“Great hotel with crappy parking”

Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park
Ranked #1 of 80 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sacramento, California
“Great hotel with crappy parking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip to Sacramento, one of my favorite cities. The hotel is a tall nondescript building at the eastern edge of downtown. But I was pleasantly surprised by how bright, warm and pleasant the lobby and my room was. All the staff I interacted with were exceptionally friendly and helpful. I loved my one bedroom suite. It was very well designed and comfortable. You could hear hallway noise in the living area, but once you were in the bedroom it was quiet, dark (with the curtains closed), with a comfortable quiet heating system and a great bed. Breakfast was good for a free breakfast and included lots of options and better quality foods than a best western/holiday inn. I would have had a fabulous stay if it wasn't for the parking situation. Parking is $17/night which is both too expensive for the hotel's location and waaaay too expensive for what you get. The hotel's parking spaces are on 3 of the top four floors of a 13 floor (7 main floors, 6 sub-floors) parking garage located next to the hotel. From the hotel, there's a sharp left turn and then to get into the lot an immediate turn right into a narrow opening against a tall concrete wall. It's a strange and difficult setup and I badly scraped the side of my rental car in the process. From the looks of that wall and the curb across from it, I'm not the only one to have trouble--there was lots of car paint, scratch marks, and crumbling concrete from other hotel guests. Then, guests are only allowed to park at the top so there's a long drive up which I fond frustrating as the garage is largely empty in the evenings. All of the spots were full except the top roofless level every time I tried to park (at 9pm, noon and 6pm). And because of the specific area leased by the hotel, none of the parking is both near the elevator and under a roof. Once you check into the hotel, you can use your key to access the garage from K St, between 15 and 16th. This is a typical garage entrance (and the only exit). It's a shame, because if they put a rubber bumper on the garage entrance and either dropped the price or leased lower floors, I would've loved this place. As it stands, I would recommend it if you don't have a car (although there are many hotels with a better walking location) or if you just need parking for the night and can park on the street. I'm pretty sure it's cheaper to park in that garage if you drive in the main entrance instead of dealing with the hotel so that's another option. For me, the stress of damaging a rental car was a distraction from my trip and makes it hard to rate this hotel highly.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
smoranvi, General Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park, responded to this review, 1 November 2011
Thank you for your review! Your comments are very important to us and we always share them with them team. I understand the concern and challenges with the parking for our hotel, since the hotel does not own the garage we are limited on the options however we are looking at ways to improve this service to include the possibility of bringing back Valet Parking, but we want to be sure we do it right so if we add this service it will most likely be in January. We were delighted to hear that you do enjoy our hotel and we hope to see you when you return in the future.

Thank you for your feedback, and we hope you have safe travels!

Shelly Moranville

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

My husband is a Marriott's reward member and we had to use our free certificate before it expired. We decided to book downtown just for the evening. This is a great location...we did not pay for parking because it is free after 6pm on the street and we did a late check in and early check out.

Our 1 bedroom suite with king bed was great. It had a full kitchen (with two stove burners) and a large stainless steel fridge. We were only there for the night, but this place would be great for an extended stay. The lobby staff was friendly and you are within walking distance to a lot of great restaurants.

The room has a small dining table and a desk...is was set up very nicely and was very clean.
Breakfast the next morning was fairly decent, although they could have improved on the traffic flow with food item condiments placed in various locations.

You can rent bikes in the lobby (we did not) and it also sits atop the Three Fires Lounge. My husband's beer was 4$ and my wine was 6$....not bad for a premium location.

I will recommend this to my out of towners on business...it's a great fit!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Tomball, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

Check in was very pleasant, staff was extremely helpful although not very knowledgeable about the local area which really surprised me. I asked about a few attractions including
The horse and carriage ride but she knew nothing about this!

Breakfast was good, nice selection.

The rooms were of a nice size. I just loved the kitchen area even though we did not use it, it's nice to have that option. The rooms were very clean, modern and well maintained. Although the bed was very hard and difficult to sleep on.

Parking was just $17 per day which gave you in and out privledges.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
smoranvi, General Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park, responded to this review, 9 October 2011
Thank you so much for your review and feedback. I agree the one bedrooms are great rooms. The privacy of the bedroom and the additional tv, along with the kitchen make these very comfortable rooms to stay in when you are away from home. We do have a few new front desk team members; we will definately make it a priority to focus on the teams knowledge of the local area. It is certainly important for the team to be able to recommend activities in the area.

We look forward to having you stay with us again, when you visit Sacramento in the future.

Merced, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

Stayed here last month. Idealy located in downtown Sacramento, next doors to the convention center and a few minutes from attractions such as Old Sacramento and Arden Faire Mall. Large rooms with modern fittings, a comfy bed and a flat screen TV. Room was neat and clean. The free breakfast was plentiful with a good selection of hot and cold items. The only minor gripe is that you have to self-park in the garage next doors as the valet service is not there any more. I will recommend this place for a business/leisure visit with family.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Oroville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

This hotel was great!!! Within view of sacramento convention center which made it really easy. We were checked in by Benjamin, the front desk supervisor, he was the nicest and most helpful front desk staff we've ever experienced. Breakfast was INCREDIBLE.... it far exceeded our highest expectations. Checkout was a breeze and all the staff was very nice. You could hear the patrons at the bar next door hollering here and there on friday and saturday night but as long as your not a really light sleeper it wont bother you.... overall a great experience and we will return every time we go to sacramento.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the corner of L and 15th may be quieter (due to nightlife in the area)
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
smoranvi, General Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park, responded to this review, 7 October 2011
I was delighted to hear about your experience! We are very fortunate to have a well trained staff that really puts guest satisfaction first. I will be sure to share your comments with the team so we can continue to celebrate their accomplishments.

We look forward to seeing you next time you are in Sacramento!

Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed for 3 nights. My expereince is what I had hoped for, Marriott did not surprise me. The staff was wonderful, the room (with separate living room/kitchen area) was perfect for our meetings. When we needed, towels, ice, extra chairs- no problem.
The only issue was the separate parking structure that had to connection to the hotel. But it was well lite. They do charge $17/day to park which I thought was high.
I would recommend the location and would stay there again,

Room Tip: the actually bedroom is small our kingsize bed filled every inch but the bed was great and very comf...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a convention for 5 days. I had a suite here that was reasonably priced that included a full kitchen, 40" flat screen TV, living room and the room included basic free wifi access and breakfast daily. The rooms are very clean and I had requested a room that did not face the nightclub as per other travelers reviews of this hotel due to noise from the club across the street. I had a room that faced the pool on the 11th floor and it was quiet except for a skirmish that occurred with a couple of drunk girls that got into a fight in the hallway at 2am and then pulled the fire alarm. Had to travel down 11 flights of stairs and the fire company came and investigated and the alarm was pulled by one of the girls. The hotel is within easy walking distance to the convention center and many area restaurants. The downtown area is clean and felt safe during the day. Never really traveled around at night since I was by myself. The basic Wifi access is very slow so you would need to upgrade to a fee for service wifi if you need fast internet. The breakfasts were great with choices of scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage, egg mcmuffins, make your own waffles with toppings, variety of fruits, yogurt, bagelsl, juices and coffee. I would highly recommend staying here to anyone that may be looking to stay in the downtown area of Sacramento.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool much quieter
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
smoranvi, General Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park, responded to this review, 28 September 2011
Thank you for your review! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am also excited to share that our internet woes will be resolved shortly. The hotel is working to upgrade our internet speeds and provide these new speeds across the board to our guests for free. Again, thank you and we hope to see you next time you are in Sacramento.