“DISAPPOINTED”

Ranked #41 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Klamath Falls, OR
“DISAPPOINTED”
Reviewed 6 September 2010

I was eagerly looking forward to our trip to Sacramento. When we arrived, the hotel was mobbed with folks (it is a very large, sprawling facility). I had booked a "suite" and said I definitely needed an elevator (bad knees and back). I was assigned to the "hinterlands" building which had (guess) NO ELEVATOR! Since we were really tired, we just accepted the insult and carried our luggage up into a HOT interior hallway (98 deg. out). Rooms had great AC however. Our room was a regular 2 queen bed room with a table, micro, frig, counter with empty drawers, older TV, accent chair with stained, holy ottoman and a small vanity and bathroom. The tub had a cigarette burn (please, people, when it says Non-smoking, don't smoke). Breakfast bar area was overwhelmed with people but there was an assortment of powdered, scrambled eggs, dried out sausage, juice, coffee, french toast, bagels, fruit, yogurt, etc. Not great quality but sufficed. Our trip would have been much, much better if this hotel had lived up its webpage reputation.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sunlemming

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
U S A
Reviewed 18 August 2010

My family and I are so happy we stayed here. We had a HUGE 2 bedroom suite for less than $100 a night and a free breakfast buffet each day of our stay. Our little doggie was welcomed with open arms and only $25 extra for our enitre stay, not per night. The air conditionerin both bedrooms and livingroom was pleasent and quiet. And when we asked for extra towels and pillow cases they were brought to our room within 15 min. Each bedroom had its own seperate bathroom with bathtub and shower and nice size closet space. Full kitchen with dishwasher, stove, fridge, oven, and dishes etc. Not only will we be staying here again then next time we are in the area but we will be refering our friends and family to it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 7 July 2010

In April I booked a 2 bedroom suite and reserved a conference room for 2 business associates that were coming into town. I was looking for a hotel that had a central location, suites with a kitchen (since they were staying for a week), decent meeting facilities, and a reasonable price. Hawthorne Suites caught my attention based on price alone, and I booked the room and conference room after driving down to take a look at the property.

Let me begin the review by saying, you get what you pay for. There is a reason this hotel was half the price of comparable hotels in the Sacramento area, and why the cost of the entire business trip was probably 1/3 of the cost we would have paid for identical accommodations and meeting room access at another local hotel. It would be unfair to rate this hotel like it was a 4 or 5 star hotel. However, taking the price and hotel rating into consideration, our experience couldn't have been better.

The breakfast buffet was great, hotel staff were great, the free shuttle from the airport and driver were great (the driver even offered to drive my colleagues in the evening), and there was even a complimentary happy hour (free beer and wine) during the week.

Reviewing the hotel itself, the grounds were attractive and clean, and the conference room was just what we needed. The 2 bedroom suite was VERY spacious and had all necessary amenities, but the décor was a little dated. The ONLY issue to note was a slight odor in the room (it was probably a smoking room at one point), but in all fairness we didn't request another room or bring this up with the hotel since it was a minor issue for my colleagues.

Location was excellent, being one of the closest hotels to the airport and probably a 3 minute drive to the river, downtown, and Old Sacramento. For those of you that are not familiar with the area, it is more of an industrial area that now has about a dozen hotels because of the convenient location. I could see where some families might be a little uncomfortable, especially if you expected to walk around in the area (which there would be no need to), but the hotel grounds felt very safe and there were 2 close restaurants (a diner, and seafood restaurant) right across the street.

All in all, this isn't a high-end hotel in an attractive neighborhood or business district (and I believe it is no longer a Wyndham property), but for those that are budget conscience, looking for value, and looking for a hotel near downtown or close to the airport, this is probably the best hotel for the price in Sacramento.

Mark

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Turlock, California
Reviewed 11 June 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and it was great. The rooms are spacious and all rooms have microwave and fridge in them. The bed was very comfy also. In the morning they have a full buffett breakfast with lots of choices. Front desk people were nice and friendly. We had a great carefree time.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Central Coast, California
Reviewed 7 May 2010

I spent 2 nights, 3 days at the Hawthorn Suites during a business trip to Sac. In fact, my business meetings took place at the hotel. Keep in mind, this is only a 2 1/2 star hotel and at this level (particularly considering the reasonable price), it did not disappoint. Our two business lunches (Day 1 and Day 2) were catered by the hotel. The food they served was plentiful, fresh and of good quality (the fresh garden salad salad and sandwich selection, in particular). I wasn't crazy about the cheese enchiladas or refriend beans but the brownies are great and the coffee is better than average! My bed was very comfortable and my room was roomy and quiet at night. The internet connection was slow in my room (whether wired or wireless) but adequately fast in the lobby/lounge area and free! There wasn't much in the way of toiletries provided so I'm glad I brought my own! (Might I suggest suitearrival.com - they will pre-ship toiletries and snacks to your hotel for you and they'll be waiting for you when you arrive). Their weekday evening reception includes complimentary wine or beer. In the morning, between 6a & 9a, a complimentary breakfast buffet is served which includes scrambled eggs w/ melted cheddar cheese on top, plus sausage, and either biscuits & gravy or french toast. Also you can make toast in their toaster with either white or wheat bread or english muffins. I appreciate the fact that they also provide a selection of fresh fruit and fruit juice, peanut butter, and jam, and flavored cream for coffee. Across the street from the hotel are two restaurants that are good choices for dinner if you'd rather not shuttle it or walk into downtown or Old Town Sacramento. The Monterey Bay Canners Restaurant has a Happy Hour on weekdays that goes from 4pm - 6pm with good prices on a select number of appetizers. For dinner, try their Caesar Salad and Teriyaki Salmon. Very good!
I also appreciate the fact that the hotel provides complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport and also to/from downtown or Old Town Sacramento.
Overall, I was pleased with my stay and would be happy to come back and do this all over again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank cnewstro
South Lake Tahoe, ca
Reviewed 22 April 2010

Stayed the night to park and catch the early flight to Hawaii. Yucky spots on the pillow case. Also, a little disorganized on the info regarding parking our car long term. Had to pull teeth to get any info out of the front desk clerk. Definitely understaffed. Breakfast was powdered eggs, toast, cold cereal and bananas. Waited almost an hour at the Sac Airport for the shuttle upon our return from Hawaii, and then they didn't have room for everyone. We eventually squeezed everyone on with four kids sitting on laps. Next time I'll get the family up at 4am for the drive to the airport - missed zzzz's would be better than staying here again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Linda M
North Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 27 March 2010

Employees went out of way to make things great; rooms spacious with great beds; hot breakfast, free happy hour with food; very nice place for the money, as good as Hilton.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple