“Lively watering hole and meeting spot”

Riverside Clubhouse
Ranked #222 of 2,024 Restaurants in Sacramento
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I met a group of friends, ages ranging from 40 to 70, for a Saturday evening birthday dinner at this restaurant. We'd reserved a corner table early in the evening, as someone familiar with the place said it got busy quickly. She wasn't kidding---by 6 p.m. the place was roaring, especially around the bar in the front. It wasn't unpleasant---the crowd was mostly 30+ (think urban jazz and blues audience) and everyone was civil and friendly: but one of the older members of our group had hearing problems and had a difficult time following the conversation. There is a patio-like area towards the back with a cozy fireplace; I wish we had requested a table there, as it appeared to be more intimate and quiet. The menu is American steakhouse with some nouveau cuisine items: I ordered the pumpkin ravioli and a Fat Tire beer on tap. The glass of beer was huge (yay!) but the ravioli was not---I think I had six bite-size pieces on my plate, swathed in a creamy sauce. It was delicious, but for the $13 I paid, I would have liked a couple more ravioli. Since I was still hungry, I had to fill up on the bread brought to our table at the beginning of the meal. My tablemates had mixed reviews of their orders: the person who ordered the ahi tuna poke said it was too spicy and she couldn't finish it, while the couple who ordered the Clubhouse salad was very pleased with theirs. The fish and chips were called "average" and "okay." The Cubano sandwich was probably the best item on our table, though the friend who ordered it refused to share more than a few bites, lol. The birthday girl received a free dessert, a small dish of gelato. I thought it was fine, but the guest of honor thought it was too sweet and let the rest of the table finish it for her. Service was friendly, though it slowed down a bit as the restaurant got busier. A side note: parking was difficult to find near the restaurant. There is a small parking lot behind the Clubhouse, but that fills up very quickly. Riverside Boulevard has restricted parking up until 6 p.m. and the side street immediately adjacent to the Clubhouse has signs warning that parking is reserved for permit holders only. The online menu says customers can park in the Target lot after 5 p.m., which isn't a bad walk if the weather is pleasant. It was raining when we were done with dinner however, so one unfortunate "volunteer" was sent out to get the car and ferry the rest of us back to the parking lot. I'd like to come back, as I enjoyed our evening there: but I hope the portions for the other entrees are larger. There are many restaurants in the neighborhood where you get better value for your buck, though they might not be as romantic or cozy.

1  Thank sakura_senshi
There are newer reviews for Riverside Clubhouse

Reviewed 27 September 2012

My wife stopped in for happy hour with her friends after work, and brought home a Cubano for me! What a treat. A really nice traditional cuban with pulled pork, serrano ham, cheese and pickles. Nicely put together and very, very tasty! and the homemade potato chips were fantastic!

1  Thank george p
Reviewed 10 August 2012

The happy hour here is worth a visit. I've also had lunch here a couple of times and that was good as well. In the past I've sat in the patio, which is very relaxing with it's long waterfall wall. This time I was there with work colleagues for happy hour to celebrate a colleague's birthday. We were seated up front in one of the booths by the bar. (The bar area is usually pretty busy and noisy when the after work crowd arrives. So if you want to place to have a quiet conversation, move to the back patio!) The appetizers during happy hour are very good, hot wings with a spicy sauce, fried calamari, steak skewers, and sweet potato fries to name a few. The wait staff were attentive and checked frequently enough to be sure we were getting what we needed. They were also friendly and even took our photo for us and brought out cinnamon gelato for the birthday girl (with a candle too). Generous pours and happy hour drinks are mostly in the $4-6 range. Great place to hang out and chill after work.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

This little spot is a gem of a find. The crowd here are usually people who get off work to unwind and have a well deserved cocktail. This is a very modern style bar/restaurant with flat screen TVs playing the local games. Happy hour on Thursdays is always packed! This is not your young scene type of bar either, to me it's a young mature crowd where everyone is dressed pretty well and a lot of locals in midtown frequent often.

The food can be a bit pricy if it's not happy hour and I have noticed that their prices are going up. A word from experience, do not park on the residential street adjacent to the place. You will get a parking ticket because the street (Beverly) is for home owners only. Every time I walk to my car, I notice there are cars ticketed on that street because they do not live there. So park across the street in the small parking lot or along Riverside and walk.

This is a great spot if you want a low key place to have a much deserved drink after work. It's also great for a date to chat it up with a good atmosphere. Enjoy!

Reviewed 24 March 2012

Not much for the price. The amount of food is small, and while the food is good, I was hungry when I left.