“A Pleasant Surprise”

Cuisines: Italian
Austin, Texas
“A Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Stopped in on a hot afternoon because we saw the sign for gelato. Opted for a combination of lemon sorbet and strawberry sorbet which my wife and I shared. Very nice and wish we would have gotten a larger size. Staff was very pleasant and helpful. Went back the following morning for a breakfast panini and an egg scramble. Both were very good and priced very good too. They offer lunch too.

This little place is worth a visit and it is basically across the street from the capitol.

• Visited May 2013

San Antonio, Texas
“Great coffee - what else is there to know?”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

After having lunch nearby, I stopped by to pick up a cup of dark roast coffee to go. Although it was early afternoon, the coffee was fresh and very good. Friendly service always makes for pleasant experience and the lady who helped me was great.

• Visited February 2013
“A short but enjoyable visiy”
Reviewed 12 October 2012 via mobile

I stopped in Cafe Roma by chance following a tour of the state Capitol. But I'll be sure to return if I visit Sacremento again!

Service was great, polite/chatty staff and freshly made food - one of the nicest breakfast croissants I've had!

Sacramento, California
“Nice cafe, great italian dishes”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This is a cafe across from capitol with good coffee, pastries, breakfast items, pizza, and various sandwiches and italian dishes. It is a very casual place with a walk up ordering system and seat yourself. They are expanding into a larger area which will provide more seating. Great place to stop for a quick but quality meal.

Visited August 2012
Sacramento, California
“Good if you're near there and need a quick bite”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I have not had any of their sandwiches or salads, but sampled two specials (Tuesday's lasagna and Thursday's chicken parmesan), the minestrone soup, garlic bread, and a slice of tiramasu.

The chicken parmesan was okay. Not bad, in fact, for the price $6.99. But, it was placed on top of a bed of spaghetti, with some sauce on top. Once I moved it to the side of the pasta so that I could eat the chicken without mashing the spaghetti, that layer of sauce proved too meager for both meat and pasta. And, the pasta was not al dente, the way I prefer. It was downright al mushy.

The lasagna was pretty good, but for my taste, a little too salty. The cake in the tiramasu was a little dry, but I still enjoyed it.

The garlic bread uses sourdough. I'm sure that some people like it that way, but I doubt they ever use sourdough in Italy.

The minestrone was terrible. In general, I undercook my vegetables, but soups should not be crunchy! Worse than the crunchy texture, was the taste. The dominant flavor was salt, overpowering any contribution the vegetables might have made.

The soup was literally just a tad warmer than room temperature. For me, soups are more often too hot than too cold, and I very rarely send food back, but this was ridiculous. Instead of apologizing, the counter girl turned to her colleague and made some snide remark like "I guess he wants to burn his mouth." As I waited for the soup to return from the microwave, I sampled the lasagna. It was only slightly warmer. I was tempted to ask for some more microwaving, but I felt one complaint was enough. I lived to regret that decision. Some sections of the lasagna proved to be downright cold, but by the time I found them, it was too late to ask for reheating. It's probably just one incompetent server that I was unlucky to get, but I'd suggest stressing that they thoroughly heat the food if you ever go to Cafe Roma.

In general, this is certainly an acceptable place to grab a quick lunch near the Capitol, if you are in the mood for Italian food. There's a large enough selection and even a few tables for outdoor dining. It's definitely not a "destination dining spot," though.

• Visited October 2011