“Poor housekeeping and lousy Internet make for a disappointing stay”

Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Airport Natomas
Ranked #24 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Quebec, Canada
“Poor housekeeping and lousy Internet make for a disappointing stay”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I was not going to write a review about this place but this morning, I kind of feel obligated to. You see, 24 hours after my stay at the Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Airport Natomas earlier this month, I received an online guest satisfaction survey from IHG (InterContinental Hotels Group) and simply deleted that email as I did not have the time nor the inclination to fill out their survey. Two days after that, I received a separate email thanking me for my stay there. How sweet! A week later (that would be today), I'm receiving another automated email from them asking me to fill out the same survey. Isn't it pretty obvious that if you do not respond the first time around, chances are you won't respond the second (and third) time either? I call this constant barrage of emails pestering. Anyway, this time I clicked the "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of their survey email and I sincerely hope I'll be left in peace from now on. I have a serious problem when hotels (and other businesses) start harassing their own customers.
Now on to my stay proper. I must state first of all that I paid $160 plus tax for a one-night stay at this property, which is pretty outrageous for a basic airport-style motel. The other well rated properties in the area (the Homewood Suites, the Hilton Garden Inn and the Hampton Inn) were all in the same price range the night I stayed there (why, I still can't figure out), so I decided I might as well pick the best rated one.
Upon entering the room, I noticed that the bedding looked rumpled, almost as if housekeeping had just made the bed for someone already staying in the room. There were what looked like cookie crumbs all over the desk and there were two rolls of nearly empty toilet paper in the bathroom with no extra (new) roll.
I had some work to do the night I was there and although I was able to easily access their wireless Internet, the connection was painfully slow and downloading even the smallest of files (like a 30k Word file) seemed to take 20 to 30 seconds each time. I called reception and explained the problem, and the young man on the phone was excellent in responding to my complaint. He called their Internet provider and called me back a few minutes later to explain that their was nothing unusual or wrong with the Internet that night. We compared our respective download and upload speeds, and I could clearly see that his speed was decent and mine (0.16 Mbps download/0.17 Mbps upload) was dismal. He then suggested I use their in-room cable connection instead, which I did, unfortunately with no significant improvement in the speed. I gave up working altogether that night and went to bed quite frustrated.
I must admit that their staff is super nice and helpful, but to me the poor housekeeping (I did not mention this issue to the front desk clerk because I checked in after 9 PM and figured no one could fix my room that late in the night) and the unusable Internet made me regret my choice. And those unsollicited emails became the icing on the cake, which explains why I'm writing this review today. $183.11 including tax for all this aggravation - there are better options out there, I'm definitely never returning here.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Airport Natomas, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear marxusboy,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our front desk.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding housekeeping and the internet connection. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Gridley
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Had the pleasure of using this facility for a meeting last weekend and the service was incredible. Front desk manager Cindy was wonderful and so personable. We used their meeting room and were very comfortable for the entire evening.
Our rooms were wonderful and clean and just immaculate. Enjoyed a delicious breakfast the next morning and really appreciated the earliness of their breakfast as we had to be gone to another event at 0630. The 0600 breakfast really fit our schedule well. Thanks for everything!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 April 2013

This hotel is directly off of I-5, right next to several amenities, just four miles or so north of downtown, and, perhaps best of all, within walking distance of the Sacramento Kings arena. It is extremely clean and comfortable. We spent just one nigh here (to watch the Lakers play the Kings) and were able to get a quick bite at In'N'Out (right near the hotel), walk to the game (and avoid having to pay for parking or traffic hassles exiting/entering the arena), and walk back to the hotel at the end of the night without incident. Breakfast was just fine, as they had my staples: oatmeal, yogurt, fresh fruit and coffee.

As a runner, I was easily able to run about a 5-mile distance in the bike lanes or shoulders of the wide roads. Of course, I'm sure traffic was mitigated by the fact that it was a Sunday morning, but I'm sure it'd be just fine on other days as well.

Overall, I highly recommend this property, especially if you are coming in town for an event at what used to be ARCO Arena.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark F
Fortuna, California
Reviewed 22 March 2013

This hotel is right off I-5 and yet didn't hear any freeway noise. The lobby is large and beautiful with the breakfast area right there also, with a large TV. Breakfast was nice, would have liked to know the omlette had peppers before I chose it though. There were different hot choices each day we were there (2 days). I highly recommend the 'french toast.' It was a bread choice and I popped it in the toaster and added jelly and it was wonderful. It was available both days.
Our room was nicely decorated and had a choice of firm or soft pillows already there. There was a constant fan/air noise from some kind of ventilation in the bathroom. Not sure what that was about. The bed was soft, but not too soft; and the refrigerator and micro were hidden in a lovely cabinet.
Check out was quick and smooth even though we paid with a different card than the one given at check in (to avaid a hold on our debit card).
Many choices of restaurants nearby including: Ihop, Denny's, Sizzler, KFC/A&W, Panda Express (with a drive-thru), Taco Bell, Weinerschnitzel. Nearby is a Safeway with a gas station and Jamba Juice. Fabulous coffee in that same center is 'It's a Grind.' I enjoyed a blended chunky monkey w/ fresh banana, and an iced mint mocha (it's famous?).

Room Tip: Pool is on the south west end of the property.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelinSportsMommy
Reviewed 22 March 2013

This is one of the newer HIE sites. As a platinum member going on 10 years, this is one of their nicer sites. Lots of restaurants near by and proximity to airport is helpful. Hotel is off of the main road so relatively quiet - enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Arthur A
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

We needed hotel near airport for 1 night due to early morning flight. This hotel is newer construction quiet and clean. There are plenty of dining options around both fast food and sit down. Grocery store across the street. It is only a few exits from airport heading away from city so I can't imagine there would be any traffic issues.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank nottarts23
canada
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Very nice, new rooms, nicely decorated. Good desk and chair. Very clean rooms. Free Wifi and parking.Friendly and fast check in and out. Would definitely stay here again. Didn't try out the pool or spa.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple