“Not quite as expected”

Inn and Spa at Parkside
Ranked #2 of 14 Sacramento B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I'd like to start by saying the operators of this bed and breakfast were lovely. They were friendly and helpful at every opportunity. It makes writing the rest of the review difficult.

My husband and I were looking forward to a night away in luxury. Unfortunately our expensive stay in "Happiness" did not deliver. The room was fine overall, but not something you would spend over $250 for. The room needs updating desperately. This is particularly true of the bathroom that looks like it was done in the 80's. The floor in the bed area is unfinished (no trim)!

I think this Inn has potential. I wish them the best.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I wish I could have stayed longer and fully appreciate the breakfasts but I appreciated the great, comfy rooms and very hospitable service. Stayed in the Balance Room, had to check in late the first night but it was no problem. They helped arrange all cabs. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Amazing! Stayed here in the Happiness suite and the room was incredible! The lit spa was amazing, and the owner was awesome. Booked another suite for next week the day I checked out. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I needed a local getaway to let our hair down for an evening and let the teenagers fend for themselves at home for the night. Our room was in the Villa next to the Mansion on the top floor and absolutely beautiful! It was 102 degrees outside and the room was a bit warm, so I thought I would ask for the possibility of a cooler room. The service is impeccable and I was given a grand tour by the owner and a choice of whatever room was available. We did choose a different room only because it had a lovely balcony and being on the 2nd floor it was really cool. The breakfast was fantastic and I am looking for excuses to go back and plan on having or company Xmas party there.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My husband and I didn't really have a chance for a honeymoon after our wedding. We decided this year to really "go all out" to celebrate our first anniversary; however, we decided fairly late to do so. I was delighted when I called the Inn that not only was there availability, but everything we wanted to do (couples massage, Jacuzzi suite) were all bookable. We had such a wonderful time! The hosts were super sweet and very accommodating. The room was beautiful and comfortable. The only minor, minor issues were, as it is an older dwelling, there was a slightly strange smell in the bedroom and it was difficult to get in and out of the Jacuzzi. Also, the pipes seemingly howled after we ran the hot water. These were all minor, minor issues considering the fun we had. I would also recommend a sandwich shop near the Inn, Dad's Sandwich shop for a really great "hole-in-the-wall", local, delish sandwich. And, for dessert Gretchen Elizabeth Chocolatier, where the macarons are just to die. Who knew Old Sacramento could be so fun, romantic and affordable. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Jordan K, Manager at Inn and Spa at Parkside, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

We are so glad that we could be a part of your special day. Thanks for the review and we hope to see you back next year for your second anniversary visit!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

My wife found The Inn at Parkside for our Anniversary. We only stayed one night, but it was absolutely perfect. We stayed in Happiness. It was beautifully decorated and prepared for our arrival. We met the owners (wonderful and funny people). They delivered breakfast to our room (on time). The breakfast and spa treatment were both incredible. We both have Massage Envy memberships, but also both agreed that the massages we received put the massages we'd been getting to shame. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The owner is hospitable, welcoming, and attentive; he goes out of his way. He stayed up late for our arrival and showed us in, despite having sent us easy instructions for access. He's thoroughly professional.

Two elegant old houses, side by side, comprise the B&B. Everything is clean, comfortable, spacious and well appointed. We were a little taken aback to find that the shower and jacuzzi are in the bedroom, but most people would love that. The new owners are redecorating to their own taste gradually.

The lounge and courtyard are delightful. Plenty of introductory material for visitors is available.

The location is perfect, by a park in a pretty residential neighborhood just a few blocks from the river and downtown; at most, fifteen minutes on foot.

The cooked breakfast can be too adventurous, for example, rosemary flavored egg & potato dishes aren't to my taste. However, the juice, yoghurt and fresh fruit dishes are outstanding. A bruleed yoghurt & fruit dish was delicious.

To summaries, I'd not hesitate to recommend this B&B to other travelers.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends