“Anniversary destroyed”

Ranked #2 of 14 Sacramento B&B and Inns
North Highlands, California
“Anniversary destroyed”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We had stayed at this property 3 times before and were pleased. Nice people, clean rooms, good breakfast, and good spa treatments. Well my husband has been working out of state for months. I seen a groupon for an upscale room with a couples massage for $199.00, which is a great deal so I bought it for his birthday a couple months prior but he did not get to come home for his birthday. So when he called me last Friday to let me know that he could fly home for our anniversary which was Monday Feb 10th. I was so excited I booked his flight and immediately call the bed and breakfast to get us booked for Sunday night so we could wake up there on Monday, our anniversary and then he would fly back Monday night. So you see he got in after midnight on Friday so Sat morning, we had Saturday then were do to check into our room with massages on Sunday then back to the airport on Monday. So I set on hold with the employee who informs me that they are no longer taking groupons cause they are under new management and have no contract with groupon, but he did suggest I call groupon to see about getting my money back and they were offering a 30% discount to compensate, and the price would be real close to the groupon price, so after being on the phone with him for aprox. 30 minutes, he finally said ok I got your room booked with a deep tissue couples massage for $219. I said ok thats 20 dif, that will work, thank you. I called group on and they said they were aware of something going on with the place and all they could do was put the $199 back into my groupon account, ok it might take me forever to use it but oh well. Sunday morning the owner calls me and says he needs to confirm us coming in and our spa treatments, he seen it should have been a couples massage but his son the employee only put 1 massage. I said no def I am bringing my husband for our anniversary, he said ok well see you after 4. When we arrive the tell us were the only ones staying that night to have a seat. He then walks out with a peice of paper in his hand and trys to hand it to my husband, well it was my anniversary gift to him since he needs relaxation and a massage he does work so far away from home and his family so i ask for the paper, they keep talking to us and im looking at the paper quite confused cause it says $374.99, that was way over the price I was given on the phone. So I say this is supposed to be $219. He says theres no way it must be wrong cause his son only put 1 massage in, then his wife says well 2 massages are $120, or oh yeh its Sunday arnt they cheeper. The man keeps telling me I am asking him to take a loss. I said Im not asking you to do anything except for honor the price your employee gave my over the phone and that he should be having the discussion with his employee instead of arguing with me. He insisted his price was right and hes sorry he waisted our time because I told him all they had to do on Friday was tell me no and I would have made other arrangements. But instead he ruined our whole evening. We went and had dinner and came back home to the kids and animals and my husband flew back to work the next day. So even with the $219 + 60 still dosnt come up to $375, so not sure about this place any more this was the worst experience of my life with hospitality. Sorry for being so long winded!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Raylene S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
SF Bayarea
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We just spent our second visit here. It is now under new ownership. Kyle, one of the new owners was just like a proud parent showing off his new baby. We arrived Thursday afternoon, the first thing he wanted to do was show us around at the changes that are being made. All I could thing of was, WOW, he's really making this gem of a B&B shine. New tile, paint, fixtures to the rooms in the original house. Modern, but with an oldtime feeling. All the rooms now boast new flatscreen TV's, gone is the cumbersome DVD player combo, but in its place is free Netflix so you have 100's of movies and shows to browse. We stayed in the Dream room again. Just like last time, very comfortable and well equipped. We had mentioned to Kyle that we would be back cider and cheese and crackers later, but we got tied up in Old Towne watching the Christmas light display. He waited til we got back and we had a good time just talking about the history of the place and his future plans for it. BTW, he's working on getting his liquor license, so wine tasting is in the future. Be sure to check out his new service bar.

Breakfast in our room in the morning was outstanding, quiche, bacon, fruit, juice, coffee, and cinnamon rolls. All fresh and homemade, nothing store bought here. Kudus to the chef.

