“Don't go to a seafood restaurant and expect good prime rib!”
Review of Monterey Bay Canners - CLOSED

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Lesson learned! . . . I took my son to THE MONTEREY BAY CANNERS to celebrate his 38th birthday as he was visiting the area to attend a business conference and this restaurant was near his motel. Even though it is a seafood restaurant, we both chose to order their "extra cut" prime rib. I ordered it medium rare and my son ordered his medium. Our order arrived in a timely manner but my meat was a tough thin end-cut and was at best, medium while my son's was a thick rare piece and was just warm at best. The side dishes were excellent, especially their clam chowder! However their liquid libations seemed "watered down". We were seated quickly and our server, Gisell, was cordial and efficient. We were not rushed and felt as though we could have stayed all evening to catch-up with our conversations. I would go back but would order seafood with a wine instead of beef and a "hard drink" next time.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

I do quite a bit of traveling, and I know that restaurants can differ from night to night, but some things are fairly constant. This is a mid-level restaurant, somewhat out of the downtown area, surrounded by motels. It's about on a par with chains like Applebees, Red Lobster, etc. I was with a conference group of ten. Thursday evening in mid-January, no reservation, got a table with no wait. Not terribly busy, but not empty. Place was clean, ambiance okay, nice table settings. Waitress came right away, brought menus, took drink orders then food orders, hot bread appeared, more when it was gone. Wine list pretty good, prices average. Two of us shared a bottle of not bad Petit Sirrah: $18. I had coconut shrimp: five or six large shrimp, salad, fries, all fine. Coffee nothing to write home about. I'd go back.

1  Thank ianjc
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We arrived in the area with high hopes for a good, fresh, fish dinner. On a Tuesday night, they had no fresh halibut or crab. Fresh choices were limited to tilapia, catfish, and snapper vera cruz. Service was good, but our waiter was doing double duty as bartender. The shrimp and fish and chips we ordered were about what we'd expect at Red Lobster, and prices were considerably higher. They had no beer on tap and the margarita seemed to come from a mix and was served over cubed ice in a water glass. A disappointment overall.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

This is a formerly nice restaurant many years ago which has gone down hill. We stayed at the Hawthorne Suites across the street as part of a park, sleep, fly, deal. We walked across the street and noticed that the Hungry Hunter was out of business, as well as the Rusty Duck. Both fenced in, but homeless encamped all over. There were several homeless in the parking lot of the Monterey also panhandling as we crossed the parking lot. We sat in the bar for appetizers and happy hour specials. The tables were sticky, the entire place smelled like the grease trap, the t.v.'s were old and kind of greenish in hue, and the carpet was dirty and held down with tape in parts. No beers on tap, and only two kinds of domestic beer for the happy hour.
We ordered Calimari and tacos. We didn't finish either one. They were terrible. Overall we felt like we needed to take a shower after we left. This place will go the way of the other two restaurants if it doesn't change it's ways quickly. I had been to this place several years ago and it was energetic, clean, and nice.

Reviewed 4 October 2011

Hotel reccomended and we were very pleased. Beer was cold, service flawless, food was great. Asked waiter if he knew if we could purchase some sourdough bread at the airport to take back to Tennessee with us. He asked which airline and said that the terminal we would be departing from did not have it available for purchase. He checked with the manager and they sold us some at their cost! Never expected this and we were quite impressed. GREAT place if you want casual dining, good food and awesome service.