Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park
Ranked #1 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 July 2013

No valet parking. Booked this hotel because of the pool, the pool was FREEZING even though I was told it was heated. Partying till 2 am in the restaurant across the street....complete with police involvement. Woke up to no light in the bathroom. Such a disappointing stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank JLQuiring
smoranvi, General Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

My apologies for your experience at our hotel. As you can see from the many reviews listed on TripAdvisor this is not the normal experience. I do understand your frustrations around the parking and we are looking at valet as an option for our hotel. The pool was a unforeseen mechanical failure; our engineering team is aware the pool heater broke and the part is on order, we expect it will be fixed Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.

Downtown can be a noisy place no question but nothing beats the location and proximity to so many great restaurants, bars and the capitol.

We do hope you will return in the future and give us an opportunity to show this is not a normal experience. Hopefully you will be able to return to Tripadvisor and provide and alternate review.

Thank you for your comments.

Shelly Moranville

Reviewed 15 July 2013

We were mid road trip on a long trip from Victoria BC to Disney and we were looking forward to a nicer place to rest up for the final leg of our trip.....not so much.

First it started with our room--second floor above the entrance of the hotel, possibly the worse room in the hotel??? I sure hope they were full to be allocating that suite! It was dark and loud from the saturday night activity.

We then decided to make a quick dinner. However, the cook top took over 30 mins to boil a big pot of water for the pasta. Moving on, we went to the pool, where groups were enjoying their weekend libations. Not the sort of crowd I expected in a hotel like this but it was interesting. The pool, while quite lovely to look at was FREEZING and it made my kids teeth chatter so I opted to stay dry.

Terrible room locations and cold pool aside, I was still looking forward to a comfy bed and some space from the kids when I was woken up repeatedly from parties. So often and so much so, I couldn't tell if it was the outside street noise or inside. Finally at 5am, I looked outside and realized the streets were empty and called the desk to see about a party down the hall. THey advised they would kick the party out....which they did...and they disbursed into the hallway outside our room to reconfigure their plans. No use in going to sleep by this point.

I will say this. The breakfast was superior. Also the clerk at check out seem genuinly sorry for our trouble and offered to comp our parking, which while appreciated, I would have preferred the hotel removed the partiers well before 5am.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. If you want quiet, request swimming pool view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer L
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Let me start with a disclosure... I don't mean to knock the Residence Inn brand with my review. I think I may be comparing this to other Residence Inn's that I have stayed at.

I have to say that I don't usually stay at a Residence Inn unless its absolutely required. I only stay at Residence Inn's for work meetings where I am required to stay there. I just find it odd to stay somewhere for 1 or 2 nights and have a full kitchen. For this trip, it was the most conveniently located Marriott brand hotel where I needed to be the next day. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown. This place is nicer than some Marriott's that I have stayed at recently. It is VERY clean, new, and within walking distance to great restaurants. The bed was absolutely comfortable as well. This place is so clean that I was even compelled to pop some popcorn during a movie I was watching, which I never do.

The parking situation is weird here. You pull in, get out, check in, go back to the car, go through an alley and park on the 5th floor of the garage. When you walk back through the alley be prepared to walk by the dumpsters. It would almost be easier to charge the guest more for parking and hire a valet to take care of the parking situation.

I had not realize that breakfast was served until 9am. I went down there at about 9:15 and 2 employees were putting everything away. I thought it was odd but no one said anything, not even a greeting. I grabbed a yogurt (only thing left) and a coffee then walked by a sign that said they served breakfast until 9am. I really wished that the employees putting things away had told me that they served breakfast until 9am. I felt awkward after I saw the sign, so I quickly ate my yogurt and left with my coffee. Could have been nice if they would have told me this at check in too.

Overall, I would return to this hotel again if I had immediate business downtown. If you are traveling with family, staying for extended periods of time, or really just like some room to stretch out this place is for you! I almost wish this place would get rid of the kitchens (which is why some may choose a residence inn) make some upgrades and re-brand it's self as a traditional Marriott or even a Renaissance. I'm sure there's a reason why it's a Residence Inn but t his could make sense with more businesses moving to the Sacramento area and the Kings moving downtown (if it ever happens). It has such a great location that I would make more of an attempt to stay here if it were such, regardless of doing business downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the State Capitol, if not ask for a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I am a business traveler and this hotel has many of the aspects that I want as a business traveler.

