“Reasonably Priced, Decent Location”

Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center
Ranked #31 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed 20 March 2011

This property is located just a few blocks from the Sacramento Convention Center and offers a cheaper alternative to the pricey Hyatt and Sheraton Grand located next to the facility.
This is an older hotel that has that feint odor that I can't quite describe when exiting the elevator but that's what you get for the price.
I honestly couldn't get the heat to turn on during my stay which was a minor annoyance with the temps being in the 50's during my stay but I had some warm pj's to compensate.
The best part of my stay was the free breakfast which consisted of a variety of hot and cold foods that ranged from cheese omelettes, biscuits and gravy to scrambled eggs and bacon. The real bonus were the hot cinnamon buns that were available every day.
One of the drawbacks to the hotel is that there aren't any restaurants within a block from the hotel as it borders a fairly sketchy area. But if you are willing to walk a few blocks there are some very nice choices though it would be nice to have a fast food restaurant nearby but I think that's a function of the location being less than desirable.
All in all a decent property and one that I would stay at again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 March 2011

Good location in Downtown Sacramento, spacious room, and nicely taken care of urban property. Only problem experienced was shock waves from the slamming of all room doors in the vicinity when they close (there has got to be a mechanism to prevent this) and a bathroom door that would not close since it was too big for the frame.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
HIEXSACCA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2011

Thank you for your review and comments. I am having my Engineers review the self closing mechanism on the guest room doors to locate any guest doors that may be closing and making a noise and readjusting them to close quietly. I will also have them look for any guest bathroom doors that do not close securely as I am not sure what room number guest stayed in. We conduct daily room inspections before guests check in to make sure each room is ready for each new guest and that each item is in the room and working properly and if a problem is reported, our staff is sure to remedy them immediately to assure safety and satisfaction. I will make sure these problems are corrected and thank you for bringing them to our attention. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 26 January 2011

Based on the reviews, I was expecting much less. But, it's fine. What do people expect from a low cost, budget hotel in a mid-sized city? The room has some miles on it, but is clean and comfortable enough. It doesn't have the big flat screen, or cushy pillow top bed that nicer hotels have, but you're not paying for that.

Two notes for people who might care about these things:
1. The free wireless Internet can be sloooowww. Or maybe it's just where my room is.
2. If you care about a fitness center, this might not be your place. Two old treadmills, an eliptical and a recumbant bike, all crammed in to this tiny space. Fortunately, the weather in Sacramento usually allows for outdoor exercise.

If someone else is paying, maybe you'll want to stay someplace else. If it's coming out of your wallet, this place is fine.

(I marked "would not recommend." It's fine, but "recommend" is a little strong)

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and comments during your stay. Our Hotel Ownership and Management is currently working to improve our Guest Experience at our Hotel and we will be making numerous changes to serve you better. We have recently upgraded our wireless internet services to provide a better signal and have a 24 hour technical support in case any problems occur and will continue to monitor it daily. We have also just ordered new fitness equipment and are scheduling to remodel our fitness room shortly adding the new equipment when completed. We invite you to be sure to come back and check out all of our new changes over the upcoming months as we are very excited and we are sure our guests will be too.

Reviewed 15 January 2011

Got an amazing deal on hotwire for $49 so I was not expecting much when I arrived. The location is a little far from downtown but within walking distance. Lots of places to eat around and plenty of museums, including one across the street. Check-in was easy and I requested a king room, which was given to me. Marielle, the clerk, explained the free internet procedure as well as the complimentary breakfast.
Upon exiting the elevator, I noticed a strange smell (the reason for the average score in cleanliness but the only example) in which I found a couple of employees drying the hall carpet on the second floor. Luckily, I was the last room down the hall and the odor was not present in my room. Average king size room with comfy big chair/ottoman, desk, micro and fridge. The bed was nice, soft and the sheeting looked new.
The best thing about this room was the bathroom. HUGE! Probably larger than my guest bathroom at home. Something you would see in a resort, not a hotel. Great products, including bath gel with the hint of cinnamon.
Since it has been awhile since I have stayed at HI Express, I did notice that their scrambled eggs are much better. No longer do you need to salt and pepper them, they taste great. The bacon was crisp, the coffee was fresh and of course the cinnamon rolls were fantastic.
I did use the workout room, which at first looks small, but with the size of the hotel, it is not. I used the eliptical machine which ran well. The gym also included 2 treadmills and a sitting bike. I feel management might want to include a couple of free weights, and a sit up mat to make it better.
With the other comments, yes the location is not ideal. I did feel safe walking around but I would not suggest to at 2am, or any other part of this city either.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business

