“School Field Trip Stay”

Courtyard Sacramento Cal Expo
Ranked #9 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Stayed here overnight with my daughter's schoolmates on a field trip about 150 people of us. I can't say much about checking in and out since it was done by the school staff however when we arrived about 7-8 pm on a Wednesday night, everything went well. We didn't have to wait long at all, only had a little briefing at the lobby while they were passing out the room keys.

I chose the double occupancy, just my 9 y.o. and me, and was given a room on level 3 with 2 queen beds facing the inner courtyard. First impression when I first walked into the room was nice. It was actually better than expected. Yes, the carpet was navy blue however it was clean and well maintained. Nice size of flat screen TV, contemporary touch being added to the previously more traditional room. The A/C was a bit loud when it was on, but it was a cold night so we didn't really need it. The room was pretty quiet, maybe only a tiny bit of train noise on the background but it wasn't disturbing in my opinion. There was also a mini fridge in a room which was a plus but we didn't really use since we were only there overnight and had to check out the following early morning. The bed was quite comfortable, I had a good sleep especially after the super long day doing activities.

The bathroom was clean and well maintained. Nice size, fully stocked with plenty of towels and toiletries. Granite countertop and Paul Mitchell shampoos and conditioner caught me by surprise so I didn't get to use my own shampoo I brought from home. I was prepared :)

The pool was not heated, it was about 45-50F outside so my daughter with the rest of her 25 friends decided to "sabotage" the jacuzzi. That's probably why I didn't see any other guests that night on the pool deck, instead I saw them inside the gym that looked quite nice from the outside.

We had the breakfast buffet, I guess because we traveled with the group. It was a simple egg, sausage, bacon, pastries, toasts, cereal, milk and juice and hot beverages breakfast.

One hiccup was I bought a bag of chip from the small gift shop corner at the lobby, and it was already expired. So I went back and changed it to a good one.

I took one star off because Erika who answered the phone that Wednesday night was quite rude when I requested for wake up call as my backup alarm. I didn't even finish my first sentence, and she quickly cut me off and replied, "What time?!" sounded annoyed. I really tried to hold my tongue and let it slide. I answered, "6 am, please" then she replied, "You got it!". The next morning, I was waken up by my own alarm I set up at 5:45 am and started to get ready. 6 am passed and the room phone never rang until 6:45 am, 45 minutes later. Nice! After all that attitude...

This is not my typical hotel, and I'm not sure how much the nightly rate was, however it was overall a nice stay... Except for that rude lady.

Stayed: March 2013
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Sacramento Cal Expo

Reviewed 4 April 2013

We stayed here 1 night on our way to Palm Springs. Check in was very friendly, and questions were answered. The lobby was decorated very nicely. Our room smelled fresh, and was nice and clean! We did not use the pool or exercise room. There is no free breakfast, but sure would be nice if there was!

We would stay here again, and highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TobyJoeBurnaby_BC
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We frequently use this location for our employees who travel in and out of the area and also use their meeting facilities. We held our annual Manager's Meeting this month at this location and everyone was very friendly, courteous, professional and ABOVE ALL HONEST!!!!

One of our managers realized after she checked out and at the end of a very long meeting day that she had left her wedding rings in her room. Everyone from the housekeeper to the person behind the reservation desk were helpful and truly concerned......end result, they found her rings and they were just as happy as she was to find them. This location's employees represent Honesty is the best policy and is just one more reason among many, why we stay at Courtyard by Marriott Cal Expo.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Connie C
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I visit the Sacramento area often and have found this hotel a great place to stay. The rooms are comfortable and business friendly. The staff are aways friendly (their front desk clerk Moe is a joy to walk in and see. He remembers me and greets me by name. It makes the visit like walking in to your home living room and being greeted by family.) Any of the staff I've interacted with have been super friendly and accommodating. It is clear from interacting with staff that this friendly can-do attitude is modeled by management as they work with staff. The facility is well maintained and very clean. Flat screen tvs, heating and A/C that always works well, etc. The one time I did find a minor issue, the hotel maintenance person was there within 5 minutes, made the fix, and was gone. I will continue to choose and recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Marla B
Reviewed 28 February 2013

This Courtyard is very clean and has a very high end feel to it. I considered the rate very reasonable. Service staff very friendly. There is no free breakfast. But, after staying at 'free breakfast' places with very tight, cramped eating areas and constantly saying 'excuse me, I'm sorry' to everyone, it was almost a relief to eat in an open and spacious eating area.

I did not face the railroad the other reviewers mentioned, but I chose this location because was in a quiet location away the city.

I really liked this place.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Stayed one night in February while attending an event at the nearby Doubletree. Initially was afraid of noise that has been reported by other reviewers, but from our room only distant sounds of trains and traffic, so no issues (whew!). Room was clean, new, standard courtyard decor. Internet worked great. Having a frig was nice.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We arrived for a one night stay as a break for our road trip to Tahoe. The service was outstanding. The elevator was sketchy, though. When we arrived at our room we entered to the smell of cleaner. That didn't bother me. The room was nice and larger than expected. It was in good condition. As we were trying to sleep, we were awakened by the whistle of trains passing by and something clicking (I think the AC), which was quite annoying. The beds were on the hard side too, so we got less sleep than wanted. But the rest was fine, like the service, restaurant, and security. I probably would come back again, but only for a short time and if it was absolutely necessary.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family