“Older HI & S, Okay Stay”

Hampton Inn & Suites Sacramento-Cal Expo
Ranked #15 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed 8 June 2010

May 2010. I had the opportunity to spend one night at the Hampton Inn & Suites on Auburn Blvd. when business required us to be in the area. The hotel is on Auburn Blvd., parallel to Business 80 freeway. There is plenty of free parking in the parking structure behind the hotel.

Check-in was very slow, there was a group of visitors that needed be checked individual and front desk person was a bit slow. One of the groups leaders apologized to me twice. My first issued room smelled of smoking. I returned to the lobby and notified them that I did not want to be charged for smoking because the room smelled pretty bad. The front desk person was able to find me another room which I appreciated.

My room, was okay.. The bed was comfortable. Lighting in the room was okay. The sofa was well worn. The work desk was moderate and chair was okay. My sleep was uneventful and suprisingly quiet.

The bathroom was clean. Lighting was good, the towels were plentiful, and the shower worked well – immediate hot water with plenty of pressure. Bath amenities include shampoo, conditioner, and lotion.

The weekday evenings complimentary food selections were suprising good for a Hampton. Probably one of the best complimentary evening food offerings I've had in awhile. In fact the food was better than their breakfast the next morning.

The hotel public areas were clean but and worn and could use an updating to the style of the rooms.

The free business computers and internet were not operational. This property is well worn, and unless you need to be in this particular area of Sacramento (Sacramento Hilton is nearby), I would not return here. I recommend the Hampton Inn Natomas Airport or Hampton Inn West Sacramento over this property. These are much newer Hampton Inn properties. However if you want to be in this specific area of Northern Sacramento and you can get a good rate, then this might be the property for you.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank SeminarTrekker
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Sacramento-Cal Expo

Reviewed 21 May 2010

As a business traveler, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The staff made me feel welcome and their speed of check in and out was great. My room was very clean on a daily basis and I had no problems connecting to the Internet, as I need it to do my work. If I could recommend this hotel to my family I would do so.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2010

As a frequent business and leisure traveler, I can say this place was great. I am a very picky traveler and the staff was great at addressing all of my needs as well as my families. As I stayed at this hotel on a Tuesday, I got to attend the great "Guest Appreciation" that they hold for all guests to attend during the evening. This kept me from having to leave at night. I would love to visit the Hampton Inn Sacramento on our next family vacation.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank TopTrvlr
Reviewed 1 April 2010

This is a very old hotel as Hampton Inns go. The biggest problem is that the sound travels from room to room. I wanted to sleep at 10pm and the television sound from the next room came right through the wall. There were also various door slams that sounded like canons going off.

So, if you do not intend to sleep, this hotel is OK.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Ultimatetravelking
Reviewed 2 July 2009

During an poorly planned drive from LA to Seattle, I was fortunately to stop here for a night's sleep before continuing on. Great choice, as the staff was super nice and attentive, the beds were clean and comfy, the room updated with modern decor, clean & efficient. Seemed very well tailored to the business traveler. Did I mention clean? One of the better hotels I stayed at on this trip. Highly recommend. Close to the airport and I-5. There was a breakfast offered, too, but I missed it.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank dloqi
Reviewed 28 May 2009

I stayed for several weeks at this Hampton while working in the Sacramento area. It was my home away from home and I can say without hesitation that it is a great place to stay. Quiet and clean, close to downtown, great breakfast, comfortable beds and amazing staff! Stacie is a standout at the front desk always with a warm smile. She took good care of me - they all did. Thank you to the staff and owners...if I find my way back to that area this is the only place I will stay!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Hansen5
Reviewed 17 October 2008

I had reserved a King Non-Smoking Studio with a whirlpool. I had also request a room on an upper floor through the HiltonHHonors website. I am a Hilton HHonors Diamond Member. When I arrived at the hotel after sitting on an airplane for 7 hours, I was give a room on the 1st floor. I didn't say anything, but walked into the room to find two queen size beds and a handicapped room. I went back to the front desk to let them know of their mistake. The fron desk clerk was very upset that I interrupted his personal call. When he finally talked to me, he said that he had upgraded me to a suite and it is the last room available in the hotel. Upgrade?? I reserved a king studio with a whirlpool and end up with two queens with a small couch in a handicapped room. I was extremely disappointed. When I woke up in the morning, I went to grab my complimentary water, thinking that it was in the little fridge. It wasn't. No water, no snack, no Diamond Level privileges at all. Then I tried to get into the handicapped shower. I'm 6'3" and just spent the night with my feet hanging off of a queen size bed. First of all, I hit my head on the shower curtain rod, then I turned on the shower. It was a handheld shower. If you tried to put it in its holder, it would turn itself and spray at the wall, and then slide down on the holder, so it was spraying the wall at a level of about 4 feet. Needless to say, this was an awful experience. I would tell anyone to stay away from this hotel as there are much better hotels in this city for much better rates. When I checked out, they gave me a lousy certificate for $25 off a future Hampton Inn stay. Then the manager said that he would have given me more gift certificates, but it was the last one that he had. He never offered to mail one to me, to fax one to me, or e-mail one to me. Very disappointed in the treatment here. My associates and I will never stay here again on our future visits to Sacramento. Its unfortunate, as my only customer in town is just down the street. I would rather drive 2 hours in traffic than stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business