“Can't go wrong here”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Perhaps we were the beneficiaries of low expectations, we thought that eating on a permanently docked paddlewheel boat was a tourist trap. But we heard good things about both the hotel and the restaurant and pub, so we gave it a try. The food was outstanding and being able to eat outside overlooking the Tower Bridge was a great. I had a kobe beef burger of $12, which I felt was a good value. My wife also raved about her dish - canjun linguine.

The service was very good. For a different atmosphere and great food, you can't go wrong on this boat.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

During a recent visit lunch on the Delta King was served in the Bar and Grill. It's a pleasant room with great views of the river. Our party of four enjoyed the food, the service and the ambiance of the setting. For a starter we shared a serving of flatbread. The bread arrived at the table warm with melted mozzarella cheese, chopped tomatoes and basil. The salad "expert" in our party ordered the shrimp salad. The romaine was crisp and topped with a large portion of shrimp, cherry tomatoes, asparagus and hard cooked eggs. Two of us had the steamed mussels and they were delicious. The mussels were tender and served in a well seasoned sauce with a tomato base. The other person in our party ordered the cheese flight. The plate was attractive as well as very good. The selection of cheeses was served at room temperature with dried apricots, figs and honey. Our server was knowledgeable and helpful. The service was timely and unrushed. We had a most positive experience on a lovey summer day.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

The Pilot House restaurant, located aboard the Delta King in Old Sacramento, is a quaint place to visit if you're a tourist in Old Sacramento. The rich history of the Delta King is a great draw to the area. However, the food & service were a little dicey for this group.

First, we made a reservation a couple of weeks in advance, since we didn't know how crowded it would be on Father's Day, & we had a larger party (10 of us). We left a voice message with our reservation request, since there seemed to be no way to actually talk to an actual person. We were advised if we left message to request for a reservation & didn't hear back from anyone at the restaurant, we would be assured that all will be well once we arrive for our meal. Needless to say, when we arrived, they had no record of our reservation, & we were left to sit in the lobby while they arranged last-minute seating for us. Luckily, our reservation time was early, so there wasn't much trouble getting seated. This dinner was for a very special occasion in our family, so we were frustrated at the lack of communication with the restaurant.

Our server was a nice young lady who was very attentive. As far as the food, considering the prices they charge, it left much to be desired. My sister-in-law & I had the scallops that were quite bland. We both decided we would never order that again if we ever came back. My husband had the crab-stuffed sole, which was pretty good, & my brother-in-law had the rib eye steak, which he enjoyed.

For dessert, we brought in our own cake since it was a special occasion. When our server brought it out, she was preparing to cut & serve it for us. However, we were not advised there was a cake-cutting fee until we specifically asked. She revealed that there was, so we decided we would serve it ourselves. Again, we were frustrated by the lack of communication with the restaurant staff.

Overall, we enjoyed our time together, but will probably not revisit the Pilot House. There are other restaurants in Old Sac & surrounding areas that are much better.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

The food here was very good and they worked with me on my limited diet, some of the best cooked spinach I've ever had. We were there on a Thurs night and I will never do that again. This was a romantic trip I took with my husband and we were looking forward to a romantic dinner overlooking the river but unfortunately this is the same night they have some kind of irish pub event in the bar. The drunken signing was not the mood we were looking for. Now I understand why there were so few people in the restaurant. It was loud and rowdy.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

We have eaten here before (Suspects Dinner and group events) and the food has been acceptable. Due to a Travel Zoo deal, I thought I would give the restaurant another try. The staff were all very pleasant, not only our server but others as well. The room is very historic and the tables are set well. When it's light, there is a nice view of the river. Sunset would be a great time for dinner if you had a window table.

Service was pretty slow, but not "ignore you" type of slow. Just relaxed and casual, very European. Not trying to rush you out to turn the table for more tips. If you are pressed for time, this might not be the best venue.

My husband had salmon with risotto and enjoyed it. We have had better risotto and worse. I had the filet with a cheesy mashed potato and both were very good. We would both order that meal again. Appys, salads and desserts were all good.

The one bad thing that I have a hard time understanding is that you will never be able to talk to anyone at the restaurant by phone without first leaving a message. Reservations are by leaving a message. The problem was that I wanted to check about corkage and see if we could bring our own bottle. I did not think about it early enough to leave a message and expect to get a return call. I was able to speak to someone in the hotel area, but she did not know about corkage and said the only way to speak to someone in the restaurant was to leave a message. They are always too busy to answer the phone. All through the evening I sat facing the hostess stand. I have no idea why that woman could not answer a question about corkage.....Oh well. Good food, nice servers, just a really poor business plan. (the answer is yes, they do allow you to bring your own bottle - corkage is $15.00)

Oh, one last thing. If you are sensitive to vertigo feelings, ask for a table by the window. Sitting in the middle of the dining room where the slant feels the strongest, could pose problems for some.