“Great hotel by the freeway”

Courtyard Sacramento Cal Expo
Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Great hotel by the freeway”
Reviewed 22 October 2008

I recently stayed near Sacramento for 1 night with my partner, on our extended trip around Europe & the USA. It was the end of the summer season & quietening down a little, but we were still able to visit a lot of the surrounding areas, & enjoyed ourselves a great deal.

We booked our accommodation via the hotel website directly, & confirmed a place to stay for the duration of our holiday. On our arrival (via rental car), we discovered that the hotel was a large complex with several Marriott-type hotels at the same location. It was close to the Expo Centre, & there was an assortment of takeaway restaurants, gas stations & basic amenities just on the other side of the I80, past the Expo Centre. Our room (257) was really nice (it looked fairly standard), with a king-sized bed, couch, coffee table, large desk, wardrobe, TV with Sky, & air conditioning. We had a private bathroom with a shower over a smallish bath – the water pressure was good & there was plenty of hot water. The complex has free parking, free (wired) internet, a pool & spa, & a fitness room. There is also a lounge in the lobby, as well as a breakfast area, & a few vending machines for snack purchases. Breakfast is $10.99 for a buffet, I believe, although we did not try this. There is a fairly large lift, making this hotel also quite suitable for older people, & it would also suit large groups. There are conference facilities here too. The hotel is in very good shape & the service is excellent. Overall, we thought this hotel was of a high standard!

All in all, if you are after a great hotel with a few luxuries for your money, then this is the hotel for you. It’s close to a few amenities, is close to the freeway (but is not noisy) & is not expensive. If we are ever in the Sacramento area again we would definitely stay here. Thanks for an excellent stay!

• Liked — Everything was of a high standard
  • Disliked — There was not much around the hotel, although you could drive to many places in just a few minutes
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TeamBagpipe
eCommerceCoordinator, eCommerce Coordinator at Courtyard Sacramento Cal Expo, responded to this review, 20 November 2008
Dear toni.lister,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us during your extended trip around the USA! We truly appreciate your feedback and your time in completing the online review.

We are extremely delighted that you feel your stay with us and our service was excellent! What a great compliment coming from someone who has traveled so extensively. Our many amenities, comfortable accommodations and prime location are unbeatable! As you also mentioned, we have several key amenities that would suit large groups as well. Our elevator is very spacious and we do have over 5,000 square feet of flexible meeting/banquet space!

Again, thank you for all of your compliments in your review. We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Sacramento.

Happy Traveling!

Warm Regards,
eCommerce Coordinator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Martinez, California
Reviewed 14 September 2008

I was lodged at this hotel by my employer for a training seminar, and everything about the hotel was excellent.

My room was clean when I arrived, and was thoroughly cleaned daily during my two week stay. The entire rest of the property was absolutely spotless.

The only problem I had during my stay was that my room key card stopped working on two separate occasions, along with nearly everyone else on the first floor. The problem was remedied immediately, and became little more that a minor inconvenience.

Overall, a great place to stay.

• Liked — Very clean and bright.
  • Disliked — Nothing notable.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 3 September 2008

Great price and amenities, a stop over along our road trip. Surprised to see a brand new hotel. We went to old town mostly for kids vert cute, but it was really hot. Still it was nice to see the Capitol. Sac town served our purpose and we were pleasantly surprised to enjoy the city for to evening. we ate at Chili's for dinner and it was just around the corner. The hotel is perfect if your headed to the Expo Center. Also our room had a really nice little kitchenette, and the hotel provides laundry service if needed. Super comfy bed. Free internet access in the lobby. Very Clean Hotel. I would stay again, after a long day of driving it was just what we needed before heading up north. worth looking into.

• Liked — Cleanliness, cute room
  • Disliked — the pool was small
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Rescue, Ca.
Reviewed 1 September 2008

My wife and I stayed here one night as we went to a concert at the State Fair at Cal Expo and wanted to enjoy it and the fair without worrying about driving home to the foothills afterwards. Let me first say that the service was excellent. I was able to check in early at 1PM (my wife met me later) and take a nap as I work very early and wanted to have energy for the evening. At about 3.30 PM I headed down to the bar to get a beer and something light to eat as we were planning on having a VIB dinner at the concert. Service was quick and the food good. After meeting my wife we went out to enjoy our evening. When we got back around 11PM we had a drink and a snack at the bar and again we received excellent service. As for the room, it was clean and spacious and the king bed was very comfortable. My first complaint is that we were going to use the pool however even that late at night it was full of noisy children. I think a curfew is needed in a situation like that. My second complaint was that breakfast was very mediocre, which was surprising considering our experience the previous day. All round however this a good place to stay for the money, especially if you are attending a Cal Expo event. We were able to walk to and back from the fair through a back way away from traffic thanks to the excellent directions from our bartender. (She was great!) We would stay here again under similiar circumstances.

• Liked — The service and the room.
  • Disliked — The noisy pool.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed 18 August 2008

Hotel room is very clean. However, my room faced the rail road tract and b/c of that somewhat load. My only complaint was lack of free breakfast as this is included in other two Marriot properties in the complex.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Stockton, CA
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I wanted a hotel fairly close to the Sacramento airport as we had a 5:45 a.m. flight and live about an hour away. I looked at all the reviews on TripAdvisor and this location had a very good rating. Little did we know that I-5 would be closed from Hwy 50 north at that time! But the gentleman working the front desk when we checked in (Jesse) was very helpful in explaining how we could easily get to the Garden Hwy and from there connect to I-5 which was north of the construction zone. Thank you, Jesse!

Our room was very comfortable, including the king-size bed! The bathroom was very nice - roomy and well stocked.

When we explained to Jesse our need to rise early, he gave us a room away from a group of athletes who were staying there so we wouldn't be disturbed. We turned in early and asked for a 3:00 wake up call. We actually woke up at 3:15 and several minutes later the call came, but we had plenty of time at the airport, so it wasn't a problem.

I would definitely not hesitate to stay here again.

• Liked — Comfortable bed; right off the highway, but quiet; proximity to Sacramento airport
  • Disliked — Not a thing!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
nor cal
Reviewed 21 July 2008

My family stayed in the this hotel for almost a week, and thought it was WONDERFUL and look forward to coming back to stay again! We paid between $109-$135 night and thought it was a great deal because most the nights included breakfast and the details in the room made it feel like a high end hotel. Rooms included comfy beds/pillows, nice furniture, free wi-fi, good size refigerators and clean, modern bathrooms. While the hallways and lobby would lead you to believe it was just your average hotel, the amenities and friendliness of staff was outstanding and equal to service you receive at high end ($$$) hotels. They also offered complimentary magazines in the lobby, all parking was close to rooms and hotel is located near shopping, restaraunts, movies and Cal Expo. The only somewhat negative comment I would make is that pool is right next to parking lot, but you didn't really notice that during the day because parking lots so quite ... but during evening hours made sure my girls swam only with adults present. Other then that highly, highly recommended and will definately stay here again!

• Liked — Luxury Details in the Rooms
  • Disliked — Pool located next to parking lot
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family