“Treated Like PRICELINE Stepchild”

Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel
Ranked #13 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
SF Bay area
“Treated Like PRICELINE Stepchild”
Reviewed 10 January 2009

Had a feeling was not going to be impressed when I checked in at 3:30pm. Agent at front desk went to the back to work on my room while other guests came up after me got their room keys and were off to thier rooms. I decided to self park the car when I came back the agent was still in the back so I asked the other agent at the front desk if there was a problem with my reservation. He replied "no, they are just finishing getting your room ready". (hmmmm my room huh, they had one just for me?) So I finally get the keys to my room. The agent doesnt apologize for the wait but does ask me if I'm self parking so I say yes and she tells me "here is a parking voucher that will save you money" the voucher says $18bucks and since I had already parked and read the sign that said 18 dollar day max at the public parking garage, I asked how it saved me money, She hummed and hawwed. Turns out they just want to sell it to you and charge it on the room. Must get a piece of the action from the parking garage, no savings. Just didn't appreciate the double talk. Got to the room, one of the magnetic room keys didnt work. Went back down to same agent and got anogther key swiped and a lecture on placing the key next to my cell-phone (the key never left the room number sleeve). The replacement key didnt work. Went back down got two more keys which never worked and gave up.

Next day, at checkout time, the guy with the clipboard was at our room door at 12:02, no kidding. Asking if we were chekcing out, which we were in the process of packing up. He let us know we had to be out by 12:30 as he had this room sold. Of course we had to call the bell hop oursleves. In review, Had to wait to get the room when we checked in and got hurried out of it. FYI, in case you are not traveling now or are reading this when the economy is out of the depression, the hotel is not very full, none are.

WE GOT THE PRICELINE ROOM and THE PRICELINE TREATMENT!!!!!!

• Liked — location and bedding
  • Disliked — rude front desk
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Thousand Oaks, CA
Reviewed 2 January 2009

The hotel is very nice, with fairly large rooms that are clean and well-decorated.

My first room was 902 and smelled terribly of cooking smoke - it was located directly above a restaurant vent that was belching smoke. When I complained, their first offer was to move me to 602 - three floors closer to the source of the smoke. Finally, they found me a room on a much higher floor that did not smell so bad.

My room had a king bed, side tables, desk, comfortable chair with footstool, a window seat, closet, large bathroom with tub shower. Very large flat screen TV. Window had views of Convention Center and downtown Sacramento.

Restaurants onsite and a nice lobby bar. Starbucks across the street at Convention Center, many other restaurants and State Capitol within walking distance.

My car was broken into at the Sheraton Parking Garage (self-park), but a kind security guard waited by my car for 7 hours til I turned up to make sure nothing else was stolen. I was impressed by that.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Car broken into in parking garage
  • Stayed December 2008
1 Thank Bobette23
California
Reviewed 9 October 2008

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon night. We had our limo pick us up from our wedding venue and drive us the 150 miles to our hotel. We arrived on a Saturday evening around 12:00 a.m. Check in was quick and efficient, and customer service was great. I had previously ordered roses to be delivered to our room via concerige. We were on the 23rd floor, when we arrived to the room, the rose pedals were on the floor following to the bed. It was done perfectly.

We had a king size bedroom, nice flat screen TV, and nice window seat with a view. The bed was comfortable, nice size bathroom with good ammenities. There is a shuttle that picks up from the hotel to take you to the airport. Would stay here again if in the downtown area. We got a California resident rate of $119 p/night on the Sheraton Web site.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Davis, CA
Reviewed 23 September 2008

The Sheraton is a good call if you are looking to stay in downtown Sacramento. You can easily walk to a number of good restaurants.

I got a great rate on Priceline, so that is the way to go.

The room was nice, nothing real special. Nice flat screen TV. The bathroom was very small and not very luxurious.

• Liked — Walking distance to good restaurants
  • Disliked — Small bathroom
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 17 August 2008

The Sheraton Grand is clearly a hotel that caters to the business set during the week. On the weekends, they offer great rates and above average accommodations and welcome dogs.

The rooms are nicely done and saved from being too business-y by the window seat. Huge windows with nice views, chairs are comfortable and the bedding is great - solid mattresses with very good linens. Bathrooms are large, products are nice. Big closet, giant TV.

Service is very solid and professional - check in is quick and requests are managed quickly and correctly. The location is nice - walk to Old town, down K street or around the Capitol grounds.

Recommend!

• Liked — Room and Hotel very nice
  • Disliked — one front desk clerk was ridiculously unprofessional
  • Stayed August 2008
Houston, TX
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,067 helpful votes
Reviewed 8 August 2008

We recently stayed at The Sheraton Grand the night of Aug. 4th on a trip back from Lake Tahoe, en route back to Texas. I booked it using Starwood points and didn't have high expectations. However, my boyfriend and I thought that it turned out to be a great hotel. Here are the pros and cons:

PROS
1. Very stylish and modern decor. The check-in area is decorated with muted tones and lovely warm woods and looks onto a huge, 3-story high atrium. The lobby/bar area is modern in a very welcoming way.
2. Check-in was a breeze. We spent maybe 5 minutes at the check-in desk with the extremely competent desk clerk and then were off to the room.
3. Our room on the 24th was large and had a huge picture window facing the eastern part of Sacramento and out to the Sierra Nevada Foothills. There was a coffee maker in the room with complimentary packs of Starbucks coffee and assorted Tazo Teas. The bed was large and comfortable, and had a variety of pillows (foam and feather).
4. The bathroom was spacious, clean and well-lighted. Nice "Mandarin-Mint" toiletries from Bliss Spa in generous sizes.
5. We worked out the next morning and found the hotel gym to be relatively large with new equipment, clean and in excellent condition. Plenty of gym towels, water and magazines.
6. We ordered breakfast from room service which arrived as promised (w/in 30 minutes) and was very tasty (egg white omelets with vegetables, wheat toast).

CONS
1. Parking: Your only options to park your car are to self-park in the parking garage across the street for $13/nt. or valet for $25/nt. It just bugs me to have to pay that much for parking!!
2. The hotel pool was a tiny, pitiful-looking rectangular pool surrounded by close in 15 ft high walls made of cinder blocks. It must only get light at noon for about 15 minutes. I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend time there.

However, all things considered, I would definitely stay at The Sacramento Sheraton Grand again!

• Liked — Great location, nice well-maintained hotel, nice gym
  • Disliked — Steep parking charge, small ratty pool
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jemimagold
Temecula, CA
Reviewed 7 August 2008

Nice hotel. Clean and has a friendly front desk. Nice views and location is very convenient.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family