“Great Comfort Food in Remarkable Portions”
Review of Black Bear Diner

Black Bear Diner
Ranked #28 of 2,061 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stay at the Fairfield Inn across the street at your own peril! If you stay for more than a day, hire a tailor to let out all your clothes! Great comfort food (requires a nap after each meal).

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We ate at the Black Bear Diner at 2700 El Centro on Saturday evening January 4th. This is probably the worst meal I've had in a restaurant in years. I had their Black Bear burger. The meat was over done and dry, the bun was soggy and there was so little avacado I could barely find it. My wife had the Oriental Chicken salad. There was very little cabbage and it was basically tasteless. The service was satisfactory and the restaurant was relatively clean, the only 2 good things I can say about the Diner. There is a fast food restaurant next door and that would no doubt have been a better choice - and I haven't eaten in a fast food restaurant in years. Will not be visiting this chain again.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I had been to Black Bear maybe a year ago and have forgotten how much I like this restaurant! I also forgot how big the portions were which is why I got a funny look from my waitress when I ordered "The Grizz". Being a petite lady (I'm only 5'1") it was enough for 3 meals! Meal was delicious and great comfort food - but probably not the greatest choice if you are on a diet. I'd definitely go here again. I think it's a great place to have brunch when we have guests visiting us from out of town.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Thanks to poor management this franchise is off the rails. Love the Black Bear in Madera CA but service training here is apparently nonexistent. Our poor waiter was clearly out of his league. One waitress was trying to appease the other servers' diners. When we were seated, there were no servers on the floor, then several came out at once. Everyone available was seating parties and answering the phone. No accountability.

The food was okay, but the rest was so chaotic it was hard to enjoy.. i had planned to order a salad, but looking into the kitchen from our table and seeing a huge trash can overflowing with lettuce, I wasn't sure if the salad was coming in or out of it.

We had a discrepancy on our our check which the manager blamed on our server being new. She did not adjust...Can I give zero dots???

Reviewed 16 October 2013

My wife and I tried this restaurant only because it was across the street from our motel. We feel we more or less lucked out. However, I do have a nit or two to pick. Although the food was pretty good and our server was personable, friendly, and informative, he couldn't seem to remember things for more than two or three minutes at a time. He forgot the straw for the water, the vinaigrette, the salt and pepper...in short, much of the little stuff that makes a meal a dining experience. Maybe he was new at the job. I tend to blame the manager for lackadaisical training. Don't they even know to write things down? We kind of felt sorry for him as he, as we thought, was trying to do a good job. Oh well, as I said, the food was pretty although I really dislike all that fat on the meat. I know fat improves the taste of the pot roast, but I can do without it. The peach cobbler, made with Splenda, was tasty. I'd give it a seven if I could. I guess I'll give them an anemic four.