Wow, thank you for all of your kind comments and descriptions of your hotel stay. I am very pleased that you had a great experience and was able to report them to Trip Advisor for other guests to see what you experienced. Over the next few months we will continue to make changes throughout the hotel to improve our entire Guest Experience. Please be sure to come back and see all the new changes we have been working on to serve you better.

Reviewed 7 November 2010

I was horrified to read poor review about this hotel. But I paid $52 per night using Hotwire and I thought the hotel was great. Complementary breakfast and newspaper were unheard of among my colleagues who stayed at Hyatt near by. They were envious. I traveled alone but they gave me a large room with a spacious bathroom. I'm not a fussy traveler and I was pretty busy with my conference obligation during the day, and I didn't drive. They maintained my room clean everyday and staff was friendly. Although I have to agree with some reviewers about the need for updating their furnishing. I thought I time traveled to the mid 80s. But $52 per night?! I have no regrets.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our Hotel on your recent experience. We are glad to not only see that you had a great experience but that your friends were envious of your stay with us and what we had to offer compared to their hotel. Being that we do have free wireless internet, free parking, and free breakfast along with other strong points we continue to strive to improve our Guests' Experience. We are always continuing to go above and beyond for our Guests and we are going to be making many more improvements over the upcoming months that our reoccurring Guests have already noticed and love. These changes are taking place throughout the entire hotel from Guest Rooms to our Fitness Room Facility that will continue make our Hotel not only the best location but the best place to stay in Downtown Sacramento. Please come back soon and see the many changes that are taking place.

General Manger

Reviewed 24 October 2010

Got this on Priceline, which will teach me to never bid 2.5* downtown Sacramento again. Unpleasant chemical smell (to cover up cigarette smoke?) in the hallway and my room on second floor. During my stay, someone knocked on my door. Before I could get up from my chair to answer they unlocked the door and attempted to enter. Fortunately I had the mechanical lever engaged and they could not get in. Totally unacceptable. Entire property surrounded by fence which makes you wonder about personal safety. Yuk. Stay away. You can do much better.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank vagabond_biker

We are not too sure what chemical smell you are referring to or if another Guest was smoking in their room during your stay which is why you may have smelled someone’s smoke. We are a non-smoking hotel and a guest may have been smoking in another room near your room. I think our Housekeeping Staff might have sprayed some air freshener to eliminate the smell from a Guest that may have smoked in their room, I am unsure but will continue to investigate.

I apologize if someone may have mistaken your room with theirs but as indicated they were unable to get in. Each room is special keyed for special security not allowing two rooms to have the same key and I am sure they may have tried to get in thinking their key was not working on their room, but as indicated they could not. Again I am sorry for this inconvenience.

I also want to put your mind at ease about the iron fence surrounding out property that is in place to add extra security for our Hotel Guests and for looks. Our Hotel is in Downtown Sacramento which can be busy as any other Metropolitan City where this fence is in place to ensure we limit the access to our Parking Lot and Hotel to non-guests, once again with added security in mind for all our guests. I can think of numerous other hotels in downtown that do not have this added security feature and I know Guests that have mentioned they are very happy we do have it in place for them. I am sorry that the fence gave you a bad impression, but we have it in place for added security for all our Hotel Guests.

I hope you will give us another try and feel free to contact me if you have any further comments or suggestions as we are always looking to improve to serve our guests better. Be sure to come back and see the changes that we have been busy making with more to come very soon.

