“wonderful”

Inn and Spa at Parkside
Ranked #2 of 13 Sacramento B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I would highly recommend this B&B for anyone wanting a high end get away.
Excellent & friendly service to compliment beautiful accommodations. The host Kyle was very enthusiastic about his place. Recommended good local restaurants.

Room Tip: all rooms deluxe
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 8 April 2014

II loved this place from the beggining quiet place, it is nice and really clean, room was beautiful, breakfast was delicious !!! It was a great option instead of a Hotel, completely happy , coming back for sure!!!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My fiancé booked the Lounge room for our anniversary. Upon entering, the room was great. There was even a card that read "Happy anniversary Will and Stephanie". The only problem is our names are not Will or Stephanie. We enjoyed the night, and waited around for our breakfast-in-bed, but it never arrived. I eventually called the front desk and the lady stated that we did not order breakfast in bed. However, we did, because I was sitting next to my fiancé when he booked the room and he clearly stated breakfast in bed. We decided to say F-it and go get breakfast somewhere else. When I went to return the room key and bring the "not so thoughtful@ card, the front desk associate stated that the card was left from the last guests.
That really put the icing on the cake. If the cleaning staff could not even notice the card that was left while cleaning the room, I wonder what else was left behind.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The first thing I noticed about this B&B compared to others we've stayed at is that it is not the typical country or Victorian theme. The original building has a great combination of the quirky old charm and updated elegance. For instance the bedding and bed were modern and comfortable, while the bathrooms retains their original art-deco charm. We stayed in the Happiness room which had the WOW factor as soon as we walked in and saw the incredibly spacious bedroom with fireplace, huge bathroom and bar area with mini fridge. However, remember it's an old building, and this room is on the third floor in the attic space, so it's not the room for exceptionally tall people if you are bothered by low ceilings. That said, my husband is 6'2" and he was fine with it, although he did have to stoop in the shower and he had to be careful to stay in the path of the peak when moving from the bedroom to the bathroom. If this is a negative for you, there are plenty of other rooms with ample head room! Also, this room is at the top of a circular staircase, so that too could be a drawback for some, but once you reach the top you see a beautiful stained glass window flooding the bathroom with natural light and a romantically cozy bedroom area in the other direction. We loved it!

As another reviewer noted, the new owner, Kyle, is proud of the improvements they are making and is happy to show the place off. He took us on a gracious tour of the property. This is when I noted another huge plus for this B&B compared to most that I've seen - while it's true (as someone else noted) that some of the bathrooms are contained within the room and don't have much privacy from your traveling partner, all of the rooms seem to have their own bathrooms rather than one that you have to share with complete strangers which is a big step up in privacy in my book! Kyle acknowledges they are still in the process of making improvements, they recently added a powder room in the main building to make things more comfortable for their spa guests, which was a very positive addition. There were two buildings - the larger, historic mansion, and the newer building where everything was much more modern if this is your preference.

The spa is down in the basement and while there is only the aforementioned powder room to freshen up if you are not staying in a room, I had one of the best massages of my life and will definitely consider going back just for another massage! If you are staying there, each room has spa slippers and a robe, so I showered in my room and went straight down to the spa when I was ready. I have some very sensitive areas on my back - my massage therapist listened to my concerns and accommodated them perfectly.

Breakfast the next morning was superb - very fresh and frankly more than I could eat!

I would definitely recommend this place for a romantic getaway, girls night, or special event if you can rent out one or both of the buildings.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We had stayed at this property 3 times before and were pleased. Nice people, clean rooms, good breakfast, and good spa treatments. Well my husband has been working out of state for months. I seen a groupon for an upscale room with a couples massage for $199.00, which is a great deal so I bought it for his birthday a couple months prior but he did not get to come home for his birthday. So when he called me last Friday to let me know that he could fly home for our anniversary which was Monday Feb 10th. I was so excited I booked his flight and immediately call the bed and breakfast to get us booked for Sunday night so we could wake up there on Monday, our anniversary and then he would fly back Monday night. So you see he got in after midnight on Friday so Sat morning, we had Saturday then were do to check into our room with massages on Sunday then back to the airport on Monday. So I set on hold with the employee who informs me that they are no longer taking groupons cause they are under new management and have no contract with groupon, but he did suggest I call groupon to see about getting my money back and they were offering a 30% discount to compensate, and the price would be real close to the groupon price, so after being on the phone with him for aprox. 30 minutes, he finally said ok I got your room booked with a deep tissue couples massage for $219. I said ok thats 20 dif, that will work, thank you. I called group on and they said they were aware of something going on with the place and all they could do was put the $199 back into my groupon account, ok it might take me forever to use it but oh well. Sunday morning the owner calls me and says he needs to confirm us coming in and our spa treatments, he seen it should have been a couples massage but his son the employee only put 1 massage. I said no def I am bringing my husband for our anniversary, he said ok well see you after 4. When we arrive the tell us were the only ones staying that night to have a seat. He then walks out with a peice of paper in his hand and trys to hand it to my husband, well it was my anniversary gift to him since he needs relaxation and a massage he does work so far away from home and his family so i ask for the paper, they keep talking to us and im looking at the paper quite confused cause it says $374.99, that was way over the price I was given on the phone. So I say this is supposed to be $219. He says theres no way it must be wrong cause his son only put 1 massage in, then his wife says well 2 massages are $120, or oh yeh its Sunday arnt they cheeper. The man keeps telling me I am asking him to take a loss. I said Im not asking you to do anything except for honor the price your employee gave my over the phone and that he should be having the discussion with his employee instead of arguing with me. He insisted his price was right and hes sorry he waisted our time because I told him all they had to do on Friday was tell me no and I would have made other arrangements. But instead he ruined our whole evening. We went and had dinner and came back home to the kids and animals and my husband flew back to work the next day. So even with the $219 + 60 still dosnt come up to $375, so not sure about this place any more this was the worst experience of my life with hospitality. Sorry for being so long winded!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Raylene S
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We just spent our second visit here. It is now under new ownership. Kyle, one of the new owners was just like a proud parent showing off his new baby. We arrived Thursday afternoon, the first thing he wanted to do was show us around at the changes that are being made. All I could thing of was, WOW, he's really making this gem of a B&B shine. New tile, paint, fixtures to the rooms in the original house. Modern, but with an oldtime feeling. All the rooms now boast new flatscreen TV's, gone is the cumbersome DVD player combo, but in its place is free Netflix so you have 100's of movies and shows to browse. We stayed in the Dream room again. Just like last time, very comfortable and well equipped. We had mentioned to Kyle that we would be back cider and cheese and crackers later, but we got tied up in Old Towne watching the Christmas light display. He waited til we got back and we had a good time just talking about the history of the place and his future plans for it. BTW, he's working on getting his liquor license, so wine tasting is in the future. Be sure to check out his new service bar.

Breakfast in our room in the morning was outstanding, quiche, bacon, fruit, juice, coffee, and cinnamon rolls. All fresh and homemade, nothing store bought here. Kudus to the chef.

We can't wait to return again and see how this place is shining. The place is still retaining it's Asian heritage and charm, just refurbishing and updating.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jabber60
Jordan K, Manager at Inn and Spa at Parkside, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Reviewed 8 December 2013

My husband and I chose this spot for our special treat during out vacation in Sept. We stayed in the attic room. Very clean and neat. Really loved the decor. Private hot tub was outstanding. The staff were all great - friendly and helpful. Lovely breakfast. Very pleasant experience!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple