“pricey food”

Frank Fat's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Frank Fat's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 2,060 Restaurants in Sacramento
Price range: US$12 - US$35
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 8th
Reviewed 22 January 2014

It was Nickolas at hotel suggest this! Portions are way huge, quite pricey! I had remembered he say better than P F Chang, just have more than ten dollar! Any place me go, the hotel, family, work people, places I volunteer, me always ask if ten or eleven is enough!

I like the people speak Cantonese! However, cold day, the Chow Fun, a spicy variety thirteen before tax! That be $14.14 (give or take) with the tax! Chinese New Year, me probably eat at the P F Chang, or get snacks and water at the hotel!

Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

The food was excellent with flavours I have not experienced before. My taste buds were peaked. My only thought for improvement is to provide a more detail in the menu where possible. I like to know what sauce goes with the individual food choices. Tables very close. My feeling is some people would be annoyed with this.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We were huge fans of Fats downtown location. We've been coming here for years and always had stellar food -- which is not always the case at their suburban locations or at the PF Chang chain. However, this downtown restaurant had always had the best Chinese food in the area. Not anymore. Our first disappointment was back in February, when we came here on the 13th for an early Valentines Day dinner. The first disaster was the Pina Colada which was actually served spoiled. Something in it was rancid. We sent the drink back, and even the bartender agreed that something was "wrong" with the mix. Apparently they can't make a pina colada from scratch they have to do it from a pre-packaged mix, and are clueless when the mix is so old it has gone bad. Hmmmm. Off to a bad start.

This was followed by us asking if there was pork in a particular dish. The waiter told us there was, and we told him that we did not eat pork, so he suggested a different dish. So we were quite surprised when the recommended dish arrived with PORK in it.

We also ordered main dishes, one of which was supposed to be a "special." Weirdly when the "special" came out, it was exactly the same dish as the other we ordered, except that it was served in a different manner, but the dish was exactly the same. All this on top of INSANELY slow, slow service. Because we had never had a bad meal at Fats and because it was a busy holiday evening, we chalked our bad experience up to a one-time, overly-busy evening. It did however put us off from coming back for nearly 10 months (we used to eat here every month or two).

So we finally returned to Fats with our grandkids for another try. This meal was as dismal as the last. The first thing we ordered was the salt and pepper calamari. This used to be a lovely, very very lightly battered tender appetizer with just the right sprinkling of salt and pepper. What arrived this time was some sort of heavy, gloppy, greasy deep fried junk with no salt and pepper at all. Generic deep-fry batter. Ugh.

One of the grandkids ordered the fried chicken drummette. Again, same gloppy greasy generic deep-fry batter. The dish was absolutely nothing special whatsoever.

We also ordered the walnut shrimp. This is normally a favorite dish of ours. First thing the grandkids said upon tasting it was that "it's way too sweet." We figured, "typical kids, they're fussy." But as it turned out, they were correct. The shrimp was way too sweet, and my husband said that some of the shrimp he got weren't even cooked all the way through.

Next we ordered two noodle dishes. Our favorite noodle dish "Seafood Hong-Kong style noodles" has been taken off the menu and replaced with a dish that contains both pork and chicken. Since we do not eat pork, we asked them to make us the dish the old way, just with seafood. This was probably the best dish we got, although the noodles were not cooked very well with some of the noodles nearly burned and other parts of the noodles really soft and soggy. However, we still give this dish 4 stars compared to everything else that was pretty bad.

Also ordered the Malaysian noodles, which were just okay, nothing great. The kids ordered orange chicken which was absolutely dreadful. Again the heavy, heavy gloppy generic batter, over low-quality chicken bits, with large hunks of orange rind. The dish was truly uninspired.

The banana cream pie was still good. We paid a princely sum ($150.) for a very poor meal, and we waited a LONG time to get our main courses.

We will not be returning for a very long time, if ever at all. We understand the restaurant has been taken over by the grandkids. Do not know if this is true or a rumor, but the food has totally gone downhill in the past year. We don't know if they've lost their old head chef or if it's just new management, but this is not the same Fats that we used to love.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Always a great time at Frank Fats. We had the pot stickers as an appy and shared the honey walnut shrimp, immigrant beef, brandied fried chicken and vegetable fried rice. Chicken was only disappointment in that it was dry. Mai Tai were great as well as a shared banana cream pie for dessert. Waiter was excellent and one of the owner's Ken Fat, came by twice to check to say "hello" and check on our food. Classy! Atmosphere is a bit noisy and tables are close together but the decor takes you back to old time Chinese restaurant. We liked it

1  Thank stretchnj
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

We came to celebrate 70 years of FRANK FATS....and they did not disappoint! We enjoyed the special....Chinese chicken salad, perfect! House rice, perfect! Walnut prawns, perfect! Shrimp and chicken chow neon, perfect! Franks famous oyster New York steak, cooked to perfection! Top it off with a nice slice of Franks famous banana cream pie.... My oh my!!! Well worth the price of admission, and enough for lunch left over for the following day. If you've never been, go! I've been going since Frank was here himself. He would be happy they are carrying it on perfectly....I'm goin back real soon....

2  Thank Chicsedgewick