“the best little hotel”

Ranked #30 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Charleston, South Carolina
“the best little hotel”
Reviewed 7 December 2012

the staff were wonderful from the front desk to the ladies that served a wonderful breakfest the room was great....and if it wasnt raining i could tell it was a nice place to take a walk and enjoy the sites of sac. it was a quick trip...had to take the train. It was worth staying at this hotel and pay the 10 dollar taxi fare...then staying at the tacky hotel near the train station

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, 21 December 2012
Thank you for the positive review and I agree, we have a wonderful staff. Please come back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
UK
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I've never had to write a review like this. Firstly the rate at which it was booked was preposterous at 132usd. It's worth 50 max. I have stayed in many many holiday inn expresses and the all are simple yet clean. This is the exception.

The staff although courteous were informal. The check in was fine where priority membership perks although appreciated were handed over the counter... Guys it's a nice gesture but travelers tend to have their hands full and the room s already allocated... Put it in there!

Reception is fine, but on exiting the 3rd floor a musty smell is evident. No matter, the room may be ok I think to myself. No. The room is worse, it positively stinks of a musty scent with a hint of urine near the door. The roach scuttling out under the door was reminiscent of 5usd hostels in Asia.

I spent 5 minutes debating staying. And left. My decision was fortified sharing the lift with a kart load of trash and its lovely essence.

In fairness the staff refunded quickly and didn't really seem surprised I was leaving.

To out this in context I do backpack and in have stayed in better hostels in for 5usd. Seriously. The smell actually reminded me of a very specific hostel in thailand. This does not warrant the holiday inn name.

I marked average for sleep quality. I didn't sleep there but the beds seemed nice enough. If you can get over the scent you'd probably sleep ok.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Paulo82UK
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, 23 November 2012
We are sorry you decided to leave so quickly after arriving. We did investigate your complaints about odor and bugs and found no supporting evidence. The guests that stayed in that room the same day after you left were completely satisfied with their entire stay. We found after surveying Priority Club members that most of them preferred the personal touch of receiving the welcome gift during the check-in process. We hope you were able to find accommodations that you were happy with.
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I really would like to leave a better score, as the hotel staff was helpful during our stay; however, I simply cannot. I'm a frequent Holiday Inn customer, and my baseline expectation for each stay is simply to have a clean and fresh room. Although cleanliness was not an issue, the musty odor throughout the hotel was a bit much. Upon check out, my wife and I noticed that all of our clothes (especially the jackets, which were left out of our bags overnight) strongly smelled of must. The odor was noticeable throughout the day in the car, and the jackets had to be dry cleaned. Although this hotel has been updated in accordance with the new HI Express requirements, their "refresh" seems to be merely a coverup. Once you exit the lobby area (which is nice) the age of the building really shows; getting rid of the age old may actually require new furniture upholstery and carpets, because the odor is just unacceptable!
On a separate note, it bothers me when non-smoking hotels fail to enforce the smoking policy. I realize you can't blame the hotel entirely for what other customers do, but the night manager has a degree of culpability for what happens inside the hotel during their shift. While looking for a soda machine, I walked two separate floors of the hotel on which I was overcome with the smell of smoke. C'mon management; you guys have to be aware people are smoking in your hotel - it's your job to enforce the policy (cigarettes or otherwise) - don't subject your customers or their children to an unhealthy environment!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Advisor58
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Thank you for reviewing our hotel, we value all feedback.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Just returned from 3 nights at the Holiday Inn Express on G and 16th in Sacramento to attend a special event in the area. Since we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Hanover, Maryland two weeks ago visiting family, we couldn't resist comparing the two properties. Same brand should be similar quality and features? We stayed in room 4019. Nice view from there, of G Street, with the big trees.

We were comfortable at the Sacramento facility, noting that the property was dated (popcorn ceilings, beat-up elevators, non-current flooring, etc.) and it seemed a little long in the tooth but we don't have any major complaints. One of the things we always appreciate are interior corridors and elevators.

The hotel does not have a pool (guests can use the one next door at the Clarion) but it has a fitness center. It does have the standard HIE amenities such as the continental breakfast, with yogurt and cereal and hard-boiled eggs and bagels/toast/muffins, as well as the pancake-making machine. It was identical to the set up we found in Hanover, MD recently, except the staff wasn't keeping the eggs/bacon/biscuit/gravy (warm food) supply up to date. Had to come back later in the morning twice, to get some eggs. We liked the seating in the breakfast area. Very pleasant and bright and roomy.

Our King bed was comfortable, as were the *soft and firm* pillows. They are labeled. What we didn't like about the sleep was that there was a lock-off to next door and there was a very loud family next door which woke us up at 5:30am. We didn't blame the family as tiny children make lots of noise. The insulation was bad though. Not much sleep that night. We could hear every word.

Our bath area (counter-space) was very large, which we appreciate. Bathtub was oddly situated (like an after-thought). The HIE showerhead is great --- you can adjust them to almost any water-delivery.

We did not have a microwave but did have a small fridge. TV was a 32-inch flatscreen (Panasonic) with ample selections. Lighting was decent but the mirrors were moreso. Two in the bathroom and a couple out in the bedroom. Sure helps getting ready, with two people.

I did walk across the floor (carpet) in bare feet and it felt greasy and dirty (it's one of those carpets where you can't see any dirt) so immediately put my sandals back on.

Wireless worked fine (we need that!) but one of the two phones was broken. I reported it and they were going to replace it when we left. The other thing we always need is parking. We had two cars and they had plenty of space.

The place appears tired and it's near some rather cheap-o motels, within two blocks, but it's also near some decent restaurants (loved Original Pete's on 20th and J) and the old Music Circus (I guess they still have theater) and the Convention Center. Walkable to some. It was a bit bothersome that there were no snacks (vending machine) of any kind in the hotel so I had to walk to a little convenience store on G and 14th to even get some nuts to munch on or a variety of sodas. I don't even remember the last time I stayed in a hotel where there was no candy/nut/chip vending machine. Desk clerk confirmed there are none.

I remember the old Mansion Inn (next door --- now the Clarion) in its heyday, when the Governor's Mansion was occupied by the head of State, so this block just seemed to have seen better days lately. Not Motel 6 level (review below) but unfortunately not up to the level of the HIE we just stayed at, outside Baltimore.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
We appreciate you putting allot of thought and time in writing your survey about our hotel and glad you found it comfortable. Please come back again soon.
Reviewed 12 October 2012 via mobile

Dirty rooms. Very disappointed. Comparable to motel 6. We checked in and out within ten minuets. I would not recommend staying here. Carpets are way dirty and worn as well. There are nicer motels with good values in the same area of Sacramento.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Chad H
We are Sorry you were disappointed with our rooms & felt you had to check out so quickly. Our rooms constantly receive high scores for cleanliness, not sure what happened with yours, the issue will be investigated. I can assure you that we are so much better than Motel 6 on every level.
Oroville
Reviewed 27 September 2012

i was given a room on the 3rd floor, located right behind the main elevator and stairwell. Room 3005, in the room, you could hear the elevator boom as it locked onto each floor. you could also hear the door slam shut from the stairwell all the way from the lobby to the top floor as well.

This particular room was not completely remodeled, the floor in the bathroom was redone, but, it was not set properly.

the room was huge, but lacked seating, the bathtub/shower was old and dirty, water pressure was horrible, the toilet was not secured to the floor properly, they used metal sling type toilet paper holders like they use in old public restrooms, the carpet was a nasty old style brown striped color, and the ceilings done in the old style acoustic popcorn ceilings.

upon entering this room, I noticed one bad thing, which city inspectors would have pitched a fit! over! their were wires hanging from the ceiling where the smoke alarm had been missing! I had to go to the front desk to let them know.

I asked housekeeping if i could look into a room of equal size and bed type that i was staying in, so she showed me, I had noticed that the carpets were different, newer, the walls were newer wallpaper, the ceilings newer, the bathroom much better shape with new faucets and not ones that have clear prism style plastic handles from the early 80's. the room also had a larger flat screen tv that was in my room, and it also had the new 3 port plug in on the nightstand, which my room did not have, so i knew then that my room had not been updated, but i was not going to complain, because this was my second trip to this hotel, and the last time i complained resulted in me getting 1 lousy return visit for a 3 night stay in which i had problems all 3 nights!

on top of it all, when i went to put my food into the mini fridge, it smelled like pizza from a previous guest! how often do they clean these things, makes me feel rather grossed out.

besides this, the hotel is okay, the pool i will never visit, as i found out, it is located next door in the Clarion hotels courtyard, which is very stupid.

the morning complimentary breakfast buffet is okay, sometimes they people who keep it filled are a little slow, but they tend to do a good job, they could use a little variety on their choices, alternating between sausage patties one day, and then bacon the next day, switching back and forth each day is a little boring.. but with their great cinnamon rolls, choices of toasting options like breads, english muffins and bagels, also other items as well as yogurts, milk, hard boiled eggs, milk, cereals, and several juices, coffee and tea...

if you travel to this hotel, make sure you check your room, and if it doesn't have what is listed on their website.. tell them you want a new room, and IF YOU USE THE INTERNET?? make sure you check your wifi signal, because several of the rooms have dead signal spots such as room 2022 and 4046.

Room Tip: Check to make sure your room has all the amenities that are stated on their website and other locati...