We can't wait to return again and see how this place is shining. The place is still retaining it's Asian heritage and charm, just refurbishing and updating.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jabber60
Jordan K, Manager at Inn and Spa at Parkside, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Thanks so much for the feedback!
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My husband and I chose this spot for our special treat during out vacation in Sept. We stayed in the attic room. Very clean and neat. Really loved the decor. Private hot tub was outstanding. The staff were all great - friendly and helpful. Lovely breakfast. Very pleasant experience!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrsMister
San Rafael, California, USA
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed in the Refresh room which had a Jacuzzi tub. We stayed here after purchasing a LivingSocial voucher that included a couple's massage. The room was nice, the tub was large, and there was a neat little balcony (which was very nice on the warm day that we stayed there), although the balcony was shared with another room. The bed frame of our room stuck out a bit though, and accidentally ran into it a few times. This was only the second bed and breakfast that we've stayed in, but there wasn't as much direction as there could be in terms of how the massage was suppose to work nor for check out or other things. We enjoyed the massage though. They offered a candle in our room, but charged $10 to use it. They did include complimentary bath salts though.

On their website, they supposedly have a reception that includes non-alcoholic beverages and cheeses from 6-8PM, but when we went at 7:30, there was nothing available. The breakfast consisted of fruit, a muffin, three mini-sausages, and a quiche and it was very good. On the day we checked in, they asked us what kind of beverage for breakfast we wanted, but everything was available anyway.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Our stay was brief but magnificent!!! The staff was very accommodating and friendly. We scheduled a massage for two and got the midday rate - great value! The room was spacious, clean and nicely decorated.
The breakfast was nice but would have liked something not so sweet. Overall, we would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Dream room was very nice and private
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dixon, California
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My husband and I spent our wedding night here in the Refresh room. We purchased the Living Social deal, so it was a good value. The room is absolutely beautiful with a nice big jetted tub complete with a fireplace. The bed was very comfortable. We did a late check in (about midnight) and had to call to get the code to enter the building, but it only took a few minutes. Breakfast was okay - waffles with some type of berry puree and bacon crumbles. There is no fridge or microwave in the room, though, so we weren't able to eat the dinner from our wedding that our caterer so kindly wrapped up :(

Overall, beautiful place. Would like to return and spend a little more time there, perhaps a spa treatment too.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
San Bruno
Reviewed 29 August 2013

My husband and I stayed one night using a Living Social coupon. We checked in about 4:30 for our stay in the Happiness room. We had read reviews mentioning strawberries waiting in the room and the coupon mentioned an early evening cheese/crackers/fruit and cider event. None of this was provided while we were there and started me off in a bad mood. Of 4 couples having breakfast the next morning, two had had strawberries waiting and two not. Go figure. Warning: if you are 6 ft or taller I would not recommend this room. It is in an attic with sloping walls everywhere. Within 60 minutes my husband (under 6 ft) hit his head twice and I banged my leg at the end of the bed where the frame sticks out past the mattress. It is on the third floor and you need to climb a spiral staircase to reach the room. There is air conditioning in this room, a nice kitchenette, a double shower with sloping ceiling so not good for tall folks, nice lighting though two lights had burned out bulbs. Good tv channel selections, fireplace in bedroom worked but not in the bathroom. Toilet was very slow flushing and had to be flushed twice sometimes. Toilet seat needs to be replaced as there were stains on the seat lid. Breakfast was nice but only milk or dry creamer were available for coffee. As our massage was at 10:30 we were asked to be out of our room before the massage and we left our suitcases in the office. Now for the couples massage: What a WONDERFUL experience. We had Karessa and Michael and I highly recommend requesting them. The lighting was soft, relaxing music and they didn't try and carry on a conversation while giving a relaxing massage. After the massage we had a half hour for a jacuzzi bath with the strawberries and cider (finally). Our privacy was respected, robes provided, heated massage tables, clean space. We would return if we lived closer.

Room Tip: Some rooms have lower ceilings so if you are tall you may want to check on the ceiling height of the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple