“Horrible, DO NOT EAT HERE!”
Review of Hot & Spicy Cafe New Orleans - CLOSED

Hot & Spicy Cafe New Orleans
Price range: US$18 - US$18
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed 8 September 2008

I had been to Cafe New Orleans once before a few years ago and really enjoyed it so I wanted to take my husband there while we were back in town.

When we first got there, there was only one other couple in the whole restaurant. It took us almost ten minutes to be seated and another ten just to get our drinks ordered! The waiter was rude and curt and seemed irritated when we asked for more water.

The bread tasted like it was a few days old and the rest of the food was very, very bland.

The decor was tacky and the place was run down.

All in all, it was a terrible experience.

1  Thank AllieBunny
There are newer reviews for Hot & Spicy Cafe New Orleans

Reviewed 19 June 2008

I was in Sacramento last week with a group of work associates and we decided to go to Old Sacramento to have dinner before departing town. We first tried Joe's Crab house which had a 45 minute wait, so we walked around the area until we located the Hot and Spicy Cafe New Orleans. It looks decent from the outside, but once you enter it seems a bit seedy. Once seated I noticed the vinyl tablecloth and menu were a bit greasy. The waiter who took our order looked as if he had not slept or bathed in a few days. Anyway, we decided to stay , placed our orders and then proceeded to wait and wait and wait. Finally after about 40 minutes and some prodding of the waiter, we got our meals. This is where things got dicey. I personally thought the meal was below average, somewhat on par with prison food. However my associate was not as generous. He did not like the fact that his Jambalaya was watery and refused to pay. The waiter was very apologetic, but there was not much he could do. Anyway, we left hoping that we would not get sick on the flight back. That is how the meal felt in my stomach afterwards. I ended up not getting sick, but there is no way I would ever recommend this restaurant to anyone traveling to Sacramento.

Reviewed 28 April 2008

A restaurant that calls itself "Hot & Spicy" better very well live up to it's name. Unfortunately, Cafe New Orleans in Old Sacramento does not. The food was fair. It reminded me a little more of the "Cajun" food you would be served at a standard chain restaurant (think TGIFridays, Elephant Bar, Chilis...) I had the Jambalaya. It was certainly not "bad" - but it was nothing special. There was very little meat in it and the spice was very very tame. My husband's dish was so bland he actually had to salt it (you should never describe Cajun food as BLAND!). Again, it wasn't horrible - just not what one would hope for at a "New Orleans style" eatery.

Pass on this one - there are so many other options in the Old Town/Downtown area.

Reviewed 13 March 2006

Have lunch here, but just pass on dinner. My husband and I chose it for a birthday dinner. We arrived at about 8:30 p.m. on Saturday to find three large, intimidating security guards at the door. They wouldn't allow us in until we assured them we were going to the restaurant, not the club in the basement. Once we stepped inside it because apparent it was a big night in the club - deafening rock music rose from the basement, making conversation all but impossible. The dining room was nearly empty, and it was easy to see why.

We ordered and waited quite a long time for food, given there were only three tables with people in the whole place. My husband had gumbo, which was okay, and I ordered crawfish ettoufee. My dish arrived with barely warm sauce filled with cold crawfish, surrounding a cold ring of rice. It took another five minutes to attract the waiter, who took the dish back and promised to take care of it. It returned in another five minutes, warmer but obviously having been microwaved.

Not a good experience at all. We probably will not every return.

5  Thank mgg1234
Reviewed 13 June 2005

In my opinion, the Hot & Spicy Cafe New Orleans is the next best thing to being there. I visited on a Sunday evening and practically had the place to myself. The New Orleans-style decor is tasteful and refined, however, I'm unsure how the wall-sized mural of the Sutro baths fits into the scheme of things.

I ordered the chicken and sausage gumbo with a side of red beans and rice, and both arrived in large glass bowls with fresh toppings. Both were excellent, and I plan to return here before going back home. The mango iced tea was also a nice touch.

The wait staff was professional and attentive, and made for a delightful dining experience.

8  Thank DrRingDing