“Wonderful facility, staff and service!”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sacramento
Ranked #39 of 83 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed 15 November 2010

The staff went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure our event rooms were what we needed. The hotel rooms were very clean and spacious. The hotel itself is right off the highway, but there isn't much to do right around it. There are some restaurants, but not a lot of shopping. The breakfast buffet was always well stocked with lots of tasty options. Would recommend this hotel to anyone needing a luxurious and comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,227)

Reviewed 2 November 2010

My business partner and I stayed at the hotel for aprox 3 and half months. During our stay, there was loud parties going on, pot smoking and a group that almost burned down the hotel. We complained numerous times to Casey Maloney the Sales Manager and nothing was ever done. This hotel then kicked us out of the hotel, because they refused to put a hold on our credit card and kept our belongings. We had to call Sacramento Fair Housing and the Sacramento Sheriffs dept to go and pick up our belongings, because it is illegal to lock us out after being there for almost 4 months. Needless to say, we are now pursuing legal action against the hotel for damages.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank KS180
sachawthorn, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2010

Management is aware of this guests issue and we have been trying to resolve it with her. Without going into much detail, please know that the facts presented by the reviewer are not complete. If you are concerned about booking with us, please feel free to contact the General Manager and he will explain it further. Rest assured that this is being handled offline.

Reviewed 25 October 2010

The first thing we noticed upon our 10pm arrival was the large groups of teens standing on several balconies, drinking and listening to loud music. There were cars on jacks in the parking lot and a woman walking in the parking lot yelling to someone hanging out of a top floor window.

Overall, the grounds felt ratty and going in the room did not do much to improve the image. The dark carpets had at least a dozen noticeable stains, there were cigarette burns in several places and mold creeping out from behind the plastic wrap around shower wall.

We did travel with our dogs so, while I initially assumed that they save the least maintained rooms for pets, a stay at two other clean, maintained accommodations leads me to believe otherwise.

The breakfast buffet was well stocked but most of the hot food tasted horrible and cheap. We would not choose to stay at this hotel again and would not recommend it to others. I've seen comparable rooms at Motel 6 for half the price.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank digsysdinner
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I booked 2 Queen Bed Suite for my trip with my husband's family. There were 5 of us, and the description and pictures showed 2 Queen Size bed and a pull out couch in separate room. However, when we checked in the agent barely greeted us and gave us the smallest 2 Queen Size room. I checked the emergency map and noticed that we had the smallest room available. When I asked the front desk about it they stated it was the only room available at time of check-in. We checked in at 5pm, when check in is usually 4pm (so only 1 hour difference). Also we noticed that half the rooms on our floor was empty.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2010

I was eagerly looking forward to our trip to Sacramento. When we arrived, the hotel was mobbed with folks (it is a very large, sprawling facility). I had booked a "suite" and said I definitely needed an elevator (bad knees and back). I was assigned to the "hinterlands" building which had (guess) NO ELEVATOR! Since we were really tired, we just accepted the insult and carried our luggage up into a HOT interior hallway (98 deg. out). Rooms had great AC however. Our room was a regular 2 queen bed room with a table, micro, frig, counter with empty drawers, older TV, accent chair with stained, holy ottoman and a small vanity and bathroom. The tub had a cigarette burn (please, people, when it says Non-smoking, don't smoke). Breakfast bar area was overwhelmed with people but there was an assortment of powdered, scrambled eggs, dried out sausage, juice, coffee, french toast, bagels, fruit, yogurt, etc. Not great quality but sufficed. Our trip would have been much, much better if this hotel had lived up its webpage reputation.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sunlemming
Reviewed 18 August 2010

My family and I are so happy we stayed here. We had a HUGE 2 bedroom suite for less than $100 a night and a free breakfast buffet each day of our stay. Our little doggie was welcomed with open arms and only $25 extra for our enitre stay, not per night. The air conditionerin both bedrooms and livingroom was pleasent and quiet. And when we asked for extra towels and pillow cases they were brought to our room within 15 min. Each bedroom had its own seperate bathroom with bathtub and shower and nice size closet space. Full kitchen with dishwasher, stove, fridge, oven, and dishes etc. Not only will we be staying here again then next time we are in the area but we will be refering our friends and family to it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2010

In April I booked a 2 bedroom suite and reserved a conference room for 2 business associates that were coming into town. I was looking for a hotel that had a central location, suites with a kitchen (since they were staying for a week), decent meeting facilities, and a reasonable price. Hawthorne Suites caught my attention based on price alone, and I booked the room and conference room after driving down to take a look at the property.

Let me begin the review by saying, you get what you pay for. There is a reason this hotel was half the price of comparable hotels in the Sacramento area, and why the cost of the entire business trip was probably 1/3 of the cost we would have paid for identical accommodations and meeting room access at another local hotel. It would be unfair to rate this hotel like it was a 4 or 5 star hotel. However, taking the price and hotel rating into consideration, our experience couldn't have been better.

The breakfast buffet was great, hotel staff were great, the free shuttle from the airport and driver were great (the driver even offered to drive my colleagues in the evening), and there was even a complimentary happy hour (free beer and wine) during the week.

Reviewing the hotel itself, the grounds were attractive and clean, and the conference room was just what we needed. The 2 bedroom suite was VERY spacious and had all necessary amenities, but the décor was a little dated. The ONLY issue to note was a slight odor in the room (it was probably a smoking room at one point), but in all fairness we didn't request another room or bring this up with the hotel since it was a minor issue for my colleagues.

Location was excellent, being one of the closest hotels to the airport and probably a 3 minute drive to the river, downtown, and Old Sacramento. For those of you that are not familiar with the area, it is more of an industrial area that now has about a dozen hotels because of the convenient location. I could see where some families might be a little uncomfortable, especially if you expected to walk around in the area (which there would be no need to), but the hotel grounds felt very safe and there were 2 close restaurants (a diner, and seafood restaurant) right across the street.

All in all, this isn't a high-end hotel in an attractive neighborhood or business district (and I believe it is no longer a Wyndham property), but for those that are budget conscience, looking for value, and looking for a hotel near downtown or close to the airport, this is probably the best hotel for the price in Sacramento.

Mark