“Try it for brunch”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Los Angeles, California
“Try it for brunch”
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

Just had a lovely brunch on Sat at Bistro Michel - the restaurant was empty but the owner made us feel welcome. Everything was cooked to perfection - simple BLT, eggs with cured salmon - just delicious. Perfect for brunch!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank pfk721

Rocklin, California
“Mostly good, give it a try”
Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

After reading earlier reviews on the slow service we decided to make our reservation for 5:30 on a Saturday. This was perfect since we easily finished by 7:30 which gave us plenty of time to get to the 8:00 show at the Community Center.

The cheese plate was excellent, as was the bread and butter. It's odd to be charged $2 for bread, but they do bring more out if you ask. The chilled English Pea soup had a strange "twang". The Sea Bass was exquisite as was the steak, which was perfectly cooked. It came with enough "frites" (fries) for all 4 of us. These were cooked in a very flavorfull oil which made dipping them in ketchup a waste. The roasted chicken was ok, the Risotto was gummy, not creamy as one would expect. One expects the portions to be on the small side in a French restaurant but we did not feel that was the case here.

The chocolate cake desert was very rich and enough for 2. The seasonal apricot/berry cobbler with ice cream was sublime. The Creme Brulee was a dissapointment since the inside was ice cold, the top too brown.

Our waiter kept the service going at the perfect pace for us. If we go to another show nearby we would probably give the Bistro Michel another try.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank rgadavis
Carmichael, California
“Love the small local feel of this side of mid-town”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I like it when the owner waits on you and is proud of his little jewel on 14th and O .... A graduate of Le Cordon Bleu, he also lives in the neighborhood.... He offers French lessons on Wednesday eveings and represets the more quiet, relaxed and bohemian side of midtown - NOT 16th and J - but 14th and O ... a whole different vibe. I like it.

Four of us started with Scallops and Escargot - both delicious. Main dishes were Vegetarian Risotto, Muscles and Sea Bass ... all fantastic. I do have to agree that the service was not 'quick' ... not a speedy type of place .... so be ready to relax with some wine and good friends ... If you're in a hurry, maybe 'rush' to the ever popular 16th and J Street restaurants.

• Visited March 2013
Fresno, California
“Sacre Bleu!”
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I was in Sacramento recently for a conference. A friend highly recommended the Bistro for dinner so we made reservations for Sat night. We had changes in headcount twice but called to advise them of the changes--we thought we were being courteous. We were 8 for dinner. The service was very slow although only a few tables taken when we arrived. The negative service experience totally clouds my ability to make an unbiased food review. I found the escargot barely OK. My daughter's pork main course was delicious but I found the bill pricey for what we got--without wine, my bill was over $100 and I didn't even have a main course. The atmosphere was tidy and intimate but a bit loud. Our party was served LAST although several tables arrived much later than we. When finished with our meal, I decided to ask for the manager/supv and express my displeasure but was met w/cold annoyance from the mgr. He proceeded to tell us that our headcount change was inconvenient, our table of 8 was large, separate checks was inconvenient (they are near the State Capitol & should be used to people attending conferences etal) and that he did everything he could to accommodate. He had excuses for our bad experience and when I asked why, as a small business, he didn't stop w/excuses and just apologize he said he thought that he had! I must have missed it because we never heard "I'm sorry for your bad experience and I'd like to have you come back for a better experience." Two other ladies from our party also complained and he finally relented and told one he hoped we'd give them another chance. I don't know...he did not seem contrite and must not need our business.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Martha K
Carmichael, California
“Nice Place to Spend an Evening”
Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

Located somewhat off the beaten path of Midtown Sacramento, Bistro Michel was only about half full at 7:30 PM on a Saturday night so despite our party of four having a quality meal, we were somewhat concerned that the restaurant will not go the way of Virga's and Gaylord's, two good restaurants that preceded Bistro Michel in this location. The exterior had been renovated, but the interior was about the same. Loved the white table cloths, wine glassware, and flowers, the place had a big city vibe. We brought our own wine and our server offered to chill our ZD Chard and decant our bottle of Orin Swift "Prisoner." Corkage at $15 per bottle was quite reasonable. No problem splitting our salads at no extra charge, but charging $2 for bread and butter seemed chintzy. Salads consisted of chilled fresh crisp Bibb lettuce, accompanied by black radish, sliced hard-boiled egg and a good shallot vinaigrette dressing. The 10 oz. flat iron steak was perfectly cooked medium rare and was hot and flavorful, topped by herbed butter and accompanied by pommes frites dressed with truffle oil that were out of this world. Others had the fish of the day which was escolar, the portion of which was somewhat small, but the sauce, potatoes, and spinach were delicious. The chocolate cheese cake was shared and very respectable. Service was slow for a half full restaurant. We did appreciate the owner, Richard Macias, coming over to ask how we were doing. We all agreed we would come back, but would have the kitchen hustle things along a bit quicker, and not charge for bread and butter.