“Convenient for an "Old Sacramento" touring”

Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza
Ranked #29 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersBronze level
hawaii
“Convenient for an "Old Sacramento" touring”
Reviewed 16 November 2007

Our trip to Sacramento was a combo pleasure/business trip. We choose this hotel because of its close proximity to "Old Sacramento", which we wanted to tour. There is also a mall next door for you shoppers. Various restaurants were found in Old Sacramento. We enjoyed the lounge, though certain nights some bartenders were more attentive than others. The hotel restaurant is just okay for breakfast if you don't want to venture far in the morning. Dinner was okay too, nothing to get excited about, but we would eat there again if we had to. The rooms were comfortable, nothing to grumble about. The staff was okay and courteous, but I was not overly impressed with them. Overall if I don't find another comparable hotel, I will probably book here again.

• Liked — Close proximity to
  • Disliked — One night the noise from a
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 16 October 2007

A comfortable and well appointed room. Freeway noise has been mentioned. This is true but there is some advantage if you ask for a room to the east end of the building. I am a light sleeper but the sound of the a/c fan made for a good night.

Staff is very helpful. Old Town is close-by and gained by a pedestrian tunnel route under the street and adjacent highway.
A mall is just steps away for dining and various needs.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank Rt66tbird
san francisco
Reviewed 5 October 2007

I booked via Internet and they charged my account for the full amount $134.78. I had to cancel two weeks before my reservation date and they refused to refund my money. They're keeping $134.78 even though I cancelled well ahead of my arrival date. I'm fighting it, but BEWARE of this hotel.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Sacramento hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 September 2007

We were given exactly the type of room that we had reserved, something we no longer take for granted. Front desk staff were efficient, friendly and very helpful, both those who checked us in and those we talked to later. Our room was pleasant, clean, comfortable, and spacious enough. Beds were comfortable, housekeeping was thorough, and air-conditioning was very effective, though noisy. Noise from the freeway was a problem, even when wearing ear plugs. The bellman was very helpful and friendly. It was a nuisance to have to park in the city-owned garage next door, but we didn't need to use our car at all during our stay because the hotel was within walking distance of everything we wanted to see -- the State Capitol, Old Sacramento, Railroad Museum, Crocker Art Museum, movie theatre in the adjacent mall. Food was a major problem, however. The hotel's restaurant, The Cyprus Grille, provided the worst restaurant meal I've ever had -- exceptionally slow and unpleasant service, undrinkable wine, wet iceberg lettuce salad, and chicken and dumplings with exactly three minuscule pieces of stringy chicken and a lot of gummy dumplings in a watery, salty gravy. Restaurant staff did offer to bring substitutions, but I declined, having no hope that the replacements would be any better. I was not charged for my meal, because it was truly inedible, but if I had been, I would have refused to pay, something I've never even contemplated before. After wasting fifty minutes there, hungry, tired, and frustrated, I went to Starbucks in the mall and had a delcidious egg salad sandwich.

• Liked — Nice room, well-maintained property, helpful staff
  • Disliked — Restaurant -- Cyprus Grille
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kurseni
Warrington, England
Reviewed 19 August 2007

We stayed here in May 2007. We arrived late thanks to the Amtrak Zephyr, but the 5 minute walk from the station was well lit and felt safe. We had booked 2 rooms, but only 1 was showing. Thankfully they were not fully booked and the reception staff were able to help us. The hotel had a good outdoor pool and is only 2 seconds from Denny's for breakfast and close to the old town and the very good Railroad Museum. The room was fine but it was pricey - although probably the same as most Sacramento hotels of this grade.

• Liked — The pool
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
Oregon
Reviewed 4 August 2007

We booked two rooms the night before on Hotwire. We had 4 children with us. We were pleasantly surprised with all of the amenities that this 3-star hotel offered: a very attractive lobby, updated restaurant facilities with free meals for children, a gift store, fitness facility with very nice equipment, valet parking, free newspaper, apples at the check-in counter, etc. The rooms were nicely decorated/updated, comfortable,and quiet. The staff was very friendly and helpful. A fridge in the room would've been nice, but not necessary. The location just off of the interstate was very convenient as we were travelling from LA to Oregon.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
Marina
Reviewed 30 July 2007

I was in Sacramento for 2 nights to visit family. At check-in. It toke the young lady 20 min to check me in. She was so busy talking getto back in fourth with her other co-worker that it was just uncalled for. So if you ever go to check-in. Make sure you dont get the young lady with the hafe black an blond hair. Because you are going to stand awhile. As for my room. Very nice. Except there is a freeway right outside my window. Noise all night. Not sound proof at all. Only feather pillows on the bed. I had a room with a connecting door. Didn't ask for it. An never will. Heard every noise the guest next door made. Kids yelling. An running in an out slamming the door. It was like a zoo. Asked the housekeeper where a Starbucks was. She toke me into a vacant room. Where she pointing down the street. There is one right outside the hotel near a small shopping center. I had seen other guest with coffee. An they directed me in the right direction. I will never stay there again. EVER!!!

• Liked — Room service attendent very nice an friendly.
  • Disliked — Front desk staff. No hot water in shower, freeway noise, connecting door to room.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family