“Great location and room”

Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park
Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great location and room”
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights on Marriott points. We found the location ideal for the Capitol building, Governor's Mansion and local restaurants. You can even walk to old town. The breakfast had a good selection, although on the second day the seating area was maxed out with a massive party, so we ended up sitting in the reception area. The parking was a little frustrating as I always ended up on the 7th (top) floor, which almost makes you dizzy driving up and down.

We had a 2 bedroom suite which was perfect and extremely comfortable.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
New York
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Residence Inn for just one day and night from July 22nd to July 23rd using the Couple Getaway package, which included a champagne bottle, hot breakfast buffet, and a late checkout at 2PM, and I couldn't have been happier with our choice. We had come from mountaineering for three days so the spacious studio complete with a kitchenette and King-size bed was a wonderful sight for our sore eyes, bodies, and minds. The room was very clean with a lot of space for two people and modern decor. It was quiet and we had a nice view of the street and part of Capitol Park.

The only cons were the room cards and a faulty bathroom tub plug. It always took us a couple minutes to get into the room because you have to swipe the card at just the right speed to get it to open. We couldn't access the pool area because the cards wouldn't work properly. The bathroom tub would flood during showers because the plug kept sinking down and wouldn't stay up to drain no matter how many times it was manipulated. Since we were only staying for one night, these things didn't bother us too much and staff were apologetic when we informed them of the problems at check-out.

The biggest reason I give this hotel an excellent rating is because of its staff. From reception to checking out and running into staff in-between, the staff at this hotel were always courteous and helpful. I have to especially thank the team of receptionists Virgie and Timmie for their help in planning a birthday surprise for my boyfriend. After dinner and before our return to the room, they snuck into our room to prepare a sweet presentation of the champagne, chocolates, snacks, and a sign wishing him a happy birthday. He had no idea and was very grateful. Thank you both so much for your sweet gesture and effort! The hotel is very lucky to have you as employees.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Sacramento. It's a bit expensive per night, but it's worth the stay. You'll be treated well and the amenities are very clean. The breakfast buffet in the morning was also well-prepared with a good amount of options. The 3 Fires Lounge, accessible within the hotel, was also very chic and had a bar for drinks until 10PM Su-Th/12AM Fr & Sa. You're in the heart of Sacramento; near Capitol Park and Capitol Mall. I would recommend getting a room on a higher floor either facing the pool or Capitol Park.

Room Tip: - Higher floors are quieter with better views - Get to breakfast earlier than later
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andrea-Paula
smoranvi, General Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thank you so much for your very detailed review! We love the feedback and we have shared your review with our team. Personal thank you's were given to Timmie and Virgie for their wonderful surprise. Our staff loves to do the little things to make our guests smile! We hope to see you again. shelly moranville
Centralia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I have been grounded in this great hotel for 8+ weeks now. No plans of moving out soon. I have decided to stay here for good. Needless tosay, this hotel has become my 2nd home away from home. The wonderful hotel staff - from the General Manager who is very responsive by the way, to the friendly front desk folks, to the breakfast servers, to the maintenance/engineering guys, and to their housekeeping - all treated me and my family with their native warmth magnanimity!
They made me and my family feel - "mi casa su casa". I travel a lot and I encounter them all. This hotel and their staff are simply the BEST! Keep up the outstanding job guys! Cara mia Residence Inn Sacramento! BRAVO ... Senor Vince

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Thanks so much for the great review! We do appreciate your feedback and I will be sure to share it with the team. Shelly Moranville
Carmichael, California
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by our 3-day stay at this hotel. We often prefer to eat in our hotel room, and the in-room kitchen was perfect, even a dishwasher. We were attending a convention at the Sac. Convention Center, just across the street. Very good restaurants nearby. Impressed by the hotel staff, as they granted almost every request we had. Minor negatives were limited closet space and the air conditioner blows right onto the bed. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

This hotel is very well appointed and located. Pool, gym, laundry everything a travelling family needs. Air con in rooms is centrally controlled rather than with separate room controls. This hotel is in the business area of downtown and was full due to a convention. Breakfast was chaotic and despite turning up early we took 15 minutes to get a table by which time breakfast was being packed up - be patient and insist on breakfast being fully served. Staff indifferent to comments or feedback - not usual Marriott standard.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2013

No valet parking. Booked this hotel because of the pool, the pool was FREEZING even though I was told it was heated. Partying till 2 am in the restaurant across the street....complete with police involvement. Woke up to no light in the bathroom. Such a disappointing stay.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank JLQuiring
smoranvi, General Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
My apologies for your experience at our hotel. As you can see from the many reviews listed on TripAdvisor this is not the normal experience. I do understand your frustrations around the parking and we are looking at valet as an option for our hotel. The pool was a unforeseen mechanical failure; our engineering team is aware the pool heater broke and the part is on order, we expect it will be fixed Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.

Downtown can be a noisy place no question but nothing beats the location and proximity to so many great restaurants, bars and the capitol.

We do hope you will return in the future and give us an opportunity to show this is not a normal experience. Hopefully you will be able to return to Tripadvisor and provide and alternate review.

Thank you for your comments.

Shelly Moranville
Victoria
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We were mid road trip on a long trip from Victoria BC to Disney and we were looking forward to a nicer place to rest up for the final leg of our trip.....not so much.

First it started with our room--second floor above the entrance of the hotel, possibly the worse room in the hotel??? I sure hope they were full to be allocating that suite! It was dark and loud from the saturday night activity.

We then decided to make a quick dinner. However, the cook top took over 30 mins to boil a big pot of water for the pasta. Moving on, we went to the pool, where groups were enjoying their weekend libations. Not the sort of crowd I expected in a hotel like this but it was interesting. The pool, while quite lovely to look at was FREEZING and it made my kids teeth chatter so I opted to stay dry.

Terrible room locations and cold pool aside, I was still looking forward to a comfy bed and some space from the kids when I was woken up repeatedly from parties. So often and so much so, I couldn't tell if it was the outside street noise or inside. Finally at 5am, I looked outside and realized the streets were empty and called the desk to see about a party down the hall. THey advised they would kick the party out....which they did...and they disbursed into the hallway outside our room to reconfigure their plans. No use in going to sleep by this point.

I will say this. The breakfast was superior. Also the clerk at check out seem genuinly sorry for our trouble and offered to comp our parking, which while appreciated, I would have preferred the hotel removed the partiers well before 5am.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. If you want quiet, request swimming pool view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family