Here is my list:

<<Room Features>>
Is the room usable? Yes, the room was laid out well and everything was accessible and usable.

Is the room clean? Yes, it was clean and the maid service cleaned it well every day.

Can I control the airflow in the room? Yes. This is important to me because I like to sleep with the air fan on high (I like the background noise and it drums out surrounding room and street noises).

Do the "appliances" work? Yes, the iron and the refrigerator both worked. Didn't use the stove.

Does the sink have a stopper? NO! This is an issue for me since I travel very light and wash underclothes and socks in the sink to have them available clean later in the week. It is a pain to wash clothes in a sink without a stopper. Also, I prefer to shave with water in the sink.

<<Quiet>>
Was it quiet inside of my room? Yes, this is very important to me, since I want to either work or sleep in my room. I had no noise issues.

<<Internet>>
Does the internet work in a reasonable way? Not really. The wireless in this hotel is very poor. They really need to give it an update. In a business-oriented hotel, there is no excuse for poor wireless. The wired (ethernet connection) in the room did work very well (but you would have to sit at the desk to use it)! I docked them one star in my rating because of the Internet.

<<Exercise Room>>
Is there an exercise room? Yes, on the second floor.

Is there decent cardio equipment that works? Yes, there were 4 treadmills and two elliptical machines. I used the elliptical and they were in in good shape.

<<Biz Center>>
Is there is a place to print out boarding passes and other documents? Yes

Is the machine an old Windows 2000 machine with a dot matrix printer? They had a Windows 7 machine with a fast Dell printer. I was pleased.

<<Food>>
Is there breakfast? Yes, standard Residence Inn breakfasts.

Are there restaurants near by that deliver? Not really. But there are restaurants close enough by that you can walk to. I prefer delivery since I am usually beat by the time I get back to the hotel.

<<Summary>>
Overall a good business hotel, but they definitely need to fix the wireless problems. Also, one note, my ATT iPhone had one bar of service in this hotel. I don't blame the hotel for that, but keep it in mind if you plan to do any business calls. I had several calls drop on me! Because of the telecom issues, I would probably try a different hotel the next time I come visit my Sacramento client.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Recently my family had the opportunity to stay at the Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park. We found the rooms to be exceptionally clean and the service was great. The entire staff displayed a very courteous attitude. A special thank you to two staff members that I feel went the 'extra mile' for us to make our stay memorable, Esperanza and Timmie. We appreciated your kind service at the front desk. Everyone really made a nice impression on us and we will definitely return to that Residence Inn.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We were fortunate enough to be gifted a suite on the night of our Wedding and things couldn't be more fantastic! Dominique and Tim at the front desk are so very nice and helpful! They made us feel truly welcome on our special night. Our room is impeccable and the bed so comfortable. The hot tub is nice and hot, not tepid like inferior places. After tonight, we want to stay at the residence inn whenever we travel!

Room Tip: We got a room that overlooked the hot tub! It was nice to be able to check the window to see if the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2013

My husband, grandson and I stayed here for three nights and really enjoyed it. The staff is excellent, especially Tom at the Front Desk, who welcomed us and remembered us. The housekeeping staff did a great job, too.The lobby is lovely, our room was clean, very nicely furnished, and comfortable. We had a Studio, which was a bit cramped for three people, and next time we'd go for a one-bedroom. The breakfast was well above average, with a very good selection of cold and cooked foods, and the breakfast room was large, light, and pleasant, in contrast to most other hotels/motels. The breakfast staff were friendly and efficient. It was great to have a restaurant in the hotel, and though we didn't expect much, had an excellent dinner delivered by Room Service -- turkey club, tri-tip sandwich, and spaghetti and meatballs, all very tasty and nicely served. Location across from Capitol Park was great, so grandson had a nice "backyard" to play in, and we enjoyed the short walk to the State Capitol. On Thursday there was a Farmer's Market along the park and we bought good, fresh fruit. Try Cafeteria Restaurant across the street, which is NOT a cafeteria, but a pleasant sit-down restaurant with very good food and a lovely outdoor patio.

Room Tip: Studio is cramped for three once the sofa bed is opened -- a one-bedroom would be a better choice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family