“I love this concept”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I hadn't been to Sacramento in many years but had fondly remembered going to Jack's. Loved the cafeteria concept where you interact with the serving staff to tell them exactly how you want your food and love that you can get turkey carved off of a full roasted turkey. Restorative comfort food. Last night I had a generous serving of medium rare tri-tip and a serving of roasted squash with sauteed kale, onion and toasted almond slivers...all for 8.90 including tax. I was noticing other diners having those bleu cheese smothered fries and will try them next time. Yum!

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We went to the downtown restaurant and ended up going to another one 2 more times. Each time I had a salad but they also have sandwiches and side dishes. The first time I had a "make your own" salad. I ordered the half size and it was plenty of food. They make the salad in front of you. The next times I ordered a Chinese Chicken salad and then the Thai Prawn salad. The Prawns were cooked as the salad was made so you can see it is fresh. All 3 times we ate outside and the weather was great. One caution, the iced tea is Mango flavored and that came as a surprise.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

The line at lunch or dinner is always quite long and the popularity makes parking difficult. The food while reliable is a bit more expensive than you would suspect given how informal the place is. What I like is there are good options for a group including vegitarians and meat eaters. You can ask for more of this or less of that on the vegetables and side dishes. The food is good quality and more along the lines of "comfort food." I don't eat here much anymore due to the lines and parking but admit the menu has not changed much in 15 years so it seems boring to me now. The good part is that the staff is always friendly and helpful. Even though the location is near the railroad tracks they keep the dirty street people at bay somehow. The location off fair oaks blvd is smaller and less crowded so that is where I would go again.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

I'd give Jack's "very good" rating if the food wasn't so expensive. I always enjoy their salad and my favorite is their steak salad. The mashed potato and turkey are always my second choice. Again, the food is good but pricey.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

Good, fast service, good for takeout. Must say, my Hawaiian chicken sandwich was good but way to heavy on the mayonnaise. Good vegetables (seasonal) quite a busy place.

1  Thank Schrutefan08