“Not my favorite Residence Inn”

Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park
Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Not my favorite Residence Inn”
Reviewed 3 July 2012

As a Marriott Reward Platinum member you are supposed to be entitled to an automatic upgrade (when available). When I asked about this at the front desk I was told that my rate (I was with a group) did not qualify me for the upgrade. OK, I can accept that and checked into my studio. The rooms are fine but on the small size for a Residence Inn where the logo is “spread out”. There is entirely too much large furniture in the room making the space feel crowded. The closet is so narrow I could not close it without crushing my clothes, and forget about storing luggage.

The desk staff was very, very friendly with the exception of a manager who when asked a question about accommodating a simple request got very defensive and said something like “at your rate, you people will have to deal with that yourself”. You people? The entire time I was there the place was filled with large groups. Do they not want our business? I’ve only been spoken to like this one other time at a hotel, when I booked through Priceline and they seemed to resent the rate. I’ve stayed at various Marriott properties through business or leisure over 60 night so far this year - this experience did not warm me to this brand.

Other than that, decent enough property and close to the lovely Capital Park.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank lilysdads
, General Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback although I was very dissapointed to read your review. I am saddened that any of my team would use this phrase and I will definately talk with my managers and supervisors to ensure this is corrected immeditaely and other do not feel the way you did! I do hope next time you are in Sacramento you will give us another try so we can demonstrate this was a one time thing and not the normal occurance.

Thank you again for your gift of feedback!

Shelly Moranville

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Redwood City, California
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We were in town for a volleyball tournament at the Convention Center. We had stayed near the Expo Center at the beginning of the season and decided we wanted to be closer when we knew for sure we were playing at the Convention Center.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. The check-in process was very smooth. The parking was a little strange (parking garage next door), but we knew we were not going to need the car over our two day stay. The staff also allowed us to keep the car there even after we checked out. That was VERY HELPFUL.
The continental breakfast is one of the best we have experienced during the volleyball season. We stayed in quite a few hotels this past season. The breakfast was WONDERFUL!! So many options ... hot and cold. The breakfast staff was AMAZING!! They were constantly moving and keeping things full, taking away trash, etc.
We were in a one bedroom suite ... very nice accommodations!! The full kitchen was a plus!! We highly recommend this hotel!!! We will definitely stay here again if we end up in Sacramento next season.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Danielle G
Merced California
Reviewed 30 June 2012

The hotel is situated ideally for business travelers needing access to nearly every State office in Sacramento. It is clean, and has a good breakfast and lounge. The staff are friendly and helpful; but.....on Friday and Saturday nights, the night clubs surrounding the hotel are packed (a good thing) until closing. From about 1:00 AM until 2:30 AM, there was too much yelling, on the street adjacent to the hotels. It is all fun for thoise involved; but, for jhose trying to sleep it is very distracting. We had a corner room (paid extra for view of the park) - and the corner is the worst place to be for the noise. Lesson learned - find another hotel for weekend stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
California
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I've stayed here twice for events at the Sacramento Convention Center. The first time, with two friends, we had a full-suite (two bedrooms, 2 baths, living area, kitchen) and it was perfect for us. This time, with my husband, I had what I think must be a "junior suite"--bed and living area and kitchenette. There's a desk and a small dining table. It is so much more comfortable than a plain hotel room and having a full-sized refrigerator, a real coffee maker, a microwave and stove was so handy! If you don't want to cook or re-heat, the Cafeteria 15L is right across the street, and the Garage is next door. The hotel lounge is pretty nice, too, and not crazy expensive (for wine at least). The easy access to the Convention Center is just icing on the cake! This is the only place I'll stay for future conventions and meetings in Sacramento.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park. It's quite a pretty view through the trees.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Chicago, IL, USA
Reviewed 19 June 2012 via mobile

The hotel is an ideal location if you have business downtown or at the Capitol. Rooms are decent and average sized but the beds were uncomfortable and the linens (towels and sheets) were old and rough.

• Stayed February 2012
smoranvi, General Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Thank you for your review. I agree we have a perfect location in the city, the view of Capitol Park, the restaurants and night clubs in walking distance make it easy for our guests to get around without alot of effort. Regarding the sheets and towels, we noticed this as well and just last month we changed the company we use for our linen and we purchased several cases of brand new sheets and towels; out with the old and in with the new!! So sorry you did not get to experience the new stuff, but certainly if you retrun you will notice the difference.

Again, thanks for sharing your feedback and we hope to see you again soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I stayed here for a week in May/June and it was well above my expectations. Every member of the staff from the front desk to the bar to the housekeepers are helpful, positive, smiley, and really seem to want to help you and make your experience great. This is rare to be consistent across the board and for an extended period of time!

I've worked in hotels and restaurants my entire life and I have to say I have been so impressed by a staff as a whole while I was here. The hotel is in a great location, lots of activity around, easy to walk to places, it's clean and comfortable! The employees want you to feel comfortable. Every question I had, every request I made, was met above and beyond my expectations and with a smile. Stay here!

Room Tip: I was offered to change to a higher room and didn't take it, but if you stay on the second floor...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
smoranvi, General Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Thank you so very much for your review, I don't think I could agree with you more! As the General Manager here I am so very proud of our entire staff and the care they give our guests. I can tell you each one of them takes great pride in our hotel and making sure our guests feel safe and comfortable while away from home. I am truly fortunate to be surrounded by so many good people! I will promise to share your comments with the entire team at our daily huddle!

We hope to see you again soon!

Fort Bragg
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Every year we come to Sacramento to attend the Convention of Jehovah's Witnesses at the Convention Center, we stay here. The location to the Convention center can't be beat. Almost right across the street. The rooms are very clean, well maintained and spacious. Having the kitchen is very handy. Great hot breakfast. Staff is extremely kind and accomidating.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family