Reviewed 5 October 2010

In all my years of travel I have never once written a review on a hotel. However I am so disgusted by how I was treated at this place that I feel I MUST write this.

First of all, they state that they have complimentary parking. Yeah Sure!! It’s only free if you’re lucky enough to find a spot. Otherwise just go fend for yourself in the seedy neighborhood surrounding it. I came back my first night from a pre wedding event and drove around for a good 15 minutes, even in the near by other motel’s parking lot. However after hoping desperately to find a spot I found nothing at all. I felt so uncomfortable having to park far off in some random area (which I wasn’t event sure was a proper spot) and the entire night I was so worried my car was going to get towed by the time I woke up. Had there been some alternative paid parking I would have gladly done that for peace of mind, however there was none available.

I called down to the front desk and complained about this and was told not to worry about it. I told them that I didn’t want to stay anymore because I couldn’t keep doing this for the next few nights! I was going to be attending wedding festivities and I wanted to feel comfortable that I would be able to find some sort of parking upon my return. The guy at the front desk told me that Holiday Inn Express had a policy where I could cancel the remainder of my stay and get a full refund on the remaining days. I said great, this is exactly what I want to do.

The next morning I called down and asked the front desk numerous times if I could still do this. I told them I did not want to stay any longer and wanted to cancel my reservation completely. I was assured many times that this was fine as long as I left by a reasonable time.

At around noon I called down again to say that I was leaving early, and asked whether I should I come down to the main lobby to check out. I was told again that this was fine! Again I told then that I wanted to cancel my remaining 2 days completely and not get charged anything extra than the one night that I stayed. Again I was assured that was fine. Since I have never had a problem checking out over the phone before, I believed what I was told and left the hotel for another place where I had a much more comfortable stay.
Unfortunately the hotel did not stay true to their word and charged me anyway for the extra two days. When I tried repeatedly to get my money back ($200), they refused to do so. Jason Duemmell, the General Manager was extremely rude and kept saying that no one remembered saying that it was OK for me to leave early and that I should have come down to check out properly in person. He also said that initially since I had told them that a friend would be joining me the following day they took that as me not cancelling completely (even though I said 100 times I wanted to cancel completely). And then finally he said “oh you took too long to tell us.” So basically, which excuse is it? It hadn’t even been a month! And I told him I been moving and therefore unable to check my account, so was this all my fault? Am I supposed to check my credit card statements immediately every time I stay at a hotel or else pay up for nights I did not even stay!?

I don’t understand how difficult it is to comprehend a customer saying “please cancel my reservations completely! I do not want to stay here, nor do I want to get charged anything extra”. And had they told me when I asked to come down I would gladly have done so! I would never just walk out of a hotel early and not make sure I was checked out properly! Clearly if their staff that gave me the wrong advice they are not going to admit it, and as a result I the customer must suffer the consequence. I have always been so careful when it comes to these things, and now unfortunately it has gotten to the point where a hotel like this can completely deny any wrong doing on their part and instead blame their customer.
All I wanted was to have my money refunded as I had been assured numerous times that I would be fine. However they have completely shattered my trust. Furthermore, their corporate headquarters refused to do anything when I contacted them. All they would do is forward my complaint to Mr. Jason Duemmell, when clearly he was anything but helpful in my situation.

Anyway, even despite me wasting a total of $300 on this hotel I would still not recommend this dump of a Holiday Inn Express, especially if you plan to have a car while staying here. You will be so frustrated with their parking situation (which they told me I should have expected at such a location). Well you know what, I later stayed somewhere else for the remaining few nights and I was perfectly fine with their parking. And if it’s expected that there may not be parking, DON’T SAY YOU PROVIDE FREE PARKING!!

This hotel and their manager are so full of excuses, one after another! I have never had such a horrible experience at any other hotel, however after this experience I don’t feel I will ever be comfortable staying at such a place. Horrible horrible horrible experience!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo