“Excellent location in downtown sacramento”

Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center
Ranked #30 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Arvada, Colorado
“Excellent location in downtown sacramento”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

This is not the average Holiday inn Express hotel. Its very large with a convention center attached. It has a decent restaurant and is close to many others. The proximity to Old Sacramento and the new downtown mall make it a great location.

Room Tip: The higher the better in regards to the views.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Thank you for the great review and pointing out our great location.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
chicago, IL
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I stayed one night at this location after winning a bid on Priceline. It was farther from downtown than I wanted, however, the location makes up for it with A LOT of great nearby restaurants and bars. The hotel is located on a busy street, but I didn't hear any street noise. Check-in was ok. The hotel has a lobby business center and a great work out gym. On site parking is a plus, but instead I walked from the Greyhound station in 110 degree weather (A really bad idea). My room was clean and comfortable, however, the AC vent wasn't closed correctly. Luckily, I was able to fix it myself. My only complaint was the fact that I could hear the room above me. Given the fact that I was completely exhausted, I slept VERY well. The bathroom was very well lit and I enjoyed the shower. Breakfast was great. Selection of items was great. Coffee was good. I walked to a nearby CVS to purchase water and milk for the next day. Would be great if hotels gave out bottles of water because I'm not always sure about the local water. My room also had a great recycle bin so there was no worry about the plastic bottles. Not sure I would return if in the area only because of the out of "downtown" location.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
strat1, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us.
Fresno CA
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Stayed her a night after taking Amtrak in and going out on another Amtrak train the next day. We walked about a mile from the Amtrak station to the hotel. I don’t recommend it on a June afternoon, but it was doable for my son and me. It was a Saturday, and there was not much activity on the street.
After a quick, friendly, check in, I walked around the neighborhood to the north. There were abandoned buildings, and the area looked a bit rough, so we did not go far in that direction. We walked around toward the Capitol looking for a place to eat, and there are a few places.
Next morning, we left early and did not get to check out the breakfast, so I can’t comment on it.
Overall, I liked this place. The common areas were all very nice and welcoming. The room was spacious. The window faced the street (the Wells Fargo Pavilion is across the street), and we had some intermittent noise from folks interacting loudly. But not a problem. I couldn’t get the thermostat to work on the air unit, so we just left the fan in the on position and were comfortable. The desk chair had an arm which was unscrewed and unstable, but we didn’t use the chair anyway.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
strat1, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. It is a nice walk from the train station except when its 100 outside. Being across from the Wells Fargo Pavilion is great especially during the summer Music Circus series of shows.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 June 2013 via mobile

Really great location within walking distance to the Capital, Convention center, and many restaurants. Rooms are reasonably updated and very clean. Comfortable beds and my room had a microwave and fridge. Free breakfast is great and is till 9:30 which is late by hotel standards. The only thing I would needs improving is that the AC made a loud thud noise every time it turned off. Not enough to waken you at night but during the day it can be annoying.

• Stayed June 2013
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and enjoyed our close proximity to many downtown highlights. You will be happy to hear we have resolved the loud thud noise in the AC. We hope to see you again soon.
New Iberia
Reviewed 2 June 2013

This is an older hotel but it was clean and the room was a nice size. The front desk was helpful. We had no problems and would stay here again. The location was great...eating places are within walking distance, which is what we did.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank librajr
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
Thank you for the positive review and please come back soon.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 29 May 2013

As soon as I walked in the room, it was like walking into a room full of musky moldy old room that hasnt been aired out in months. I opened the window and turned the air condition on to attempt to clean out the smell of the musky odor. I was sneezing and my nose was running until I left the hotel.

The bathroom is like a flashback to the 90's and was dirty and outdated. This hotel needs a major reno. The location was perfect for my work and the breakfast was not healthy by any means.

I will be running back to the Hyatt accross the street from the capitol when I visit Sacramento.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and found the room unsatisfactory. I assure you our rooms are not moldy or dirty. Please feel free to contact the hotel and ask for the General Manager to discuss this further.
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

This hotel is the best kept secret in Sacramento. By far one of the best hotel values I have ever come across. I try to stay here every time I'm in Sacramento on business. It doesn't look fancy from the outside but the lobby, rooms, hallways and breakfast room are very nice and new. The rooms are sparkling clean. You can't beat the downtown location..restraunts, bars and a Starbucks are near by. The service at the front desk is world class. Kudos to the staff and management for what I consider one of the best businesspersons hotel in California.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank srwolffy
strat1, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
We love your review and greatly appreciate you sharing your experience with Tripadvisor. We hope to see you back here real soon.