“Best place I stayed in Norther California”
Review of Delta King

Delta King
Ranked #18 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Brussels
“Best place I stayed in Norther California”
Reviewed 19 October 2009

This unique experience is worth the money and the cabin sized rooms. The location is terrific, in the heart of old sacramento, the only place where anything is happening at night in this town. And despite its proximity to the old town, it's a quiet place to sleep. We spent two nights on the Delta King on a tour of wine and gold country in mid-May and absolutely loved our stay here.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Stayed at the Delta King after a family event held at one of the beautiful private dining rooms. The views were fantastic - beautiful sunset over the river. It was very hot outside, but nice and cool inside, with big windows to look out on the river. The food was excellent, as was the wine. The service is the best in Sacramento, by far. We could enjoy ourselves without worrying about driving since we spent the night. The rooms were great, very elegant. I highly recommend this hotel and restaurant.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Neverwong
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 3 September 2009

My husband and I enjoyed a weekend at the Delta King to have a "Staycation" in Sacramento. I've lived in Sacramento for several years now, but never seemed to have explored the pleasures that the city has to offer, so we decided to stay at the Delta King for a couple nights. The rooms were quaint and extremely cozy - perfect for what we were looking for. It was also conveniently located in downtown. Our meals at the Pilothouse Restaurant were also AMAZING; most notable was the Brunch on the weekend - the spread was delicious. The Delta King is highly recommended from this couple!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank brewer43
Tahoe, California
Reviewed 1 September 2009

Do not miss the restaurant. Sacramento's real gourmet experience. The staff is extremely accomodating, the way only a small hotel can be. The rooms only have queen size beds, which is fine with me.

They have just rennovated the rooms and restaurant. Very clean and nice.

The lounge and decks, with views of the river, are very nice.

I've stayed here about 10 times this year. For me, it is Sacramento's do not miss attraction. The hotel is an authentic, historic riverboat. Really remarkable what they have done.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank DanTahoe
San Francisco
Reviewed 29 August 2009

From the first moment you step foot on the Delta King you know this is going to be a unique hotel experience. Views up and down the river cannot be beat, especially at night when the famous Tower Bridge is all lit up. The rooms are smaller than typical but that's expected on a historical riverboat. Furnishings are appropriate for the period, and there are modern touches like good air conditioning (needed in the Summer) and flat screen TV's with cable services. The staff is pleasant and enthusiastic about the riverboat hotel and its unique features and history.
The Delta Lounge is a fun bar with live music most nights, and the Pilothouse Restaurant is definitely the most romantic restaurant you can hope to find... very good views, service and food.
Old Sacramento is the place to be if you want to explore California history and be in the heart of the action. Numerous restaurants and shops to enjoy, in addition to the Smithsonian quality State Railroad Museum, State Capitol building, Sutter's Fort, etc.
We had a great time, and we loved the boat!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank edc711
California
Reviewed 27 August 2009

I stayed at the Delta King for a Wedding. There was a street fair going on that day and the valet was about 4 blocks from the hotel. After schlepping my own bags 4 blocks down a wooden sidewalk I arrived at the cramped boat dripping in sweat...it was 105 degrees. All this wasn't actually that bad, as we were excited about the upcoming wedding. The room was small and the AC worked great. Later at the wedding reception it seemed the AC quit working. A room of approx. 90 people were sweating profusely! The next morning all the guests were leaving. We went out to find our cars (the fron desk said they were right out front) only to find them parked so close to each other that no one could get out. There was a car parked horizontally in front of mine and no valet to be seen. One guest ventured back inside the hotel to ask the front desk and found that all of our keys were back inside. We all went BACK inside, got our keys and then waited as one car inched it's way out of the puzzle at a time. Bad enough, right?
Later that week I noticed that a piece of luggage I left in my trunk while my car was valeted was missing. I had left a few items that I didn't need because as you remember I had a 4 block hike in 105 degree heat to conted with. I called the front desk knowing to ask if there had been anything turned in by the valet, knowing full well that he watched me place it in the trunk. The woman assured me that they wouldn't have stolen it, but said she'd check around and call me back. About an hour later I got a message...no one had returned it. I called back to speak with the woman & left her a message. 2 weeks later, still no call back. I called again and left a message for yet another person and to date (it's been 2 months now) still not a call.
Apparently they don't care about return customers. With their great location (walking distance to night life) I would definitely have stayed again, maybe not had a wedding there, but stayed for a night on the town...now I'd rather give my money to a transient.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank CaliTravelH
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2009

Stayed for 1 night on a fly drive tour of Northern California and glad it was not any longer..The Delta King may have made an excellent paddle steamer but as a hotel apart from location in Old Sacramento is not to be recommended..The main problem is the size of the bedrooms which even by British standards are way too small, in fact claustrophobic would be a better description..The bathroom was even worse..A great pity really as the novelty of staying on a converted paddle steamer is a selling point and the meal in the Pilothouse restaurant was one of the best I have had in the USA...

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple