Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center
US$161
US$146
Hotwire.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewshi expressgovernor's mansionfront deskmusic circuscinnamon rollsyogurtwithin walking distancedowntown locationthe breakfast arearoom was comfortable and cleanfree breakfastwould stay here againhousekeeping staffmini fridgeamtrak stationsacramento areanoel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

I really hate giving a hotel a bad review, I myself work at a hotel and I know how devastating it can be but this place deserves it. The front desk staff were pleasant and apologetic but the rooms were disgraceful. A 1/4 inch of dust under the glass top dresser, urine and pubic hair sprinkled on the toilet. The rooms were bad enough on their own however when you throw in loud drunks screaming at1am when we had to get up at 2:45am, a broken ice machine, and a very seedy location in together it makes for one unsatisfied guest. I will never stay at another holiday inn express..

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank shadow138
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2012

We are sorry you were not satisfied with your stay. Our rooms are not disgraceful and the cleanliness of the rooms are not what you described. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay and look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 8 December 2012

This hotel is on the borderline of downtown Sacramento in a neighborhood area. What I liked about this hotel is that the staff go out of their way to please. They are helpful, allow early check-in and late check out, accommodate your every need and go out of their way to please.
They are friendly and professional. I found my room to be very nice size, very clean and with no offensive odors. It was quiet at night and the bed was very comfortable. The housekeeping did a good job of cleaning and restocking every day and it felt like home. The fitness center was small but the equipment was new and in good condition. There were fresh towels and bottled water stocked always inside. The breakfast was very good, with a good mixture of protein and carbohydrates, yogurt, eggs, cereal, pancakes, juices, milk, etc. Something for everyone! I only wished for more fruit since they only had bananas.
The walk around the downtown area is all very close with many choices for restaurants, Starbucks, fast-food, etc all within walking distance. Being solo, I felt very safe in this hotel and they do a good job of safety with their card system and gates around the property.
My only "complaint" was that the mini refrigerator in my room was way too cold with no way to turn it down and it froze all my food. When I mentioned it to the front desk on my way out, they didn't apologize or seem too concerned or act like they were going to fix it for the next guest. I will definitely return to this property when I return to the Sacramento area which is often.

Room Tip: Top floor if you don't want to hear the people above you, plus the view is pretty. Stay away from elevators and stairs where the doors slam shut after people use them.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Great review and much appreciated. Thank you and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 7 December 2012

the staff were wonderful from the front desk to the ladies that served a wonderful breakfest the room was great....and if it wasnt raining i could tell it was a nice place to take a walk and enjoy the sites of sac. it was a quick trip...had to take the train. It was worth staying at this hotel and pay the 10 dollar taxi fare...then staying at the tacky hotel near the train station

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo

Thank you for the positive review and I agree, we have a wonderful staff. Please come back again soon.

Reviewed 14 November 2012

I've never had to write a review like this. Firstly the rate at which it was booked was preposterous at 132usd. It's worth 50 max. I have stayed in many many holiday inn expresses and the all are simple yet clean. This is the exception.

The staff although courteous were informal. The check in was fine where priority membership perks although appreciated were handed over the counter... Guys it's a nice gesture but travelers tend to have their hands full and the room s already allocated... Put it in there!

Reception is fine, but on exiting the 3rd floor a musty smell is evident. No matter, the room may be ok I think to myself. No. The room is worse, it positively stinks of a musty scent with a hint of urine near the door. The roach scuttling out under the door was reminiscent of 5usd hostels in Asia.

I spent 5 minutes debating staying. And left. My decision was fortified sharing the lift with a kart load of trash and its lovely essence.

In fairness the staff refunded quickly and didn't really seem surprised I was leaving.

To out this in context I do backpack and in have stayed in better hostels in for 5usd. Seriously. The smell actually reminded me of a very specific hostel in thailand. This does not warrant the holiday inn name.

I marked average for sleep quality. I didn't sleep there but the beds seemed nice enough. If you can get over the scent you'd probably sleep ok.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Paulo82UK
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2012

We are sorry you decided to leave so quickly after arriving. We did investigate your complaints about odor and bugs and found no supporting evidence. The guests that stayed in that room the same day after you left were completely satisfied with their entire stay. We found after surveying Priority Club members that most of them preferred the personal touch of receiving the welcome gift during the check-in process. We hope you were able to find accommodations that you were happy with.

Reviewed 1 November 2012

I really would like to leave a better score, as the hotel staff was helpful during our stay; however, I simply cannot. I'm a frequent Holiday Inn customer, and my baseline expectation for each stay is simply to have a clean and fresh room. Although cleanliness was not an issue, the musty odor throughout the hotel was a bit much. Upon check out, my wife and I noticed that all of our clothes (especially the jackets, which were left out of our bags overnight) strongly smelled of must. The odor was noticeable throughout the day in the car, and the jackets had to be dry cleaned. Although this hotel has been updated in accordance with the new HI Express requirements, their "refresh" seems to be merely a coverup. Once you exit the lobby area (which is nice) the age of the building really shows; getting rid of the age old may actually require new furniture upholstery and carpets, because the odor is just unacceptable!
On a separate note, it bothers me when non-smoking hotels fail to enforce the smoking policy. I realize you can't blame the hotel entirely for what other customers do, but the night manager has a degree of culpability for what happens inside the hotel during their shift. While looking for a soda machine, I walked two separate floors of the hotel on which I was overcome with the smell of smoke. C'mon management; you guys have to be aware people are smoking in your hotel - it's your job to enforce the policy (cigarettes or otherwise) - don't subject your customers or their children to an unhealthy environment!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Advisor58
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, we value all feedback.