you close everything unless you want to wake up right when the sunrises. At least in the Summer months, it gets pretty bright.

Parking is ridiculous, and it's typical downtown area. Valet was $28 a night, and self park is $20, so it's really a small difference. Self parking is in a separate detached building across the street, so be prepared to lug your things back and forth. I opted for valet parking even though I didn't technically need it so much. I just liked the convenience. This was the only thing I disliked about the hotel.

Their elevators are pretty noisy, so ask for a room away from the elevator. I had the room next to it, and although on the weekends, it's less noisy, come Monday...those elevator bells will ding well into early morning. I loss some sleep from it.

There are great restaurants in Sacramento now, and there's plenty of choices if you're willing to drive ten minutes around the area. But you can walk to some wonderful restaurants from the hotel, but most cater to expense account dinners...so if you're not traveling for work, consider trying some of their other local places. I ate dinner one night at Magpie, and it was delicious and reasonable. There's a vegetarian restaurant within walking distance too called Mothers that was recommended. But they're closed on Mondays. I heard Bernardo's was good, especially for breakfast. Be careful walking around the area though. This is downtown, and one block will look brand new (near the hotel), three blocks later, it's super seedy. Then another two blocks another direction...it's fine again. Just think about that if you're traveling alone like I was.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator.
Green Features: They have this point system where you get some credits toward your frequent stay membership if you don't get your sheet and towel changed. There is also a paper recycling bin inside the room for you to separate your trash.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank flannelpajamas
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We here at the Sheraton Grand are always striving to provide a comfortable and convenient experience for our guests. Your feedback will be shared with our team and we hope to welcome you back soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had stayed at the Grand Sheraton Sacramento shortly after it opened, and were looking forward to staying there again.

Much of the property was originally the Sacramento Public Market, and that grand structure has been incorporated into the hotel's design. The main part of the lobby, many breakout rooms, the restaurant and the bar are all enclosed within the old Public Market structure, and its history is visually obvious, from the front door at 15th St & L St entrance, to the atrium skylight, with interior ironwork.

We arrived at a busy time, but the reservations/check-in process went well. The hotel could use a few more stations, for active times. Though my wife is a Starwood Platinum member, we were not offered an upgrade, due to the occupancy of the hotel during our stay, and our being on a corporate rate for a meeting on the property.

Our room was very nice, albeit small. It was clean, and with a comfortable bed. The bathroom is small, but adequately appointed. The view was over the Convention Center, so while not bad, is nothing to wax poetic about. The hotel was quiet, comfortable, and all staff were very accommodating during our stay.

The general property architecture is its biggest draw, and greatest charm. The room that we occupied was just average for a Sheraton hotel. Still, our stay was pleasant, and we would stay there again. In the Trip Advisor hotel review details, there is a place for "A Classic Hotel," and really the answer is two-fold - yes (for much of the common area), and no (for the rooms). Still, considering the common areas, there IS great charm - just not in the rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Robert R, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a "Grand" and eloquent review of our hotel! As a Sheraton, we strive to create a warm and inviting environment for all of our guests. Our connection to the historic aspects of our building is an ingetral part of the guest experience and it is great to hear that your experience was such a positive one. We hope to welcome you back again soon!