“Newbie to Tripadvisor so I'm quite perplexed. This hotel is HORRIBLE” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Inn & Suites Sacramento University Area

Comfort Inn & Suites Sacramento University Area
Ranked #28 of 80 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mendocino, California
“Newbie to Tripadvisor so I'm quite perplexed. This hotel is HORRIBLE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

What threw me off are all these 5 star ratings one sees posted up for this place in the last few months. Read that you have to discard extremely positive and glowing reviews, along with the extremely negative ones. Looked at both and was ready to have a decent stay at this particular Comfort Inn. Was not prepared for just how run-down the property was and it appeared nothing has been upgraded in years. Asked for non-smoking and was given a room on the third floor which is 1/2 smoking. I could barely breath getting to my room. Inside the room itself was decor from ancient times and everything was very threadbare. Didn't feel 'comfotable' in the least. Getting in and out of the parking lot is a suicide mission as Howe Avenue is very busy and dangerous. You won't find me here ever again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
13 Thank Janice H
RAJCA644, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Sacramento University Area, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear Guest,

I am truly sorry for your disappointment. Our hotel only has 7 smoking rooms and they are all on the third floor in one corner. I am sorry that you had to stay on the same floor. Our hotel just reached its 10 year anniversary. We have full renovation plans in place including new televisions, furniture, paint, and much much more. We are committed to a total guest satisfaction and I hope you will give us another chance to better serve you in the future. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

This hotel was everything we expected from a Comfort Inn. The room was clean with lots of amenities, and the staff members were helpful and accommodating. We would happily stay here again, and we recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Sacramento University Area, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words of praise. I am pleased that your stay with us was satisfactory and our staff service was upto your expectations. We look forward to serving you again on your next trip to Sacramento.
Cool Springs, Tennesee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

Something I'm not soon likely to forgive my boss for. Anyway, arrived here and as soon as I walked in, saw that this was what I would call a "vergy hotel'. Yet another old property built in the 1980's and never been remodeled. After reading some of the reviews below I assumed it would all be great. Wrong. Dilapidated is the word that comes to mind. Not cheap either. Guess if you want to visit the capital You have to pay!

Worse than any Motel ^ I've ever stayed at is the bottom line.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank GermanFarmBoy B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for being a frequest guest of Choice hotels. I am sorry we couldn't provide you with excellent service. We are soon starting renovations & I look forward to seeing you post completion.
Northfield, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

I was on a business trip and this hotel was very convenient to my business destination. I have generally had good experiences with Comfort Inns and this was no exception. The room was very clean and was on the first floor so it was very convenient. I checked in at noon,and the lady at the desk found me a room for immediate check-in.I asked her for a suggestion for a restaurant and, after discussing our preferences, she suggested Old Sacramento and identified restaurants where we could sit looking out at the river. She then gave us excellent, detailed instructions oh how to get there. The hot breakfast, which included make-your-own waffles, biscuits and gravy and sausage, was excellent. It turned out that I needed a late check-out and they gave me that with no hesitation. The only negative is that the hotel is on a busy divided street, so it can be difficult to get into if you are on the wrong side of the street.

1 Thank Jack M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay. I am pleased that we were able to check you in early and provide you with restaurant recommendations. I am glad that you enjoyed our hot complimentary breakfast & make your own waffles. We look forward to your next visit soon.
Ventura, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

My first stay at a Comfort In and Suites and it was very pleasant. Clean, roomy, comfortable room and bath. The furnishings were a better quality than I expected at this price and included all amenities that you would need: Microwave, fridge, coffeepot, cable TV, hairdryer, ironing board and iron. Excellent, serve-yourself breakfast with wide selection of items for most diets. The staff at this location were wonderful; very friendly and helpful. I locked my keys in my car and the manager brought a couple of different items to try and unlock the door through an small opening in the window. Overall, this was a pleasant surprise and I will stay here on every visit to Sacramento.

Room Tip: If needed there are available handicapped rooms on the first floor!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Duane E
RAJCA644, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Sacramento University Area, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dear Guest,

We are very delighted to receive your kind words of praise. I am pleased that we were able to make your stay pleasant and enjoyable. Our rooms are equipped with all the essential amenities to make your stay comfortable & enjoyable. It is highly rewarding & encouraging when our staff's efforts are noticed by a guest. Thank you for taking the time to rate your stay with us. We look forward to your next visit.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

We stayed at this hotel overnight because our daughter had to attend an orientation at Sac State. The hotel is only minutes away from the campus. When we first pulled in to the parking lot I thought, "oh my, what a small lot and it's next to another motel." Well, don't let the appearance discourage you. The lobby was nicely decorated and well lit. Check in was breezy and friendly. We requested a quiet room and were given room 222 facing the back parking lot. The hallways were all well lit and very clean and welcoming. We had a 2 queen bed room and it was roomy. We had all the amenities needed: fridge/microwave, coffee maker with tea/coffee. The closet had hangers, luggage rack, laundry bag. The bathroom was spacious with lots of counter space. Very very clean indeed. The shower head had very good pressure. Wifi was speedy. Beds were good but the pillows were on the small size and too soft for us. We tried to have a good night sleep because of the pillows....not a single sound was heard above or around us. The air con & fan weren't too loud at all. Complimentary breakfast was served from 6am to 9am in the breakfast room. There were about 6 tables for 4. Items were: tea/coffee, apple/orange juice, hot chocolate/apple cider packets, sausage & sausage patties, scrambled eggs, bread, mini-cinnamon buns, mini bagels, English muffins, hardboiled eggs, yogurt, bananas, oranges, apples, make your own waffles of 2 kinds: original & strawberry, cereals.
The breakfast attendant was very conscientious and was often refilling items. Check out was equally breezy. So overall, we were very impressed with this hotel, especially with its location and quality. We will definitely come back. Keep up the good job, Comfort Suites. Thank you for a good stay. For people who attend graduations or visit their children who go to Sac State, I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank hotelbum
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback. We love detailed feedbacks as it really helps us look at our accomodations and services from the guest's perspective. I am pleased that we were able to meet your expectations & provide you with a good stay. We will soon have new flat screen tvs and a more refreshed look to enhance your future experience. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit soon.
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

My husband and I were in Sacramento, so he could take a contractor’s licensing test. When we check in the desk clerk was very helpful and he arranged for us to have a late checkout. This allowed me to stay at the hotel until he completed his test. Having a nice breakfast was very convenient, for both of us, my husband was able to eat before his test and I was able to go down a little later. I’ve always been very pleased with Comfort Inn & Suites and will continue to make them my first choice. Thank you for taking great care of us.

One recommendation would be larger pillows. It would be nice to have king size pillows on the king beds, and queen pillows on queen beds.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback. It was our pleasure to serve you. I am pleased that our hotel & services were upto your expectations. We will see you on your next visit to Sacramento.